PDA

View Full Version : 12 string Guitar to Mandocello conversion

mandotopia
May-28-2010, 12:21pm
I have a 70's nagoya 12 string. the back sepatated and 5 of the tuners are missing. I was hoping to turn this to a Mandocello w/ 1 low C string until I find a replacement tuner. Can I use the existing bridge saddle using 8 of the 12 holes and get a new nut w/ 8 slots? What are some issues I should look out for?

Bernie Daniel
May-28-2010, 6:51pm
I have a 70's nagoya 12 string. the back sepatated and 5 of the tuners are missing. I was hoping to turn this to a Mandocello w/ 1 low C string until I find a replacement tuner. Can I use the existing bridge saddle using 8 of the 12 holes and get a new nut w/ 8 slots? What are some issues I should look out for?

I think you'll need a new bridge saddle too. BTW what is the saddle made of bone or wood?

Guess you have individual tuners on the guitar -- what kind are they Grovers? There really should not be big issues to overcome.
The 12 string guitar neck is clearly strong enough -- figure out how to space out the tuners so it looks neat.

Likewise which sting pegs/peg holes you will use and you are on your way! Good luck.

Paul Hostetter
May-30-2010, 9:07pm
12-string necks are really rather wide for a mandocello neck.

Dobe
Jun-02-2010, 5:50pm
Yep, gonna have to thin that neck, take off the back & get rid of some bracing. I converted a 60's Gibson 12 some time ago (Double X braced) Ream out your bridge pin holes , maybe whack off some of that headstock (about 4-holes worth) A worthy project with the Gibson, sounded great. Good luck !!

delsbrother
Jun-02-2010, 6:46pm
You could make a giant trichordia!