View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Mandocello tabs

Hello,
    Does anyone have tabs for mandocello that they could share? I'd like to learn Shape of My Heart by Sting on my mandocello.
    I know its a random question but someone just might have created tabs for that song and might be willing to share it.
    Best wishes,
    Beemer.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Mandolin Mondays #408 w/ Wolfgang Meyering & Michael Waterstradt

This week on Mandolin Mondays, we're joined by German mandolinist Wolfgang Meyering with his Jurgen Richter mandolin and his bassist bandmate Michael Waterstrad playing an original tune called "Klompenswing."

Get to know Wolfgang and his music here with this lovely self introduction, "My name is Wolfgang Meyering from Germany. I send you a little humorous tune for Mandolin Mondays. It is a song that I have written ...

Updated Oct-30-2023 at 12:43pm by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Mandolin Mondays - Builders by the Numbers - Part 2

Name:  mondays.jpg
Views: 2387
Size:  50.9 KB

On October 26, 2021 we posted a blog summarizing the numbers of specific mandolins used by guests as part of David Benedict's long running Mandolin Mondays series. That bit of information sparked some interesting conversation worth revisiting.

Fast forward two years later we decided to update the list with new information with 406 episodes now published.

Before consuming this information we strongly suggest you review our comments ...

Updated Oct-26-2023 at 4:46pm by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Mandolin Mondays #407 w/ Special Guest Michael Daves

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by bluegrass guitar and vocal powerhouse Michael Daves, playing an old time fiddle tune called "Benton's Dream" on this mid-30s Gibson A50.

Born in Atlanta, Georgia, Michael Daves grew up playing bluegrass in the grand old tradition of staying up late & singing loud. Although he’s since moved north, the Southern roots permeate his music, however traditional or experimental. ...
  5. Mandolin Mondays #406 w/ Special Guest Jesse Smathers

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by Floyd, VA, mandolinist and guitarist of the Lonesome River Band, Jesse Smathers, playing the "Methodist Preacher" on his Hinde mandolin.

Jesse began playing the guitar at age 11, picked up the mandolin at 15, and was heavily influenced by the music of Lonesome River Band. In 2009, he won the guitar championship of the Virginia Folk Music Association. The following year, ...
  6. Mandolin Mondays #405 w/ Jonah Horton & Nathaniel Gilmore

This week on Mandolin Mondays, we're joined by Jonah Horton of The Trailblazers and percussionist Nathaniel Gilmore, playing their version of Weather Report's "Black Market." Jonah's tearing up that retrofitted Hondo HM5E electric mandolin!

From Wilkesboro, NC, Jonah Horton has been playing mandolin from a very young age. In addition to his work with the progressive bluegrass band, The Trailblazers, ...
  7. Mandolin Mondays #404 /// "Kentucky Mandolin"

Such a fun Monroe tune to play on a fitting instrument!

If you want to hear how this mandolin stacks up against 6 other beginner mandolins, check out the recent beginner mandolin comparison video that we just did on the channel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmTu2GpRE7o

Also, if you want a transcription of this arrangement, you can find the tab/notation here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ubS...ew?usp=sharing ...
  8. Mandolin Mondays #403 w/ Special Guest R. Wesley Carr

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by 2019 National Mandolin Champion, R. Wesley Carr playing an original tune called "The Chicken Thief" on his Collings MF5 Custom mandolin.

Recent winner of the prestigious National Mandolin Championships in Winfield, Kansas, R. Wesley Carr has demonstrated a rare ability to combine masterful technique and innovation while paying homage to tradition. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Luperce Miranda - Brazil's Paganini of the Mandolin, Part 1

Elisa Meyer Ferreira

I'm currently riding in a motorhome somewhere in the middle of North Carolina, and recalling one of my most pleasant memories- the chats I used to have with my beloved mandofriend Mr. Paulo Fasanaro. Every Saturday morning, we used to get together at a very traditional "roda de choro" in São Paulo city where Mr. Paulo would be waiting to offer me his mandolin to play. I would be anxious to show him the new things I practiced during the week. He would ...

Updated Sep-19-2023 at 1:01pm by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Mandolin Mondays #402 w/ Special Guest Ian Coury

Back with a vengeance! This week Brazilian mandolinst Ian Coury returns to Mandolin Mondays with this virtousic original composition called "Solando no Limbo" (Soloing in Limbo) played on his powerful 10-string bandolim built by Pedro Santos.

If you're unfamiliar with Ian's work, he's one of the most respected virtuosos of the 10-string bandolim and the Choro genre. Since last on the series, Ian has been busy teaching ...