PDA

View Full Version : cutting blade advise

alespa
Apr-02-2006, 7:56pm
I borrowed a friends scroll saw today with the hopes of completing a project using Wenge wood. Eventually I need to get some ebony to match the bridge and fingerboard on my Mid-Mo, but figured I'd play around with what I had . . . anyway the blades that came with the scroll saw barely cut the wood. Is there a particular kind of blade I need to use, and does it make a huge difference on the type of scroll saw. I assume that's what builders use to cut bridges? My current budget precludes me from getting (buying) a scroll saw, so I really hope a different blade will be the answer.

Antlurz
Apr-02-2006, 8:04pm
Probably most hand made bridges are done with a bandsaw nowdays. I've found that with my Delta scroll saw, I can also use the heavier 5 inch coping saw blades, with, with or without the crosspins in the ends, but not all scroll saws will do that.

Ron

arbarnhart
Apr-02-2006, 8:48pm
I would use a #7 skiptooth. A "skip reverse" (SR in the blade designation) will give you the cleanest cut but reverse blades try to lift the workpiece on the upstroke and take some getting used to, especially on small pieces.

alespa
Apr-02-2006, 11:47pm
Thanks guys, I'll check that out tomorrow.