PDA

View Full Version : real vs. fake inlays

Paul Edwards
Feb-06-2012, 7:57am
So I keep hearing about real inlays and "fake"(glossed over) inlays. Is there any way just by observing the headstock that you would be able to tell if it's real or not?

multidon
Feb-06-2012, 1:41pm
If you hold the headstock up to a strong light and let the light reflect off at an angle you will easily see the slightly raised border surrounding the "inlay". True inlays should be perfectly level.

almeriastrings
Feb-06-2012, 2:07pm
Not quite that easy in some cases, even under good light with a magnifying lens. If you have a very thick finish, and they flatten it right off, it can be really hard to be sure... some recent ones are really pretty convincing. In fact one clue is that they look almost too perfect. Directly comparing a couple of mandolins in the $8K+ bracket with a couple of of sub-$1K "copies", the cheaper ones look virtually flawless, whereas the real thing have a few imperfections and you can just see a bit of filler use. They cut these things with incredible precision from shell veneer sheets. See http://www.dukeofpearl.com/ for more on the materials and techniques used. Of course, there are two quite reliable other ways to tell. One is if you ever need to refinish the headstock! The other is that if you have a very nice, fancy "inlay" on a cheaper instrument....

foldedpath
Feb-06-2012, 3:17pm
Almeriastrings has a very good point about minor flaws as an indication of the real thing. I have several high-end instruments with inlayed logos, and not a single one is "perfect" in the evenness of reflection and distribution of color. They all have little quirks; a darker area here or there, or one side more colorful than the other.

There may be luthiers making high-end instruments who sometimes manage to select the raw material to produce "perfect" inlay, or who do inlay as a primary activity and are therefore more skilled and selective (I'm thinking of luthiers like Harvey Leach). But at that level, I think one can assume that a perfect or near-perfect looking inlay is the real thing, judging by the high cost of the instrument. Nobody is going to fake it at that level.

Tim2723
Feb-06-2012, 4:34pm
By 'fake' are we talking about decals buried under a clear finish?

Brent Hutto
Feb-06-2012, 4:36pm
At least a decal does not require CITES documentation.

Paul Edwards
Feb-06-2012, 5:17pm
Thanks guys.. just making sure. I thought the inlay on my kentucky looked too good to be true.. and it was.

peter.coombe
Feb-06-2012, 6:25pm
At least a decal does not require CITES documentation.

Neither does real shell. There is only one species of abalone listed on CITES, and that is not used for inlay. Pearl oyster, Paua Abalone and sme other pearl and abalone species are farmed, so they are certainly not endangered species, nor are they rare as is commonly stated. Shell inlay is expensive mainly because of the labour involved in preparing the raw blank from the shell, and the labour involved in cutting and inlaying the final product. A decal involves very little labour.

jim simpson
Feb-06-2012, 7:28pm
I used to own an all black Kentucky KM-1000. A friend of mine really liked it, he bought a KM-675 and proceeded to try to strip it to repaint black. He told me that he first discovered the thin headstock inlay that slid off in the process. He also said that it had fake dovetail joint risers that came off in the process.

Brent Hutto
Feb-06-2012, 7:49pm
I could have sworn there were accounts on this forum a year or two ago about people having import or export trouble due to shell (abalone?) ornamentation on a guitar. Or maybe it was on the Martin forum or the Mandolin Cafe.

More likely I just mis-remember.

Paul Edwards
Feb-06-2012, 9:04pm
Yeah I have a kentucky 1500 and I can see the faint outline around the "inlay".. I thought this might be the case. Still sounds good though.. fun to play.

Thanks again guys

epicentre
Feb-06-2012, 9:24pm
I can't see the problem using decals as long as one is not trying to defraud. Some of them are pretty sharp and dress up an instrument.................but that's just me.:grin:

almeriastrings
Feb-07-2012, 3:39am
Most of the early efforts at this (thinking of Ibanez, etc.) back in the 70's were pretty obvious. Now, though, using laser cut overlays of real - genuine - abalone (abalam) from incredibly thin sheets they have it down to a fine art. Even 'real' inlays (at least on factory instruments) these days are much thinner and more precise than you used to find in years gone by.

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-07-2012, 3:56am
I have to say that if some of the headstock 'inlays' that i've seen have been 'decals',then the material they're made of is incredibly like the 'real thing',light years ahead of the sheet 'fake' MOP or Abalone that you can buy. Almeira most likely has it if they are using Abalam or similar 'laminated' sheet material,although the thinnest i've seen is still 1.5mm thick & would need quite a build up of lacquer to make it seem flush with the surface - unless they glue it on & sand it to a lesser thickness before applying the lacquer,
Ivan

almeriastrings
Feb-07-2012, 5:59am
they are using Abalam or similar 'laminated' sheet material,although the thinnest i've seen is still 1.5mm thick

Now, typically .006" (.015mm) for an overlay though they can get right down to .004". All cut with lasers under computer control. Even the real inlays are often routed via cnc these days... so it is all much more precise. Also less wasteful of natural resources. The only real drawback with overlays is that if you damage the headstock and need to refinish you have a real problem......

Big Joe
Feb-07-2012, 1:18pm
Don't assume that just because it is not actually inlaid into the headstock that it is not real pearl or abalone. Some may use a decal, but those will usually not look like real pearl or abalone. Decals have been used for a very long time by nearly everyone. That or a silk screen logo. However, some of the imports do use a thin strip of pearl or abalone cut by laser and rests on top of the wood rather than actually inlaid into the wood.

Laser cutting inlays is not new either. Most companies now use laser cut inlays for several reasons. First is cost. It cost a LOT less than cutting it by hand. Second, it is far more consistent. It is also much better for ones health. The laser cut inlays fit very tight, have few flaws, and look marvelous. Nearly everyone uses that method anymore or buys fingerboards from one who does laser cutting.

peter.coombe
Feb-08-2012, 5:15pm
I could have sworn there were accounts on this forum a year or two ago about people having import or export trouble due to shell (abalone?) ornamentation on a guitar. Or maybe it was on the Martin forum or the Mandolin Cafe.

More likely I just mis-remember.

No you did not mis-remember. There are still problems importing or exporting shell inlay materials, and instruments containing shell inlay, to or from the USA, but it has nothing to do with CITES. Implementation of the US Lacey Act is the problem, not CITES. CITES and Lacey are often confused, but they are distinctly different.

mandroid
Feb-09-2012, 1:15pm
There is a pearloid plastic that I've seen [ in Pictures ] being poured
in to a cavity routed in the face of headstocks on some major brand
mass produced stuff..

would fit as tight as beer in a glass ..