PDA

View Full Version : New Bandsaw

dstretch
Jul-08-2006, 7:14pm
Ok, I have my shop done, and ready for some tools. I am going to buy a bandsaw first. I will buy a 14" bandsaw, but what are some of your recommendations? I am not asking for you to endorse one product over another, but let me know what you like about your saw.

Here are my choices so far, in order.

1. Grizzly Ultimate 14" bandsaw
2. Delta 14" Model 28-206
3. Jet 14" professional

Thank you

mythicfish
Jul-08-2006, 8:23pm
I'd buy the one that weighs the most.

Curt

kww
Jul-08-2006, 8:37pm
For the stuff I see most people on this board using a bandsaw for, I would seriously consider a heavy duty DeWalt scrollsaw (http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/workshop/1274521.html?page=3&c=y) instead.

I'm not a luthier, but I would love to hear a luthier explain why bandsaws are so popular and scroll saws so rare.

arbarnhart
Jul-08-2006, 8:53pm
For the stuff I see most people on this board using a bandsaw for, I would seriously consider a heavy duty DeWalt scrollsaw (http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/workshop/1274521.html?page=3&c=y) instead.

I'm not a luthier, but I would love to hear a luthier explain why bandsaws are so popular and scroll saws so rare.
Bandsaws are used often to resaw, which a scroll saw can't do. Also, a lot of cuutting curves is done with hard maple over an inch thick which slows any scroll saw considerably. I have a scroll saw and it is one of my favorite tools, but it doesn't replace a bandsaw.

Gibson A5
Jul-08-2006, 9:33pm
I built my first F with a scroll saw. #I just bearly got the head profile cut out because of the lack of height between the table and the arm that holds the blade. It's a heavy duity Dremel brand and the best one I have ever used (looks a lot like a DeWalt.) #After I got my 14" band saw I only use the scroll saw for the rought cut of the F holes now. #I got the Delta 14" because of the sale price and the fact that it has a 16" table on it and most other 14" band saws have only a 14" table. #I can also get a 6" resaw extender to let me resaw 12" tall wood. #While not the best saw on the market it has worked great for me and I would buy one again.
Bill P.

Jim Rowland
Jul-08-2006, 10:04pm
I've been happy with my Grizzly 14" bandsaw. I'm sure it's not the best available,but it takes me where I need to go. I like doing business with Grizzly because the prexy of the company enjoys luthiery.
Jim

carleshicks
Jul-08-2006, 10:19pm
I am very happy with my new delta 28-206 but i have compared all three models you mentioned and i don't think you will go wrong with any of them.

dstretch
Jul-09-2006, 12:22am
Thank you all for the response. I think I am going to order the Grizzly in the morning.

What blade Timberwolf blade should I get?

Antlurz
Jul-09-2006, 12:29am
I think you'll quickly find you want at least three different blades.

For mine, I like to have AT LEAST an 1/8", a 1/4". and half inch blades on the wall for it. Too many variables to be saddled with only one blade.

BTW... learning how to set up the guides is VERY important. Don't try to run it until you know you have it adjusted correctly.

Ron

dstretch
Jul-09-2006, 1:14am
Hey Antlurz

Can you give me some information on TPI, Raker, and POS Claw blades? Which one should I get. I will get three sizes, 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4.

Thanks

Antlurz
Jul-09-2006, 3:17am
The easiest way to answer that is there are as many different circimstances in using the saw as there are different designs of blades available. the only way to answer that is to know the circumstances ahead and pick a blade to match. There are trade offs to consider. Like a skip tooth blade might cut fast, but at the expense of a smooth cut. Fine teeth will cut smooth, but they can clog up the throats real quickly.

Some of the big bandsaw blade dealers have pretty comprehensive charts listing the pro's and con's of the different designs on their websites.

Ron

Luthier
Jul-09-2006, 3:24am
You want a hook tooth blade if you are going to do any resaw work. The hook tooth does not give a great finish cut but it is aggressive. Keep in mind also that the wider the blade you use, the better your resaw cuts will be. If you can swing the extra bucks, I would highly reccomend the 17" Grizzly Band saw. I use that in cunjunction with a 3/4" hook tooth blade and I can resaw up to 12" with very little effort. (jmo)
Don

Darren Kern
Jul-09-2006, 10:21am
Hey Antlurz

Can you give me some information on TPI, Raker, and POS Claw blades? Which one should I get. I will get three sizes, 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4.

Thanks
Danny, don't skip getting a 1/8" blade, I use the heck out of mine.

Rick Turner
Jul-10-2006, 12:25am
For resawing, use the Timberwolf ### blades (yeah, an unfortunate designation!). I use them on a 20 HP horizontal Baker resaw, and they are really great. They only take out about .046" in kerf, and the cut is very clean. I also use a mist coolant device that sprays very a very fine mist of water on the blade to cool it. We do some commercial resawing here in addition to cutting most of our own back and side woods. The machine is a bit of a monster with solid steel wheels and hydraulics running a conveyer belt feed and a powered wood hold down device. We've cut a lot of Brazilian rosewood, ebony, you name it on this thing.

John Bertotti
Jul-11-2006, 4:49pm
I went through this early last year. I wound up with the 14 inch jet closed base bigger motor good price. I put in the ceramic blade guides and blocks and 6 inch riser. I use a 3/4 inch blade to resaw but believe the 1/2 inch would work as well. I have resaw both red wood maple and sitka. Maple being the hardest it still cut well I need to work on my rate of feed because I got a bit ahead of myself and force a angle in my cut when slowing down it was all nice and straight. I haven't tried to cut a scroll or any tight curves yet but a good 1/8-inch blade is what I will use. I have the Timber wolf blades and all though I didn't know which blades I wanted I called the TW makers and they asked me what saw I had and how strong it was and what I was going to do. They made their recommendations I that is what I ordered It is by the way a bit cheaper to buy direct and they do know their stuff. I have no regrets with my jet but I am also sure the delta is a fine instrument as well. I know nothing of grizzly but some seem to like them. Before you order check the rating of the motor for the peak hp or continuous hp. Some will try and sell a saw with a listing of 1.5 hp lets say but later you find that is peak and not continuous. It does make a difference. Good luck

carleshicks
Jul-11-2006, 5:30pm
I use a tiber wolf 3/16" for all my fine work and it works great. i have an 1/8" Olsen but it seems to catch when I am backing out of tight curves more that the 3/16" Timber wolf. For resawing Bill Halsey turned me on to a 5/8" .022" kerf fish blade from Gray industries in ohio. The make very little waste, leave a nice smooth finish and stay sharp, and they only cost about $16

Jeff Hildreth
Jul-14-2006, 9:12pm
Jet owns owermatic

I have used the same ancient bandsaw for 25 years.. recently researched tried out and bought the Powermatic.. far superior to Delta and much better than Jet

Mine has the riser block, Carter release, roller guides,, extended inside table , light and fence..
around $1000 and worth it..

Personally I would not buy a box of nails from Grizzly but YMMV

Jeff