PDA

View Full Version : Should I loosen the strings when traveling by air?

Kennedyland
Jul-28-2016, 9:18am
I'm about to fly across the country - Portland, Oregon to Washington D.C. I'm taking my mandolin and plan on placing it in the overhead compartment on the airplane. I've driven across the country with guitars and I've always tuned the strings down to compensate for the changes in altitude as I drive across the mountains. I've heard horror stories of necks breaking due to the pressure from the strings. Is it wise to do the same thing on an airplane with a mandolin?

stevedenver
Jul-28-2016, 9:29am
Not to be contentious, but....
In the overhead? What changes of note, occur in a pressurized cabin? And how would they effect tension?
I DO agree about loosening strings anytime there might be unexpected stress on top, bridge or neck, such as shipping, or long term storage, or a knock in the airport, etc.

Certainly its better to be cautious, especially when traveling.
Otoh,

Cars, especially trunks get hot, but, i am at a loss as to your altitude concerns. In Routinely traveling from denver to a cabin at 10k ft, in an hour' or two drive, over the past 45 years, i have never been aware of any issues, other than temp and humidity extremes, sometimes.

Spencer
Jul-28-2016, 9:53am
I've had my mandolins across the Atlantic and back many times, and I have never loosened the strings. Haven't had any problems. I don't think the pressure should bother, since the body is open and it is equalized. If you are concerned about anything, it should be humidity, as the air at altitude is very dry, you might want to take a humidifier of sorts along, though I never have done that either on 9 hour flights.

Spencer

Steve Ostrander
Jul-28-2016, 10:04am
Agree with Spencer, but I don't think you'll be on the plane long enough for the humidity to be a factor. Temp would be a factor if it were stowed in the cargo hold, but that's not the case here.

Folkmusician.com
Jul-28-2016, 10:41am
The altitude will not be a factor.

The reason to loosening the strings is to prevent damage from physical forces. A fully tuned mandolin is under a great deal of tension and a hard hit can snap the headstock off or crack the top. The headstock/neck cracks are usually velocity related, or more accurately, the sudden stop. it does't take much. Many times this is a result of an instrument falling forward off of a stand. It isn't the impact, but the whiplash, that causes it. Detuning significantly reduced the chances of this happening. This is why it is done for shipping.

This would come into play if your mandolin fell from the overhead (when another passenger tries to pull something out), or similar accident occurs. Just based on climate and altitude, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Stevo75
Jul-28-2016, 11:34am
The altitude will not be a factor.

The reason to loosening the strings is to prevent damage from physical forces. A fully tuned mandolin is under a great deal of tension and a hard hit can snap the headstock off or crack the top. The headstock/neck cracks are usually velocity related, or more accurately, the sudden stop. it does't take much. Many times this is a result of an instrument falling forward off of a stand. It isn't the impact, but the whiplash, that causes it. Detuning significantly reduced the chances of this happening. This is why it is done for shipping.

This would come into play if your mandolin fell from the overhead (when another passenger tries to pull something out), or similar accident occurs. Just based on climate and altitude, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

+1 Altitude does not matter but physical forces do. I detune when travelling to take the stress off the mandolin in case it falls or gets knocked around.

Rob Ross
Jul-28-2016, 12:13pm
My Kentucky KM-505 averages around 3 flights a day, 15 days a month. I never loosen the strings, and I'm quite impressed as to how well it holds it's tuning. Only real affect is going from Minnesota to Miami to Phoenix, and watching humidity play heck with everything. I'm also impressed to just how well it holds up to some pretty rough handling. It lives in a Boulder Alpine gig bag and does quite well.

bigskygirl
Jul-28-2016, 3:13pm
I loosen the strings and pack some cushioning around mine when I travel. Planes are supposed to accommodate musical instruments and the mandolin fits nicely in the overhead or under the seat but if one ends up on a smaller plane that can't accommodate the case or it is dropped or taken and put in the cargo hold it is a bit safer...with air travel you never know what's going to happen.

Stevo75
Jul-28-2016, 3:39pm
I loosen the strings and pack some cushioning around mine when I travel. Planes are supposed to accommodate musical instruments and the mandolin fits nicely in the overhead or under the seat but if one ends up on a smaller plane that can't accommodate the case or it is dropped or taken and put in the cargo hold it is a bit safer...with air travel you never know what's going to happen.

Thanks for reminding me, I also put some extra padding around the head stock so that it doesn't move around as much.

Kennedyland
Jul-30-2016, 8:42am
Thanks for the advice and points of view. I appreciate the suggestions to add a little extra padding in the case, and there seems to be a general consensus that loosening the strings, while perhaps not completely necessary, won't do any harm. Here is a link to general questions about air travel and musical instruments. http://blog.kennedyviolins.com/2012/06/musical-travels-8-tips-for-transporting-a-musical-instrument/

Marty Jacobson
Jul-30-2016, 12:01pm
Careful not to loosen the strings too much, you don't want the bridge coming off and sliding around on the top randomly, either. A whole step or step and a half reduces the tension by 10% or more.

UsuallyPickin
Jul-30-2016, 2:28pm
When it is in my hand traveling including the overhead no .... when it is shipped as luggage or shipped as freight yes I do...... R/

mandroid
Jul-30-2016, 6:18pm
cabin air is kind if dry.

Pasha Alden
Jul-31-2016, 4:33pm
I loosen the strings a step down for rough handling or if the mandolin/mandola fell or any such mishap occurred.

I have had no incidents of trouble with the neck or the bridge, so here's to many more safe travels.

Happy playing and bon voyage <smile>

SwartDeco
Jul-31-2016, 9:48pm
I flew with mine today. I just carried it on and placed it in the overhead compartment. Didn't have any problems at all.

FLATROCK HILL
Aug-01-2016, 11:45am
Traveled with my mandolin from Ohio to Burbank (L.A.) California yesterday... No problems. I did not loosen the strings.
Of course, being the pilot, I made sure it was buckled into its own seat with a blanket and footies.