PDA

View Full Version : Used albums score (includes some mando content...)

Dave Gumbart
Dec-23-2011, 10:35pm
Finished at work early and headed out to some of my favorite destinations to finish up the holiday shopping - antique(y) places. At one stop, not typically a place to look for old albums, that was the first thing I noticed. A whole stack of albums on one book shelf. "Well, you never know," I thought, so let's take a look. Never know when you'll find good vinyl. Usually it's Ferrante and Teicher, some random 70's and 80's pop (some of it worthwhile, granted) and, if you're lucky (since it's a great album cover) Whipped Cream and Other Delights by Herb Alpert.

The first album I flipped to? Shoot Out the Lights by Richard and Linda Thompson. I know this album more by reputation than by the music. Okay, pull that one out. Was I just lucky, or....

Okay, here's the list I took home (leaving a handful of things, since, well, I wasn't really there to shop for myself, right?):
- Richard & Linda Thompson, Shoot Out the Lights. No way! Perfect opportunity to grab this classic. Marriage on the rocks seems to be a good formula. AND, hot on the heels of grabbing Strict Tempo! a few weeks back.
- Ry Cooder: Paradise and Lunch. Know nothing about it. I do have Into the Purple Valley, and even if this is nothing like that (I see string, horn, cornet arrangements listed on back cover), it's Ry Cooder. Snag.
- Levon Helm and the RCO All-Stars. Okay, how about you want to make an album. Levon is a good start. So, just add the likes of Dr. John, Booker T. Jones, Steve Cropper, Duck Dunn, Paul Butterfield, etc. Okay, okay, stop it, yer' killin' me, I'm buying it, already.
- Benny Goodman, The Complete Vol. II 1935-1936 (Bluebird). Some known tunes, some I'm sure I've never heard. And what's this? Breakin' In a Pair of Shoes. Seems like I know about a bluegrasser named Bill who played one with a similar title. Any connection? I don't know, but that's part of the fun. And adding Benny Goodman to my jazz collection? Duh - 'bout time.
- Steve Goodman, Artistic Hair. Nice! Know about Steve (originally) from the tribute album way back, with John Prine, Bonnie Raitt and others, after he passed. Got City of New Orleans on it, so, yeah, this one's coming home. And, get this, >> mando content alert << Jethro Burns sits in on mando! Good pile going, can't wait to see what's next. Did I mention this album is unopened, as in the plastic cover remains intact.
- Bert Jansch, Box of Love (the Bert Jansch Sampler, Vol. II). About one or two months ago, I wouldn't have had a clue (no surprise there). But, owing to the Rolling Stone Top 100 guitarists of all time article, the Mando Cafe discussion on that alerted me to Bert. And here he is. Too cool. Who the heck's album collection is this I've stumbled onto?
- The Meters, Fire on the Bayou. 'Nuff said.
- The Country Blues, Volume Two (RBF 9). Blind Boy Fuller and Sonny Terry on one track. Didn't even see that until just now, actually. But the first tune is called "Levee Camp Moan." Pile getting larger.
- David Bromberg, My Own House. My (older) brothers had various Bromberg, but not this one. Easy decision. George Kindler and Dick Fegy credited with mando (and fiddle). Got to be a good one.
- Jim Kweskin Jug Band, Garden of Joy. Another Mando Cafe artist I've been clued into, but really don't know. Got to try this. And, what do I see? Jeff Muldaur: mando; Bill Keith: banjo; Richard Greene, violin and viola. There really isn't enough time on this earth to hear everything worth listening to, is there?
- Steve Goodman, Santa Ana Winds. Might as well keep a good thing going. Steve sez: "The voices that aren't mine belong to Kris Ksistofferson, Emmylou Harris, Herb Pedersen and Linda Dillard. Yeah." Add Byron Berline on fiddle...(Expletive) Yeah!
- Joni Mitchell, Blue. Okay, full disclosure here. My brothers had this album. My wife has this album. And I know this album is a classic. And I cannot honestly say I've ever heard it. Might know some tunes once I hear them. Might not. But, for crying out loud, Gumbart, it's about freakin' time you pay attention. I'll be a better man for it. Have always loved the cover. In the pile it goes.
- Billie Holiday, A Day in the Life of Billie Holiday. Vocal tracks and just plain old chat with Billie, then "near the end of her career." Learn something, and enjoy.
- Doc Watson, self titled (Vanguard VSD 79152). Something tells me I have this on a cd re-issue or some such. Doesn't matter. Clean vinyl, Ralph Rinzler liner notes, early Doc. Helluva album cover photo. Good gosh, I'm lucky to live in a world that has given us Doc Watson.
- Steve Goodman, Affordable Art. Yup, another clean, as yet unopened album. Jethro joins in for "Take Me Out to the Ballgame," which I know, and hey, look - Marty Stuart on mando on one tune, which also features Jerry Douglas. And it's got "A Dying Cubs Fan Last Request." Mmmm, baseball. "Vegematic"? Can't possibly be better than Jonathan Richman's "Dodge Veg-o-matic," but no worries. Front and back covers have Steve with a mandola (presumably, based on his playing it on a few tracks).

Good darn thing I am taking off the week between Xmas and New Year's. Time to hook up the album > digital connections.

Anyway, I am quite happy with all this unexpected new music, and just wanted to share, since, hey, who the heck else would care, or even have half a chance of saying - "yeah, already got that in my collection."

Hope there's new music in your life, whether it's new or old. Oh yeah - 15 albums, all in good shape? 20 bucks.

Cheers - Dave

mandocrucian
Dec-24-2011, 10:22am
Congratulations, fellow vinyl addict!!!

I've got the first 4 on your list. (on LP btw). I still check out the LPs at library sales, etc. to pick up stuff at bargain prices ($1.00 or less), or something that never got reissued on CD. I lost my LP of the first It's A Beautiful Day some years back, but I just can't bring myself to shell out the $30 or so that the CD reissue is going for.

Wouldn't mind find finding some stuff (50's LPs) like the Sam Most-Herbie Mann Quintet albums (which are too extravagently priced on CD for my wallet).

As you say, most of the time it's junk like 101 Strings, but occasionally you hit gold and stuff that you would never expect. (I once found an LP of the first Malicorne album, French pressing since that stuff never came out over here, at a yard sale.)

Unlike a lot of folks I know, I never dumped my vinyl and I'm glad I held onto to it. There 2500+ on the shelves in the basement and I'll burn whatever LP or tracks I want to listen/learn onto CDR. At one point, I was trying to make copies until it wore me down...it would have taken burning 4-6 albums every day for 2-3 years.

Yeah, I really had the "Vinyl Monkey" on my back when I was in my 20's. Pretty much kicked the addiction, though not entirely, but I manage to keep it low-cost. (Plus I've already got most of what I "need"!)

NH

journeybear
Dec-24-2011, 4:14pm
Good score! I have found lots of gems in similar situations (these days, yard sales), but finding that many in one place makes for a thrilling experience. Over the last couple years I have found things like Sgt. Pepper - with the insert, moustache and all - Sticky Fingers - with zipper, still working - and Lone Justice, signed by Maria McKee. At one yard sale Whipped Cream was in the stack, inexplicably a few records from the top. I corrected that for those to come later.

But back to your treasures ... I have most of those, except the Steve Goodman ones. Bet they're good.

Ry Cooder: Paradise and Lunch - #4 from him, one of his best, probably my favorite after his first one (which has his great rendition of Sleepy John Estes' "Goin' To Brownsville," which showed me how powerful a mandolin can be). The first side is one home run after another.
Jim Kweskin Jug Band: Garden of Joy - This is a later but still pretty darn good album from them, might even be the last album with the classic lineup on it.
Levon Helm and the RCO All-Stars - great first solo album by Levon with some of his friends - as you pointed out, some friends! There's a song on it I wish someone would post the words to or a vid clip of, frustrating interweb omission - "Blues So Bad." Slinky little tune, great lyrics. If you can find the time to enlighten the world, or maybe even just me :grin: I would greatly appreciate it. My copy is in deep storage.

That is, whenever you come up for air. You've got a lot of listening to do! :)

Never mind - I see it has finally shown up, just last year. Sweet!

lNMU-TuSTrM