PDA

View Full Version : Rover Mandolins

abelville
Sep-13-2004, 5:29am
I looked at Rover's A style (RM50) all solid wood and also the F style (RM75), also solid wood mando.

Has anyone played either of these and how would they compare to a Michael Kelly or Kentucky mando (f or A style)

I'm most concerned about playability.

Thanks!

Al B.

duuuude
Sep-13-2004, 7:57am
No personal experience but I seem to remember good things being said about the RM75 not long ago, maybe try a search if ya don't get much response.

GBG
Sep-13-2004, 8:00am
I heard the Rover is a DOG, but has a loud bark! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Lee
Sep-13-2004, 11:10am
I played every mandolin at Gruhn's back in the spring, (at least the visible ones). I was dumbfounded at what the F-style Rover offered for $375. Absolutely amazing value. It had very good playability, the fretwork was accurate, and the extension was scalloped. The tone was clear. The instrument had a substantial well-built feel to it. They had two there, the one was noticably better than the other. I thought you'd need $600 to find something equal. For your first mandolin a Rover will keep you busy for a good while and with the money saved you'll be able to step-up further when you're ready and know what you like.

jim_n_virginia
Sep-13-2004, 6:45pm
I still have my first mandolin which is a Rover A style. It was to start out with. The setup was awful and after weeks of experimentation i finally got the bridge in the right place and the neck right. After all that and changing strings and replacing the nut with a bone nut, it sounded....OK...

Only at the time I thought it sounded great because I didn't know what a higher quality instrument sounded like.
When I finally upgraded and bought a Mid Missouri M-2, when I fist strummed the Mid Mo it almost knocked me over with sustain and sound. I was twice as loud. The Rover seemed almost muffled compared the the Mid Mo.

Needless to say the Rover went in the corner on a stand and it has been there ever since even though I have gone through several upgrades over the years. I guess it has some sentimental value because it is the very first mandolin I owned.

I have to say this about my Rover. It was a good mandolin to learn on. It served its purpose and I think I got my moneys worth as I bought it used out of a pawn shop.

I won't put it down but I have learned a lot since I started playing and now I would tell someone to buy the best mandolin they can afford when they start out as it makes learning a bit easier I think.

devilsbox
Sep-15-2004, 11:44am
If Rover and Kentucky are products of Saga Instruments, how come Rover is offering all solid construction on some models for less money than a similar Kentucky? I have a Chinese KM630s Kentucky (solid top only) and now I see F-style Rovers, all solid for less money. Normally I would think it was a quality issue, but given the general opinion of Chinese Kentuckys I don't know what to think. I personally don't have any complaints with my KM630, but I am not an expert player and I didn't spend a lot.
On another topic, what price range or brand would you need to get a mando with a ONE PIECE neck/peghead?
Thanks, I am new here.

Rob Powell
Sep-15-2004, 12:05pm
Rumor has it that the RM75 was supposed to be a Kentucky (700 or above) but lacked the quality flame in the maple...SO...they finished them with a dark finish, called it a limited run and sold cheap in order to move 'em out.

Sounds like a great buy to me...you can sometimes get these on ebay for under $300... however you probably want to make sure that you get one from someone who will do a proper set-up before you get it (like Elderly...etc.)

GTison
Sep-15-2004, 1:48pm
I heard the same thing at the local music store. I picked it up and expected a dog but it sounded good. I was shocked. I have almost gone down there and bought it just because it seems like a great sound for entry level price. I'd say it was the best deal under 700 bucks. they said they'd sell it to me for 325. beat that. It still is tempting to sell my old KM1000 and buy one of those and pocket the rest. The only drawback is that the top is a little thin.
Why Saga sells em this way is a mystery to me. If they have competing factories with in the same corporation or what? Panasonic used to do that back when I was in the phone business. they had similar (same size, function,market) products from different factories. I still don't get it.

Ragamuffin Music
Sep-21-2004, 12:52am
I have piddled with the mandolin for over 25 years but have gotten serious about working at it over the last 6 months. #I am a long time experienced guitar player/teacher... just to give a little background...

I recently snagged a Rover RM-75 (F style) on Ebay. #I was kinda anxious to "kick the tires". #I didn't worry too much about set up because I have done that for my own instruments for many moons. #The "hype" by some sellers made me chuckle - I looked for a seller that sounded more down to earth about this mando. #My winning bid was $255.00 so yep I got a deal there. #This mando is made in China (he says with a grimace...) #First impression out of the box was that this was pretty well made. #The finish looks really nice - nitro cellulose that is thin enough that you can see the grain - almost looks like the finish has sunk in to the grain but it is smooth - I like the sorta vintage look it gives it. #The finish on mine is really dark - just a slight sunburst showing but you can see the stripe in the maple bottom, back, sides and neck when you hold it just right. #I personally don't care so much about every little detail being spotless - yeah there are some little oddities but nothing really big. #Overall very impressed with the fit and finish for this price. #And now the fingerboard and neck...

The neck was almost right... just a couple of turns put her on track - the neck on mine will do dead level but I dialed in a tiny bit of relief - lowered the bridge as far as she would go (then got out the Dremel and went to work for a few minutes going lower... I like very low actions). #A test run showed some fret leveling was needed to go where I wanted to go. #I ran a marker over the length of each fret - got out my stone and went easy until no marker was visible. #I then polished them back to shiny with the Dremel (did not re-crown - didn't need to really) and then tuned up and brought the bridge up until I had no buzz left then another half turn and talk about smooth as silk!! #So much for making her really playable.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE TONE?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif?

Well I gotta tell ya I have fallen in love with this thing. #I can't put it down. #It just sings! #No it isn't a Loar and I have heard a few close up but I don't see how anybody would not be impressed with the sound and playability. #I really think you would have to plunk down closer to $800 - $1000+ to get this in another mando. #I have played some in that price range that (at least to my ear) sounded terrible. #I wouldn't have given you $50 bucks for them. #This mando has some depth already and it will get deeper and fuller but I like the tone already.

OK... sorry to rattle on but just wanted to give some depth about my experience with the Rover RM-75 that I own. #Oh and another thing... it absolutely stays in tune like a rock! #Once in a while the E strings are just a tad sharp (don't know why that one happens) but it is nice not to have to tune and re-tune all the time. #It also has beautiful intonation all the way up the neck. #It'll bark and chop and sigh right along... #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Did I mention that I really love this mando...?

mad dawg
Oct-10-2004, 7:13pm
I played one of the Rover RM-75 f-styles today side-by-side with a Kentucky KM-250S, KM-350S, and KM-675S. I'm sure all of these factory mandolins vary a bit within each model, but the Rover to my ears sounded nearly identical to the KM-675S, and the fit and finish was comparable as well.

The real surprise to me though, was I thought the KM-250S sounded more complex and full in tone than the other three, and it definitely was much louder than the others as well. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

AC4RD
Oct-11-2004, 6:42am
I looked at Rover's A...the F style (RM75), also solid wood mando. ..I'm most concerned about playability.
I'll know in about a week--someone on Ebay had a lot of ten he was selling with a BIN of $300, and I couldn't resist trying one. That auction ended last night (Sunday 10/9/04) but email me off the msg board if you like and I'll pass along the dealer's email and website information. --Ken ken.kuzenski@duke.edu

Treetopper
Oct-11-2004, 7:09am
Hi All, just got my RM-75 last Friday and spent the whole weekend playing with and on it. The (Factory setup) was not to my liking so I put a set of TI's on it and got the proper intonation and just started playing, the first couple of songs went out of tune, but after about an hour it settled in and it is comperatble to my Morgan Monroe and my Fender F models. It might just become my favorite thang. It cost me $319 plus $13 freight and it came with a nice fitted case. I am a happy camper. It will make a nice addition to my collection of mid priced mandos. I would recommend the RM-75 to anyone looking for a startup midpriced mando. Enjoy

Treetopper

straight-a
Oct-12-2004, 11:40am
Played a nice Rover F-5 at IBMA. Lot's of volume and great action. IMO, well worth the $400.

celtic_knut
Oct-12-2004, 1:38pm
It cost me $319 plus $13 freight and it came with a nice fitted case.

Treetopper -- that looks like a good deal. Where did you buy yours, is there a web site?

Oct-12-2004, 2:51pm
Those Rovers are scary good,and it is truly hard to believe the overall quality coming out of China today.If you don't believe me go play a Blueridge acoustic next to any Martin on the shelf,and we'll talk.Buy a Rover,and don't look back!

Treetopper
Oct-12-2004, 2:52pm
Celtic_knut

Here is the link, nice folks to deal with.

Centsible Sounds

mail@centsiblesounds.com

Phone 317-223-8360, call for availability

Treetopper

doublestop
Oct-14-2004, 7:33am
Can anyone tell me what the scroll on the Rover is like. I played one a couple weeks ago and was so impressed by it's tone I didn't really look at anything else. Is the scroll flat like the old KM-630s?

mad dawg
Oct-14-2004, 9:40am
It's carved -- it seems very similar except in finish to the KM-675S.

AC4RD
Oct-14-2004, 9:43am
I said this in another Rover thread but will repeat it here, FWIW: The fellow I ordered the RM75 from on Sunday has put another "Buy it now" listing on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....65&rd=1

I should add that mine hasn't arrived yet--paypal was down for a couple of days, which slowed things down. I'll post a report on it when it arrives, though being a total newbie at the mandolin, it will necessarily be limited.
--Ken

jasona
Oct-17-2004, 11:23am
I played one last night for a bit. Sounded like the Kentucky 150S I used to have--a good starter, but if one really gets bitten by the mando bug you will be looking for better tone farily quickly. I thought the bottom end was a fairly minor component of the tone, and it gave it a tinny sound. Played well and will be great to learn on if well set up (as this one was). I think that the MidMos sound better, but they cost a little more.

Tim Saxton
Oct-18-2004, 2:19pm
Greg Boyd has one in their shop right now. I was there mid last week and played it. Dare i say (putting on flame retardant suit) It sounded nearly as good as some of the MK mandos I have played. This one was not too bad looking either. Dressed in all black. The scroll was not too bad considering.

Tim

AC4RD
Oct-19-2004, 5:46am
...played it. Dare i say (putting on flame retardant suit) It sounded nearly as good as some of the MK mandos I have played.
My RM-75 arrived last night; I'll try to post a mini-review this afternoon or tomorrow. First impressions: it's not going to make the "Eye Candy" section of the Cafe, but I'm pretty pleased overall with the quality/price business. I'm a serious newbie but it sounds pretty decent to me.
--Ken in Raleigh (disappointed because your "random hippie sanding" sig didn't get quoted with the text, and I'm something of a random hippie myself.) :-)

Phaedrus157
Apr-07-2024, 12:00pm
I was just looking up what a Rover was, just curious since I had been on the Saga website. I have a Kentucky Artist 272 and the Saga vid review of it was pretty impressive. I love the sound of mine, and I agree that it is such a beautiful tone, I have trouble putting it down and the resonance is spectacular, it is almost like playing in an echo chamber. I have never seen or played another Kentucky so I can't really compare to the higher end models but my impression is that the A style, oval hole Kentucky is really something a bit special. I had a The Loar Honey Creek initially but traded it for the Kentucky specifically because I was playing more Irish and classical than bluegrass. I did not like the tone of the Loar, loud, brash, and to my ear, a bit irritating at times playing alone in a room. But onstage and playing bluegrass, I suspect that The Loar would do just fine for a cheap mandolin.