PDA

View Full Version : Blue Chips: Who's migrated to non-beveled (round bevel)?

terzinator
Jan-11-2016, 3:20pm
Was playing with a buddy over the weekend, and he had a TPR-60 NON-beveled BC. Tried it and liked it. (But it seems that way with every "different" BC I try. I've probably had a dozen over the past five years, but only have four currently, and all are beveled.)

But this non-beveled one had a nice, thick tone to it. It was the TPR shape, which is more rounded than the TAD's I usually use. But it didn't sound "soft." It was full and rich. Sometimes the bevel will thin out the tone, as the leading edge is literally thinner.

Anyway, curious about those who have chosen non-beveled over beveled, and which one(s) you're using. And why.

And, if it's not to much trouble, also share what kind of rub you use on your barbecued ribs.

EDIT: I should say "round" bevel, not "non" bevel, right?

Mandomax
Jan-11-2016, 3:43pm
I use a non-beveled 2.0mm bluechip, the one that looks like a Dunlop delrin 2.0mm. I bought it in May, and it is now getting a bevel from repeated play wear. It is not pronounced by any means, but it is noticeable. I prefer non-beveled picks, and when I used delrin, I would switch it out when the bevel became apparent. I am curious as to how pronounced the blue chip's bevel will become after another 6-7 months.

Stevo75
Jan-11-2016, 3:50pm
I think I'm one of the few people who do not like the tone of BC picks. They seem thin to me in comparison to other picks. The tone seems thin, not the physical thickness of the pick. I have tried BC picks in the same thickness as the other picks I like to use. I think the problem might be the speed bevel. Before completely giving up on BC picks I was thinking of trying a round bevel. I'm curious what others think and I'll post my experience if I end up getting a round bevel BC.

I have tried the TAD 50 and the TP 60 both with the speed bevel. I like the pointed corners and not the round corners.

FYI, the picks I tend to like better are: Fender Extra Heavy celluloid (both triangle and standard tear trop), Dunlop Prime tone 1.4 large triangle (oddly enough this has a speed bevel but I still like the tone), Pro Plec 1.5 triangle and tear drop, Wegen 1.4 large triangle with speed bevel, Dunlop 205.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, round bevel not non-bevel

Nathan Kellstadt
Jan-11-2016, 4:07pm
My favorite pick is a TAD60-3R with the round bevel.

terzinator
Jan-11-2016, 4:19pm
That's kind of the direction I'm heading. I have a TAD60-3R, but I also really like my TAD80. (Both with the speed bevel.)

Curious about creating a TAD80-3R round bevel, but not seeing that monster on the site.

Zach Wilson
Jan-11-2016, 4:24pm
Interesting. I didn't know getting a round bevel was an option for Blue Chip. I really haven't checked them out either though.

Perry Babasin
Jan-11-2016, 6:16pm
I shied away from these for a long time because of the hype and expense. Finally, about a month ago I got a TAD-3R 60 with round bevel thinking it might be somewhat similar to the venerable Dawg pick which has been my choice for years. As it goes, it is similar but with a little sharper attack, which I really like. Still nice round tone but with a little more kick and less effort to pull it out. Great tremolo too! I might even spring for an 80 version which would be a special order I think.

I use different combinations of rubs but lately I have been including some "South African Smoke" in a grinder bottle from Trader Joes. It has a variety of spices including a healthy dose of paprika, all smoked and very aromatic and delicious!

yankees1
Jan-11-2016, 6:22pm
I presently play with the TAD45 and CT55 and love the tone both produce and have never played with any other pick that compares as favorably ! The Primetone 1.5 is my second choice .

mandobassman
Jan-11-2016, 8:05pm
I think the problem might be the speed bevel. Before completely giving up on BC picks I was thinking of trying a round bevel. I'm curious what others think and I'll post my experience if I end up getting a round bevel BC

I have tried a couple of Blue Chips and a Wegen in both beveled and non-beveled edges and I can say with certainty that the bevel makes a huge difference in tone. The first Blue Chip I tried was a TAD 60, mainly because it was the closest I could get to the Fender Extra Heavy 346 shape I had been using. I definitely found the beveled version too bright and thin, with a very hard-edged tone. At some point I ordered one with a rounded edge and, wow, what a difference. Much fuller tone and less bright. I did the same thing with a Wegen. I basically ordered a TF140 at a 1.8mm thickness instead of 1.4mm and eliminated the bevel. Same result. I used that one Wegen pick for about four years and loved the tone. It's the only Wegen that I have liked.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I'm using now, except mine is a 50. Love it!

Mark Wilson
Jan-11-2016, 8:27pm
At one time I went thru 6-8 of them trying them out. One was non bevel and I was digging the tone of it until I lost it. Sounds good on the A/E strings. Sold most but I was planning to keep the nonbevel tp along with my tp1R beveled.

Would depend on your pick technique and mandolin of course. For me it makes the pick sound thicker.

msargent
Jan-11-2016, 9:09pm
I tried a CT55 round bevel for a while - it had a beautiful round tone (I think I wrote about it in a separate post somewhere), but I couldn't get the volume/cut in a band setting that I could with the beveled CT55. I ended up selling it in the classified section.

I use a TD50 round bevel for electric guitar and absolutely love it.

Stevo75
Jan-11-2016, 9:22pm
I have tried a couple of Blue Chips and a Wegen in both beveled and non-beveled edges and I can say with certainty that the bevel makes a huge difference in tone. The first Blue Chip I tried was a TAD 60, mainly because it was the closest I could get to the Fender Extra Heavy 346 shape I had been using. I definitely found the beveled version too bright and thin, with a very hard-edged tone. At some point I ordered one with a rounded edge and, wow, what a difference. Much fuller tone and less bright. I did the same thing with a Wegen. I basically ordered a TF140 at a 1.8mm thickness instead of 1.4mm and eliminated the bevel. Same result. I used that one Wegen pick for about four years and loved the tone. It's the only Wegen that I have liked.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll sell my TAD 50 with the speed bevel and try a TAD 50 with the rounded bevel

mandobassman
Jan-11-2016, 10:16pm
Thanks for the info. I think I'll sell my TAD 50 with the speed bevel and try a TAD 50 with the rounded bevel

I actually had the TAD 50 with a round bevel for a while and it sounded nearly identical to the Fender Extra Heavy (which is the same thickness as the 50). The difference came from the better feel in my hand and much better glide off the strings. So smooth. That's where it had the Fender beat, IMO.

PVia
Jan-11-2016, 10:32pm
My first BC was a CT55 with the bevel. I found it a bit bright...I sanded the bevel off one end and it's much better, but not as good as the CT55 round bevel that comes straight from them.

The I ordered a CT55 round bevel...perfect for me. Good tonal weight on the bottom strings and not too harsh up top.

Recently tried a few Wegens (120 and 140)...the bevels make them pretty bright to my ears. I filed/sanded the bevel off one corner of each and they now sound pretty good, a decent alternative. Does Wegen make these without the bevel...? Couldn't find any info about that...

A friend recently gave me a tortoise pick that he made from an old bracelet. It's about 1.3-4mm and it sounds terrific. I was surprised how well it stacks up against the BC. Nice and thick fundamental without muddiness, and a very musical top end without harshness.

Ron McMillan
Jan-11-2016, 11:12pm
CT gave up on BC so I'm content with PT

terzinator
Jan-12-2016, 10:11am
CT gave up on BC so I'm content with PT
Huh? I got Chris Thile, but still working on PT.

Peter Tork from the Monkeys
Pete Townshend from the Who
Paul Tagliabue, former NFL commissioner

Just found out they don't make a TAD80-3R, so it would be custom. But they can do it. What I might do is order a stock TAD80-1R round bevel, just to see if I like it. Then I can try the bevel on the two different kinds of points.

Then, return it and get the one I prefer.

Or maybe just live with what I have and buy a good bottle of bourbon. ~:>

Phil Goodson
Jan-12-2016, 10:28am
I tried a round bevel TAD 60 a couple of years ago and migrated away from it. Can't remember what I did with it. Hmmm.

I think it's often easy to not notice what our pick angle of attack is. I know that I often find myself changing the angle a little, depending on the music. For me, the bevel seems to determine what attack angle is necessary to get the best sound. Usually a more flat straight-on attack with the round bevel and a more angled attack with the speed bevel.

I suspect that our attack angle habits influence which bevel we prefer.
Just my thoughts.

Stevo75
Jan-12-2016, 11:04am
Yeah, I've noticed that the angle of attack greatly affects the tone and that the speed bevel requires a greater angle of attack to get a thicker tone. My angle of attack is pretty flat and I think that's why I don't like the BC speed bevel. And the reverse seems true for a round bevel. When I'm using a Pro Plec 1.5 I need to keep the attack flat or else I start to lose volume and brightness. Ideally, I like something in the middle: not the steep angle of attack that the BC speed bevel requires but not as flat as the Pro Plec 1.5 requires.

I always used to use the Fender Extra Heavy 346 (triangle) but I can't find them anymore and I heard they stopped making them. So that's what started my latest search for my new favorite pick. So far the Primetone 1.4 is in the lead but I am liking the Dunlop 205 even though it is a tiny pick.

I think the "PT" a few posts back is for Prime Tone. Did Chris Thile stop using BC picks?

terzinator
Jan-12-2016, 11:08am
I think the "PT" a few posts back is for Prime Tone. Did Chris Thile stop using BC picks?
Thile's still on the BC site, FWIW.

http://www.bluechippick.net/chris-thile/

PT = Prime Tone. Roger that.

Phil Goodson
Jan-12-2016, 11:18am
Yeah, I've noticed that the angle of attack greatly affects the tone and that the speed bevel requires a greater angle of attack to get a thicker tone. My angle of attack is pretty flat and I think that's why I don't like the BC speed bevel. And the reverse seems true for a round bevel. When I'm using a Pro Plec 1.5 I need to keep the attack flat or else I start to lose volume and brightness. ...

Exactly!
If you think about what actually strikes the string in each case, it's apparent that a flat attack with a speed bevel applies a smaller area of contact with the string. An attack angle that is equal to the angle of the bevel will approximate a flat attack.
It all makes sense.

terzinator
Jan-12-2016, 11:22am
I'm glad y'all brought up the pick-attack thing. I was playing last night, and looking at this, noticing how the pick was hitting the strings. I remember John Reischman (in his Loar F5 video) talking about how he basically had a "reverse" attack. He might even need a left-handed bevel.

I think mine must be flatter, because of how much fuller my buddy's round-bevel BC sounded.

Snake-oil salesmen, take my money!

Nathan Kellstadt
Jan-12-2016, 12:54pm
Or maybe just live with what I have and buy a good bottle of bourbon. ~:>

It's funny how often I come to that same conclusion.

I think mine must be flatter, because of how much fuller my buddy's round-bevel BC sounded.

That's why I use the round bevel. My angle (or lack thereof) of attack doesn't match up with the bevel on pre-beveled picks.

Stevo75
Jan-12-2016, 1:03pm
FYI, if you do buy a BC pick and return it, don't be stupid like me and put it in an envelop and send it off. No tracking number that way. Mine got "lost" in the mail and now I'm out $35. My guess is someone in the USPS knew what it was and decided to keep it for themselves...

terzinator
Jan-12-2016, 1:08pm
We need an "off-topic" section so we can discuss bourbon, bicycles, barbecue and snowblowers.

mandroid
Jan-12-2016, 1:24pm
BC gotten 2nd hand there has been a migration of different ones to different mandolin cases.

BrianWilliam
Jan-12-2016, 3:15pm
We need an "off-topic" section so we can discuss bourbon, bicycles, barbecue and snowblowers.

I bought a Troybilt 2410 second hand so I had more cash for a mandolin. Still running well thought this winter hasn't been tough. Same sort of deal for my BBQ.

I do have a weakness for bourbon and bicycles....

terzinator
Jan-12-2016, 3:24pm
I bought a Troybilt 2410 second hand so I had more cash for a mandolin. Still running well thought this winter hasn't been tough. Same sort of deal for my BBQ.

I do have a weakness for bourbon and bicycles....
Roger that. I went with an Ariens two-stage. My neighbor, who's a canine cop, said they're the best, and he's got at least 100 lbs on me, so I just nod and agree. Satisfied so far. My Surly Steamroller fixed gear bike has snow tires on it, but it's been too cold the last few days to ride. I just come home from work, have a dram of Elmer T. Lee and grill a ribeye on my Weber. Grill.

Vikings lost. Packers won. Sigh.

I ordered the TAD80-1R Round Bevel like an hour ago, and they already shipped it. Just thought I'd make a half-hearted attempt to keep on topic.

BrianWilliam
Jan-12-2016, 3:55pm
Elmer T. Lee is on my list. I was impressed by the standard BT too. Better than I thought it was going to be.

My CT55 (beveled) works great for some mandolins. But, for now, I'm back to my wegen tf140.

gtani7
Jan-12-2016, 5:59pm
I have a beveled triangle TP-1r, and non-beveled jazz 60 and TD-1r. My pick angle to the strings varies if i'm anchoring pinky or heel of hand, and how high my elbow is. I was thinking of trying a LH bevel as well for the heck of it.

Zach Wilson
Jan-13-2016, 10:11am
I didn't realize that my pick grip wasn't optimal until I got a pick with a speed bevel. I would have needed a left handed bevel for it to help.... Im right handed. :)

Now, after practicing my new (correct... more optimal) grip I see how a speed bevel can help. I still prefer rounded or non beveled pick though. Held the correct way that is.

Pete Counter
Jan-14-2016, 8:49pm
I Hated the tone of my CT55 with the speed bevel, traded for the round bevel and now I can fly and see through walls!

terzinator
Jan-14-2016, 10:55pm
I Hated the tone of my CT55 with the speed bevel, traded for the round bevel and now I can fly and see through walls!
You can totally save on shipping costs now.

terzinator
Jan-15-2016, 5:49pm
Oh for the love of God.

Got the shiny new BC in the mail today, and all I can say is I HATE it.

The tone from this round-beveled TAD80-1R sounds muffled and soft and muted. The rounded point is a disaster.

The tone from my old speed-beveled TAD-80 is louder, crisper, fuller.

My guess is that a round-beveled 60 would be better, because the 80 is just too thick without a speed bevel. But I really like the extra thickness in the pick itself.

Now, whether to just return it and cut my losses or exchange it for something else.

Maybe a TAD-100 with a speed bevel! Go big or go home, right? In for a penny, in for a pound, right?

Am I right?

No, I am not. (Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 is on sale this week. My financial guy says that's probably a better investment.)

drkix
Feb-01-2016, 10:34pm
CT from a couple days ago clearly using a Wegen.
https://www.facebook.com/PrairieHomeCompanion/videos/1090263501018341/?fref=nf

Kit

WW52
Feb-02-2016, 1:30am
I have a TPR45 with a round bevel and mostly like it--some days more, some days a little less. I ordered a TAD50 round bevel and couldn't warm up to it (too much click) so I sent it back in exchange for a TAD60-1R with a right hand bevel which I liked okay--some days more, but some less. I've had to make myself get used to it and while I don't dislike it, I don't have the desire to get any more Blue Chips in the forseeable future. Maybe I'm migrating away from BCs. At 35 to 40 dollars a pop, I'm not keen on the idea of keeping on buying BCs until I find that perfect one that's just for me (and she may not even exist). On the other hand, I'm liking the opaque brown Dunlop 1.4 Primetones a lot more, in addition to my old favorites, the triangular Dunlop Ultex and Clayton Ultems --if those three were the only types of picks I had to choose from, I could get along exceedingly well.

terzinator
Feb-02-2016, 10:07am
CT from a couple days ago clearly using a Wegen.
https://www.facebook.com/PrairieHomeCompanion/videos/1090263501018341/?fref=nf

Kit
FT: All my BC's for Wegens! Quick!

Mark Wilson
Feb-02-2016, 11:14am
The tone from this round-beveled TAD80-1R sounds muffled and soft and muted. The rounded point is a disaster. You should be able to send it in and have it beveled for not much hassle. Drop BC an email.

I've found the non bevel works best on making thin picks sound less thin. IE: a 40 w/ no bevel plays like a 40 but sounds closer to a 50 w/ bevel. ymmv

terzinator
Feb-02-2016, 11:43am
You should be able to send it in and have it beveled for not much hassle. Drop BC an email. Yah, already sorted. I returned it and just kept a store credit. I still really like my TAD-80, so I might just get another one of those at some point.