PDA

View Full Version : Sanding down neck

MikeK
Jan-21-2009, 12:24am
well ive decided to try sanding down the neck on my good old epiphone mm-30 so it makes it easier to play faster etc...

whats the best way to go about this? should i just sand off the gloss or right down to the wood?

(p.s sorry theres already a thread on this, i searched and couldnt find anything)

Phil Goodson
Jan-21-2009, 7:20am
Here's (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44898&highlight=sand+neck)one thread. Maybe it'll help. There are others.

mdlorenz
Jan-21-2009, 8:38am
Your technique of getting the finish off may have more to do w/ how much is on there to begin with. I took some 000 & 0000 steel wool & began to take the finish off my flatiron & it was taking FOREVER!

I then took it to a luthier friend of mine & he said w/ the amount of lacquer on there it'd take forever. He ended up scraping the finish off w/ a sharp knife.

Andrew B. Carlson
Jan-21-2009, 10:07am
I did it to mine with some fine steel wool. Only took 10-15 mintues. I haven't regretted it though.

DougC
Jan-21-2009, 11:15am
I usually use a wood scraper, like a knife and then steel wool. You have to watch out for iron bits getting into the wood. The 3M 'scrubbie' like pads avoid this concern. If you want to change the shape of the neck; that requires a rasp and and care not to wack the rest of the instrument.

Jerry Haynes
Jan-21-2009, 12:13pm
Knife, scraper, I use broken glass. Anything to get through the laq down to the wood. You can sand if needed, but 0000 steel wool will get it real nice. Jerry

Michael Cameron
Jan-24-2009, 4:12pm
I like the 3M scrubbie things for removing finish on neck back.

I plan to thin down a neck on my mandolin. I think a good file and scrapers
will be quick enough for me. Got a little more research to do...

~:>

Geiss
Jan-25-2009, 9:14pm
Could be slight derail here, but I am seeking to remove finish and also change profile of neck.
I have been using crooked knives for a number of years on all kinds of delicate carvings and think that it's the best tool for me. Then, hit it with a freshly hooked scraper and then mild abrasive.

I migrated from guitar to a mando nut of 1 3/32 (that said, next instrument will likely be 1 1/8). It's not the width that's holding me back so much as the fullness of the round shape. Am I at risk for changing sound or otherwise risking integrity by slowly and carefully developing more of a V shape?.....resale, well I know I'll probably be killing that but it's not a terribly expensive instrument to begin with.

Should I dive in?

best,
dave