View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Mandolin Monday #378 w/ Special Guest Alan Epstein

Returning to Mandolin Mondays this week, we have Alan Epstein with us playing the old classic "Soldier's Joy" on his brand new Gilchrist Model 4 #841 mandolin.

Alan appeared on Mandolin Mondays 6 years ago to the day, and since then he's been busy teaching and playing the mandolin, and cooking! In June of 2021, after 25 years of being an active mandolin teacher, Alan took a 1 year break to go to Culinary School ...
  2. Mandolin Mondays w/ Special Guest Elisa Meyer Ferreira

Returning to Mandolin Mondays this week we have Elisa Meyer Ferreira of Choro das 3 with a very special performance of Jacob do Bandolim's tune “Primas e Bordőes” on her late mentor Paulo Fasanaro's mandolin.

The youngest sister of Choro das 3, Elisa started studying music at 8 years old, diving straight into learning choro. She studied the bandolim at the Tatui Conservatory under professor Altino Tolodo, ...
  3. Mandolin Mondays #376 w/ Special Guest Joe Brent

Returning to Mandolin Mondays this week we have NYC mandolinist Joe Brent of 9 Horses and Adhyâropa Records with us playing a beautiful original tune called "NaNo" on his Adam Buchwald (Circle Strings) 5 string electric mandolin.

Joe is a true gem of a mandolin player. His work extends from collaborations with the New York Philharmonic to the legendary Woody Allen. His band 9 Horses combines classical, jazz, and ...
  4. The Unpredictable Jacob do Bandolim

Elisa Meyer Ferreira

Oi amigos do Mandolin Cafe!

It's about time to tell you what Jacob do Bandolim did with the recommendation letter Luiz Americano hand wrote for him to introduce him to the radio. If you haven't read my previous article you can do so here.

Jacob couldn't have felt happier with this amazing surprise, to meet Luiz Americano completely by chance. Luiz was very well known and famous at the time. He was at a shop to fix his wife's guitar. ...

Updated Mar-14-2023 at 3:17pm by ElisaBandolim

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Mandolin Mondays #375 w/ Special Guest Brian Carroll

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by mandolinist, songwriter, and music journalist, Brian Carroll of the online music publication Red Line Roots, playing an original instrumental called "Man in a Ballon" on his guitar bodied octave mandolin made by Andrew Mueller of Muleskinner Instruments.

Brian is a multi-instrumentalist and songwriter who spent over a decade in the Boston music community, releasing 4 ...
  6. Mandolin Mondays #374 w/ Special Guest Ethan Setiawan

Returning to Mandolin Mondays this week, we have mandolinist Ethan Setiawan playing a stunning crosspicking original tune from his forthcoming album. The composition is called "Uncrossed" and Ethan is playing his Monteleone Grand Artist here.

Originally from Goshen, Indiana, Ethan Setiawan has a command of the instrument far beyond his twenty-five years. He's a Berklee School of Music Alum, and has won both the ...
  7. Mandolin Mondays #373 w/ Special Guest Jess Iaquinto

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by Fireside Collective mandolinist Jesse Iaquinto from Asheville, NC, playing an original tune called "Dazy in the Garden" played on his Duff F5 mandolin.

Jesse Iaquinto is the mandolinist, lead vocalist and founding member of Asheville, North Carolina bluegrass band “Fireside Collective”. Originally classically trained on piano, Iaquinto fell in love ...
  8. Carl Jones and Erynn Marshall Online Classes starts Feb 26, 2023

by , Feb-20-2023 at 10:43am (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    Where does a song or tune come from? That is a bit of a mystery which we all discover in different ways. Feel free to join me in my songwriting online classes (starting Feb 26 April 9… 2 - 3 pm Eastern Standard Time) where we will spark each other into songdom and unravel a bit of life’s mysteries along the way. Or you can get some mando insights
    Tuesdays Feb 28 - Apr 4, Mando-mazing! (Carl) 7:30pm-8:30pm EST. Always more to learn and to uncover about new ways to look at things you already ...
  9. Mandolin Mondays #373 w/ Special Guest Scott Liebers

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by mandolin luthier and player Scott Liebers from Minnesota playing an original tune called "Sawdust in the Frying Pan" on his very first octave mandolin build.

Scott became a mandolin player via violin and guitar from an early age. "Mandolin seemed like the logical next step," he says. He was a recording engineer for Minnesota Public Radio for 10 years and spent ...
  10. Jacob do Bandolim's Love at First Sight

Name:  elisa2.jpg
Views: 2865
Size:  46.6 KB

I am very happy to announce that I will be sharing my love for Choro here on the Mandolin Cafe. I will do my best to tell you all a little bit of the history of Choro music, the bandolim, and bandolim players here. It couldn’t be a better day to begin, since we celebrate both Valentine's Day and Jacob do Bandolim's birthday this week!

With that in mind, I thought it would be a good idea to tell you a story about Jacob do Bandolim and his "love ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized