PDA

View Full Version : Losing My Religion by REM--Am Chord?

Andy Morton
May-31-2010, 10:41am
I have seen the mando tab for Losing My Religion--but when I look at the videos of REM playing this tune,,,,,it doesn't look like the fingering provided in the tabs. Anyone else notice this?

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/watch?v=L_XFMCgeI7c&feature=related

and here (unplugged):

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/watch?v=Hhp5E6bINVk&feature=related

Anyone have any insights on this as I try to figure this out....thanks!!

Andy Morton
Madison, WI

TonyEarth
May-31-2010, 11:34am
you're right, it looks slightly different. maybe he's playing higher up on a lower string, third position maybe? (i don't know if that's used for mandolin i know on violin its like that) or maybe his mandolin is tuned different? this was the first rock song i learned on mandolin, and i learned it with the tablature from mandolin cafe! it might not be the same fingering but i'm pretty sure its the same notes, i was able to play along with my cd.

Andy Morton
May-31-2010, 11:59am
I just worked it out---its an big, fat and wide open AM chord and it is way easier than the tab that is provided. It is fingered like this (e string at the top):

You can also add the open D string in the strum pattern easier when you strum the AM by just going to:

5 in other words.....

0 000 00
0 000 00
2 220 22
5 555 55

Andy

Ed Goist
May-31-2010, 10:30pm
Andy:
I'm sure you're right! 5-2-0-0 / 5-0-0-0 works perfectly for the Am in the verse. Also, and interestingly, note how similar and complimentary that little rhythm riff played after the chorus and some of the verses is to the notes in this voicing of Am.
A couple of additional things that can make playing the tune a little easier without compromising how it sounds (too much):
* Play the Fmaj sequence in the intro/chorus as 5-3-0-X and 5-0-0-X (note: trying to play 5-3-0-1 cleanly on the thin neck of my Kentucky drives me crazy!) Also, I think this give the song more of a rock feel...
* play the Am in the intro/chorus as 2-2-3-X and 2-2-2-X by barring at the second fret with the index finger, and fretting the A string on the third fret with the middle finger, then just lift the middle finger to create 2-2-2-X...Again, no e-string, but a nice rock sound. I think it make the chorus sound a little darker...Ideal for the tune.
-Ed

Ed Goist
Jun-05-2010, 11:19pm
Two additional observations about the fine Losing My Religion tab available in the tab section of the Cafe:

* Opening riff of the intro/chorus:
Since the 7th fret on the a string is in unison with the e string, this can be played as:

e ---0----
a -5---5-0

I think the 'ring' of the open e-string sounds nicer than the a-string fretted at 7.

* Interlude:

Try playing an open e-string along with each of the notes on the a-string in the interlude, Hence:

e ----------------------------------------
a -7-7-7---5-5-5-5-5---3-3-3---0-0-0-0-0

becomes:

e -0-0-0---0-0-0-0-0---0-0-0---0-0-0-0-0
a -7-7-7---5-5-5-5-5---3-3-3---0-0-0-0-0

Nice!

-Ed

Darren Bailey
Jun-06-2010, 9:51am
IDCeMvbxzMoIDCeMvbxzMoThis is a great version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDCeMvbxzMo

Cheryl Watson
Jun-06-2010, 11:18am
Nice job, Darren, and your Morgan Monroe mandolin sounds very nice.

Darren Bailey
Jun-06-2010, 1:45pm
That's not me and I don't own such a nice mandolin. I just thought it was a great clip.

SincereCorgi
Jun-07-2010, 1:00am
That's not me and I don't own such a nice mandolin. I just thought it was a great clip.

I was gonna say... judging by that accent, you'd be from a funny part of Wales.

delsbrother
Jun-07-2010, 2:10am
Not to join the "chop police", but some of the chords in that vid have a definite "bark" that Buck's original doesn't have. Buck's is a guitar player's style, without a hint of Bluegrass in it. I actually think that's what makes the song (and Vedder's "Rise", for that matter) more accessible to a pop audience. When mandolinists try to play these types of tunes, they often lose a bit of this simple charm.

Ed Goist
Jun-08-2010, 9:56am
delsbrother - I think you are really on to something here...I find my tastes in mandolin tone and playing very much gravitated toward the style on display in tunes like LMR & Rise.

Also, now that you mention it, I very much admire the great players who seem to be able to easily go back in forth between these two playing styles...Chris Thile and Marty Stuart come to mind.