View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Don't Do This

Never adjust your truss rod, then try to do it all at once.
    It will look like this- after it sticks out the back of the neck.
    Ouch!
    Neck replacement

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0614.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	352.4 KB 
ID:	146569

It strikes me that I am going to have take some pretty mando, or mando player, pictures to offset repair pics as they are not very pretty. Kinda scary actually. Wait for the next one.
  2. Mando Repair

It's better to have your mando repaired locally, however you have probably run into the situation where the local guy is really only familiar with guitars. We know mandos are a different animal (I was thinking more grizzly or tiger icon-Scott : )

Choose the Mandolin Authority
    Feel free to call and chat with Bruce 406-580-6065
    bruce@montanalutherie.com

Do you like our new logo?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Badge_BW.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	880.0 KB 
ID:	146568
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Mandolin Mondays #20 - Theme and Variations on "Bury Me Beneath"

Last week was Maybelle Carter's birthday, and this time 13 years ago we lost her daughter, June Carter. In memory of these two amazing artists, I put together a few different versions of the Carter Family's great tune "Bury Me Beneath the Willow" in a quasi-classical Theme and Variations format.

You can now get a tab/notation transcription for this video, and all of my other personal solo Mandolin Mondays arrangements ...
  4. Mandolin Mondays # 19 - "Hushabye Mountain"

Visiting memories from my childhood with this haunting lullaby from the great Sherman Brothers and the slightly disturbed genius of Roald Dahl in the classic Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

You can now get a tab/notation transcription for this video, and all of my other personal solo Mandolin Mondays arrangements on my Patreon site here: https://www.patreon.com/davidbenedictmandolin

Happy Picking!

David
  5. Mandolin Mondays #18 - Homer the Roamer

It's been nearly 15 years since the amazing John Hartford left us. So wish that I could have met him. This is one of my most favorite tunes ever, one that John wrote called "Homer the Roamer."

You can now get a tab/notation transcription for this video, and all of my other personal solo Mandolin Mondays arrangements on my Patreon site here: https://www.patreon.com/davidbenedictmandolin

Happy Picking! ...

Updated Jun-01-2020 at 4:38am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Baumont Mandolin

I have acquired an old Kay-Kraft style mandolin with a diamond shaped, Bone tag attached to the headstock which reads in part, "Baumont" with the remnants of the name "Gleason" and "Brooklyn, NY" at bottom left and right. This is a heavy instrument with painted binding of a light mauve color. The instrument appears to be at a minimum from the Early Teens of last century (that much gunk on the surface at least)
    Does anyone know anything about this maker?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Mandolin Mondays #17 - Three Dog Night "Joy to the World"

70's rock on the mandolin! What could be better?

Happy Picking!

David

Updated Jun-01-2020 at 4:36am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Uncle Charles and the Root Beer

I knew him as Uncle Charles. He wasn’t my uncle. He had no nieces or nephews. Everyone just always called him Uncle Charles. He was in his mid 80s when I knew him, and he lived with his wife Elizabeth, in an earth bermed house that you couldn’t see from the road. You just had to know where to turn. The easiest way was to drive to the T intersection at the end of the road, turn around and drive back exactly 1.8 miles. Exactly.

You
    had to take this long unpaved driveway down and around ...

Updated Apr-20-2021 at 1:01pm by JeffD

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Mandolin Mondays #16 - Bob Dylan Mandolin Medley

Time for 3 chords and the truth--and the mandolin! Here's a medley of 3 of my favorite Bob Dylan Songs: "Mr. Tamburine," "Blowin' in the Wind," and "The Times They are A-Changin'"

Happy Picking! ...
  10. MAS This

A recent thread about MAS inspired my thinking a bit. But I didn’t want to go on about it in the thread, and sound like I was “justifying” or “defending” what could be looked upon as conspicuous consumption.

In terms of numbers I do not have as many mandolin as some of the real accumulators out there, but I do have a few. I have more mandolins than I can play at the same time, and I don't think it’s a crazy number. As you read this you will, I hope, realize that it is even kind of ...

Updated Apr-14-2016 at 7:13pm by JeffD

Categories
    Uncategorized