View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Mandolin Mondays #386 w/ Special Guest Laetitia Barbera

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by Italian mandolinist Laetitia Barbera playing "Pelagias's Song" from the movie Captain Corelli's mandolin.

Born in Taormina, a beautiful town in Sicily, Laetitia began her studies in piano, double bass and mandolin at the Messina Conservatory at a very young age. She's a member of the centennial "Orchestra a plettro di Taormina." Laetitia developed her career ...
  2. Mandolin Mondays #385 w/ Special Guest Guđmundur Atli Pétursson

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by Icelandic mandolinist Guđmundur Atli Pétursson of the band Brek playing an original untitled composition on his 2010 Andrew Mowry mandolin.

Guđmundur has worked with the bluegrass band Illgresi, as well as participating in various projects such as playing musical instruments on recordings and concerts with Baggalút, Brother Grass, Krumma and others. Now he plays with the new Icelandic ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Mandolin Mondays #384 w/ Special Guest Andy Leftwich

Returning to Mandolin Mondays this week, we're joined by multi-instrumentalist extraordinaire Andy Leftwich and his Gilchrist mandolin to share an original tune called "Kimper County" from his brand new solo album.

Four-time GRAMMY-winning instrumentalist Andy Leftwich began playing the fiddle at the age of six, entering his first contest at seven and winning the National Championship for Beginners ...
  4. Mandolin Mondays #383 w/ Special Guest Emory Lester

Returning to Mandolin Mondays this week, we have the incredible Emory Lester playing an original tune called "Kings Quest" on his Heiden Heritage Model.

EMORY LESTER is one of this day's foremost exponents of the acoustic mandolin. The power and attach of his mandolin playing are unmatched, and his sound is infectious. His landmark mandolin-featured recording projects have placed him among the elite mandolinists ...
  5. A History of The Birth of Choro

Elisa Meyer Ferreira

Oi amigos do Mandolin Cafe!

April 23 we celebrated National Choro Day in Brazil. So, taking the suggestion of my "newsroom" (haha), I decided to write about the beginnings of this genre of music I love. I took the opportunity to invite someone to help me with the subject, who, in my opinion, is one of the people who has the deepest knowledge about Choro history. Fortunately, it happens to be my sister, Corina Meyer Ferreira!

Updated May-02-2023 at 6:56am by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Mandolin Mondays #382 w/ Special Guest Abbey Thomas

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by UK mandolinist Abbey Thomas of the band Blue Lass playing a beautiful original tune called "End of the Night Waltz" on her Capek F5 mandolin.

Growing up in the far corner of Cornwall, Abbey Thomas had to travel far and wide to find the music she loved. She soon bought a mandolin and began to focus on American folk genres including bluegrass and old-time music, and now ...