PDA

View Full Version : Truss rod in a pancake mandolin?

Payit Forward
Jul-25-2009, 8:44am
I've been looking at pancake style mandolins. I'm looking for a basic mandolin for travel/camp with an oval hole sound.

None of the models I've looked at have a truss rod, and I'm wondering why. Is it purely an economic decision to keep the price down? Or is it not considered necessary because the necks are shorter? Are there other considerations? I appreciate any incite on this.

Pete

Jim MacDaniel
Jul-25-2009, 10:12am
How much were you planning to spend? Steve Smith's Traveler mandolins start at $545, have adjustable truss rods in them, and are great sounding instruments with a growing fan base. (Here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45261) is their unofficial official discussion thread.)

If that's not what you had in mind, keep an eye out on Saga Music's eBay storefront (http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/rhaus1999_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_ipgZ) for blems; I and a couple others recently purchased one of their A4-inspired oval-hole KM-174 blems -- also with truss rods -- from between $140 and $150 each, which retail for ~$300 new. The newer Kentucky's also have a loyal, and growing fan base here at the cafe.

Payit Forward
Jul-25-2009, 10:25am
I had actually looked at both those models. Don't know how I missed the truss rods. My bad.

One issue I have with both of these models is that they don't have a wide neck, which is what I prefer. I believe the Redline traveler is 1 1/16" and I think the Kentucky are the same? I prefer 1 3/16 or more. Does anyone know off hand if Steve Smith will make a wider neck? ('spose I could give him a call...)

CES
Jul-25-2009, 10:39am
Try to watch the classifieds for an older Flatiron (Boseman made, not the new Chinese toy junk) pancake. I love mine, and it has a truss rod. I'm not sure about neck width, though...I know it's a lot deeper (and more to my liking) than my Kentucky. They've been selling from 350-700 depending on the degree of ornamentation and condition. If you do a custom order with Steve he may be willing to do the wider neck, though I certainly am in no position to speak for him...can't hurt to ask!!

Good luck...there seems to be a mini-resurgence in their popularity of late, and I really like mine...only gripe is that I need to replace the nut and move the individual courses a little closer together (so my skinny pinky doesn't slip between the G strings on closed position chords up the neck).

Good luck :mandosmiley:

Payit Forward
Jul-25-2009, 10:49am
an older Flatiron ... I love mine, and it has a truss rod.

Another one I missed. Dohh!

Steevarino
Jul-25-2009, 10:58am
As it turns out, I have already burned through my first batch of 35 -40 Traveler necks. I am right on the verge of making another batch of necks, so if someone wanted a custom width, it would be a great time to inquire.

Also, I have worked out an arrangement with a dealer or two, where they will buy a Traveler "six-pack". These will be my basic Traveler model at first. The dealer will get them at a somewhat reduced price (because they are buying in quantity) and can sell them and still make a bit of profit.

I just picked up the Stand-Out plum from the recent layoffs of a prominent local instrument manufacturer. I have been wondering how I will keep this guy busy. This might be just the ticket! If you are a dealer, let me know if you might want us to brew up a six pack for you!

Jill McAuley
Jul-25-2009, 11:24am
I second Jim's recommendation of one of Steve's Travelers - these are fun little mandolins and the playability of them is awesome.

Cheers,
Jill

8ch(pl)
Jul-26-2009, 5:21am
You can order a Big Muddy mandolin with a wide fretboard. They have a rather robust non-adjustable trus rod.

The Campfire Kit Mandolin from Stewart MacDonald had a truss rod, but the neck joint was one hanger bolt and nut. No tenon, no dovetail. I never thought it was strong enough.

I have never heard of a problem with the neck of a Big Muddy (Mid Missouri).

PaulD
Aug-01-2009, 12:39am
I've got an original Bozeman Flatiron "Pancake" that was built in 1981... one of the early ones. I've had it since it was new. It was before they started putting truss rods in... the neck is still straight as an arrow. Those instruments are fairly lightly built and Flatiron recommended light strings. I don't know when they started putting in truss rods... I think it was shortly after mine was built. They still recommended the light strings and the later ones have a label inside with the string gauges.

EdHanrahan
Aug-06-2009, 1:17pm
... Or is it not considered necessary because the necks are shorter? ...

As someone who's adjusted lots of guitar truss rods, I tend to believe that mandos ARE inherently more stable. Not sure why - it's just my impression. Maybe the shorter (though less beefy) neck, maybe lower tension or less severe pull angles of the generally lighter strings, or maybe that lower-beef neck is less subject to temperature & humidity effects.

Plus, lack of an ADJUSTABLE rod doesn't necessarily mean lack of excellent reinforcement, such as:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_rods/Carbon_fiber/Carbon_Fiber_Neck_Rods.html
Despite StewMac's comment (now that I read it!), lots of folks have used these in place of an adjustable rod.

Of course, I only play at being a luthier when my wife lets me use the kitchen table!

thistle3585
Aug-06-2009, 2:29pm
I have one of Steve's earlier Redline's that have the bigger neck. I don't think it has a truss rod but I haven't had a single problem with it. If you're interested in it let me know.

Andrew

Bill Snyder
Aug-06-2009, 3:02pm
As someone who's adjusted lots of guitar truss rods, I tend to believe that mandos ARE inherently more stable. Not sure why - it's just my impression. Maybe the shorter (though less beefy) neck, maybe lower tension or less severe pull angles of the generally lighter strings, or maybe that lower-beef neck is less subject to temperature & humidity effects.

FWIW mandolins have much more string tension than a 6 string guitar.

fatt-dad
Aug-06-2009, 3:20pm
I have an 84 Flatiron 1N (pancake) and it doesn't have an adjustible truss rod. It may have a truss rod though. Use the light gauge strings and let it sing! I just love my pancake! I think it was after Gibson took over the company that the Flatiron pancakes show up with adjustible truss rods (circa 87).

f-d