View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Carl Jones and Erynn Marshall Online Classes starts Feb 26, 2023

by , Feb-20-2023 at 10:43am (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    Where does a song or tune come from? That is a bit of a mystery which we all discover in different ways. Feel free to join me in my songwriting online classes (starting Feb 26 April 9… 2 - 3 pm Eastern Standard Time) where we will spark each other into songdom and unravel a bit of life’s mysteries along the way. Or you can get some mando insights
    Tuesdays Feb 28 - Apr 4, Mando-mazing! (Carl) 7:30pm-8:30pm EST. Always more to learn and to uncover about new ways to look at things you already ...
  2. Son of a Gun - Alex Heflin

I don't typically sing, I don't typically play guitar, and I don't typically play songs I wrote.

Here's a little bit of all three of those things. Sorry for the lack of mandolin on this one!

3. Cane Mill Road - Five Speed

Hey Cafe users!

Cane Mill Road's new album "Five Speed" is out and available for purchase!

you can order it here:

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/canemillroad

I have played with Cane Mill Road for three years now, I did a brief stint on Guitar during the time when the album was made but I now play Mando and Fiddle for the group! (I play both Mando and Guitar on the album)

Please check us out on Facebook:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 2.29.03 PM.png 
Views:	557 
Size:	605.6 KB 
ID:	158542  
  4. On Playing Other Instruments before the Mandolin (Gasp!)

Note: I wrote this in reference to a thread in which advice was given about where to begin to learn the mandolin. It so happened that the individual who started the thread had been a guitar player first, a not to uncommon place to begin.

The mandolin is truly its own unique and special instrument. Whether first a guitar player or not, it is a great joy to begin to play and forge a life playing. It is not a negative thing about the mandolin to suggest that it has similarities ...
  5. Top 4 Skills/Traits to have in an Instrument Shop!

6. How I got into guitar building

I've worked Cordoba guitars in Oxnard, CA for a year and worked on their master series, custom guitars, prototype development, and repairs. So I thought it would fun to write a series on working in a guitar shop. Enjoy!
    http://erinpattersonmusic.blogspot.com/
  7. Starting Out

I am currently finishing my first violin at the Jacobs School of Music at Indiana University. I love what I do and I am interested in pursuing this career. I would eventually like to branch out and make guitars/banjos/mandolins etc. I'm not sure where to begin.

How did folks start out? Do you have any tips for someone new to this community? I'm currently employed, but would like to do this on the side until I can get my footing.
  8. Sierra Hull & Hwy 111 at IBMA this year

A band member plays Sierra's new Weber Yellowstone Honey/Tortoise Guitar
    Tags: guitar, weber
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. First Black Ice Guitar (not a mando- but it's carved)

It was shipped to Acoustic Vibes, AZ.
    Tags: guitar, weber
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PHsmall.jpg 
Views:	634 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	76977   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	necksmall.jpg 
Views:	635 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	76978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backsmall.jpg 
Views:	654 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	76979  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullfrontsmall.jpg 
Views:	645 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	76980  
  10. Long Black Veil

Hi Everyone!
    I just posted a new video to Youtube. The song is "Long Black Veil" by Danny Dill and Marijohn Wilkins. The arrangement is something I came up with a few years ago.

The occasion is a recording session I did last week (May 12, 2010), which is why the big capsule mics are hanging in the shot.

Again, no mandolin on my part, but plenty of space for yours.
    • Short opening at the top and a full verse break after the first refrain. ...

Updated Jan-08-2022 at 5:04pm by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
    Recording Sessions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast