View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Paralyzed by Choice

[Paste from my post in the Theory forum]

I want to critically examine my practice regimen and make serious headway this year. Practice time is basically an hour a day.

Right now I start with playing the Aonzo scales through three times at 90, 115, and 140 bpm, then pick up two tunes I am getting to speed (Dusty Miller and Japan) and work on those up to 180-200 bpm, then go to a new tune I am working on learning and playing faster (right now Billy in the Low Ground--the ...
    Categories
    Song projects
  2. Love Old Obscure Songs

I have a love for "old" tunes, obscure stuff, stuff that "old folk" might recognize and enjoy. Maybe your the same. If so, I am looking for the lyrics to an old tune my grand dad use to sing. I dont think anyone ever wrote it down and my mom can't remember all the words.

I can only remember part of it and thought this would be a great place to get help getting it together. It is a simple tune, here is what I know, if you know the whole thing please let me ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Please check out my blog at http://rekx.wordpress.com

4. Youtube

I took the next step to ego growth. Posted a video to youtube. Wayfaring Stranger, mandolin. Mainly trying out the new digicam and learning about the squeeks and thuds possessed by my Ibanez
    Also available on facebook. I think my page is viewable by anyone. Just type in my name.

Updated Jan-07-2009 at 10:53pm by Troy Mayfield (more information)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. And the results are in...

A BIG thumbs up to the refret!

The mandolin plays almost effortlessly now! Fretting is a breeze (even with a relatively high action), and the notes just jump out. More importantly, the rattle of strings on uneven frets is gone, so the notes are pure for possibly the first time since I've owned this mandolin. Its weird, but the whole effect of playing this mandolin is completely different; despite the neck still not being a great fit for my hand, its much less of an issue because I ...

Updated Jan-04-2009 at 10:23pm by jasona

Categories
    Hardware
  6. Thanks

Great to have this resource, especially those of us just starting out.

Updated Jan-06-2009 at 12:02pm by Londawg (guestions answered)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Its in my hands!

Sort of.

Just picked the mandolin up at the Greyhound station. I have removed the case from the box, and am now letting it warm up. Except, it was already in a warm warehouse since possibly last night. I can check it now, can't I? No! Must let it rest for a few hours more. But, the case was at room temperature when I removed it from the box. NO! Mustn't let eagerness allow finish checking! but finish checking looks cool and vintage...
    Categories
    Hardware
  8. Ahh, that's nice.

Pulled out my F5 yesterday and played it for a few hours. It was a welcome bit of sweetness. (I've overdone the candy and chocolates during the holidays, so any other kind of sweetness is unwelcome.)

No plugs, no amp, no cables, no overdrive, no chorus, no flanger. Indeed, no electricity. Playing this mandolin was like coming home. My fingers knew where to go, and they explored the fretboard seemingly of their own volition, flying from one tune or phrase to the next.
    Categories
    Acoustic Adventures
  9. Now What?

The pedal board is versatile, useful, and for the time being complete.

The next thing I need to work on is one of the instruments. I love the Altered Tele enough to turn it back into a standard guitar, so I'd like to get something I can tune to 5ths.

I've already tweaked the Mandobird by turning it into mandola. So I need something more akin to a mandolin. I'm thinking an 18" scale length, 5 strings, and tuned as an octave mandolin with a high B string.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. The Mandolin Cafe in Review for 2008

Yes, it's New Year's Eve, but I'm a parent, so, no big parties with hats and horns here... I'm the designated driver and need to shuttle a couple of giggly 12 year-old girls visiting my daughter home at some point later this evening. I don't need my mug shot showing up online. Maybe a glass of single malt whisky awaits me later after that duty is handled. Or maybe it's just bed time.

Earlier I'd highlighted some events in the Mandolin Community in 2008 that were the highlights, ...