View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Arpeggio in B Major

I have found arpeggios in many scales, but cannot locate practice arpeggios in the key of B. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Tim
  2. Mandolin Mondays #290 /// "Rocky Mountain Goat"

Tuning in this week from the Rocky Mountains of CO! Mile Twelve just finished up teaching and playing at Rocky Grass, so I thought I'd share this awesome tune I learned from Fiddlin' Doc Roberts that really fits the setting.

Here's a transcription of the melody if anyone wants a copy! https://drive.google.com/file/d/18bh...ew?usp=sharing

Mile Twelve is finally back on the road again! ...
  3. D'Addario or GHS strings

D'Addario or GHS strings which is better?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Mandolin Mondays Featuring Special guest Oliver Bates Craven

This week on Mandolin Mondays, we're joined by the great Oliver Bates Craven for a spin on this original tune "The Back Cottage," played on his amazing sounding Kimble mandolin.

Originally from Lancaster, Pennsylvania, Oliver Bates Craven is a Nashville based singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalist. The oldest son of a folk-singing preacher, his diverse musical upbringing included a family band, a ...

Updated Jul-19-2021 at 10:01am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. The shape of the past

The aesthetics are important. Certainly aesthetics are secondary to tone and playability and build quality. But, even within those limits we do need to consider shape of the instrument.

A lot of what is important to me about music is its connections to past music. And the aesthetic connection helps with that. I can more easily see myself as a part of something gigantic with a long history and legacy if my instrument is either old, or looks similar enough to what was used "back ...

Updated Jul-17-2021 at 2:26pm by JeffD

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Mandolin Mondays #288 w/ Special Guest Kylie Kay Anderson

This week on Mandolin Mondays, we've got special guest Kylie Kay Anderson here all the way from Cork, Ireland to play this wonderful rendition of the classic fiddle tune "East TN Blues" played on her workhorse Eastman MD515 mandolin.

Kylie was born and raised in the Western United States. She got hooked on the mandolin from a young ange and soon went on to earn several awards, including 2012 Utah State Mandolin and ...
  7. Mandolin Mondays #287 /// "8th of January"

Is it July or January...? Here's a not-so-beginner version of the beginner tune "8th of January" that I've been teaching as a part of my big beginner lesson series over on YouTube!

Check out the free lesson video for this tune at the link below--this is Part 9 of a 17 Part video series over on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apF1Up02HR4

Also, you can grab the tab/notation for the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized