PDA

View Full Version : Jesse McReynolds book by Andy Statman

Justin E.
Mar-30-2010, 1:24pm
I am wondering if anybody knows of a reissue of the Andy Statman book on Jesse McReynolds or of a digital copy that is available for download. I've also read about the Jack Tottle book on mandolin that features Jesse, however there are a few out there that I can find. I am wondering which one is the right one. Thank you!

Galileo
Mar-30-2010, 1:48pm
Hi Justin - I have both, the Jack Tottle information is more of a primer; where the Andy Statman is more comprehensive by far. I'm not aware of any reissues of the Statman book...I lucked out and found somebody selling one. If you are really after the McReynolds crosspicking treatise the Statman book is the way to go. IMHO

Tbone
Mar-30-2010, 2:56pm
I've seen a scanned version of the Statman book around somewhere. Sadly, it was saved on my work computer, which I no longer have access to....

Fretbear
Mar-30-2010, 3:13pm
Statman's book is Jesse's solos note for note and is exhaustive, but the cross-picking section in Jack Tottle's book is an excellent and very clear introduction to the style, and well worth looking into, especially as it is still in print.

MandoNicity
Mar-30-2010, 3:33pm
I'd love to see a copy of that Statman book, which is supposedly the holy grail for McReynolds style. I tried to locate a copy about 4 years ago and came up empty. The Tottle book is great btw. I believe it was the first mando book I ever purchased when it was first in print. Someone should really reprint the Statman book. I know there's a lot of interest in it.

JR

mjb128wv
Mar-30-2010, 3:46pm
Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/Bluegrass-Masters-Jesse-McReynolds-Mandolin/dp/0825602203

Pretty pricey

Galileo
Mar-30-2010, 4:12pm
Is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/Bluegrass-Masters-Jesse-McReynolds-Mandolin/dp/0825602203

Pretty pricey

That is it...agreed, VERY pricey. The Tottle book is excellent...and in print.

wundo
Mar-30-2010, 4:25pm
<content removed>

- The posting of copyrighted audio files, including offers to sell, purchase, trade or give away copies of copyrighted audio files including bootlegs of live shows is prohibited. This includes links to other sites where these materials can be obtained.

Jordan Ramsey
Mar-30-2010, 4:32pm
<content removed>

- The posting of copyrighted audio files, including offers to sell, purchase, trade or give away copies of copyrighted audio files including bootlegs of live shows is prohibited. This includes links to other sites where these materials can be obtained.

Mandolin Mick
Mar-30-2010, 5:03pm
<content removed>

EdSherry
Mar-30-2010, 6:31pm
I agree about the relative complexity of the Tuttle and Statman books. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jessee's Homespun DVD demonstrating his style:

http://www.homespuntapes.com/shop/product.aspx?ID=280

Or available as a download here on the Cafe.

NFI.

A few years ago, someone posted a link here on the Cafe to a PDF version of the Statman book. I printed a copy off then, but (stupidly) failed to save a PDF copy. There was some communication at the time with Music Sales about possibly reprinting it, but to my knowledge nothing ever came of it. A pity.

swinginmandolins
Mar-31-2010, 9:57am
I second learning from the source himself. The video through on demand is only $20. I don't play much bluegrass but love Jesse's crosspicking. I thought it was worth it just to hear his ideas.

Justin E.
Mar-31-2010, 10:14am
I got the dvd for Christmas. I studied some under Tottle right after he partially retired. He, like the majority of the people in charge of the bluegrass program at ETSU, didn't really like me that much. Thank you for all the advice! Too bad I don't live closer to Jesse. Then maybe I could plead my case and get enough sympathy from him to teach me a few tricks. I'm sure he's got more than a few!

swampstomper
Mar-31-2010, 11:14am
The problem with Jesse's style, to me, is his use of his superflexible double-jointed thumb. My hand just does not work like that! Statman gives a really nice explanation with pix, and he says some will not be able to do it that way. I use the floating wrist like for all my picking, but can't then get that "Jesse sound" which comes from the precise right-hand position (anchored, with only the thumb joint moving the pick) and the pick point.

Justin E.
Mar-31-2010, 11:20am
I've noticed that in videos of him. I have a double-jointed thumb and utilize it as much as I can. However, mine is double-jointed in the opposite way that Jesse's is. Mine is more toward the end of my thumb and moves in a way that is called "hitch-hikers' thumb." It works but doesn't look as cool as what Jesse does.

buckles
Apr-29-2010, 6:01pm
<content removed>

drewbarries
Jun-17-2010, 7:46am
<content remove. violates board posting guidelines.>

John Clay
Oct-28-2010, 12:51pm
<content removed>

Scott Tichenor
Oct-28-2010, 1:48pm
A reminder that seeking or dealing electronic bootleg copies of this book and any other book, even though out of print, is likely illegal. If questioned, it will be your hide they'll be after and not mine, and I will cooperate with authorities if asked. With that said, I'm closing this discussion.

It is also not appropriate to use the Classifieds to hunt for and/or ask about obtaining bootleg copies as suggested.