View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Mandolin Mondays #401 w/ Special Guest Noah Fishman

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by Maine multi-instrumentalist Noah Fishman and his Campanella Dué mandolin playing this moving original tune entitled "The Way Home" from his recent album.

Noah Fishman is a performer, composer, and educator. Rooted in Maine, Noah ventures to make bold, playful statements by bending lines between folk, chamber, and jazz. At home on a number of stringed instruments including ...
  2. Carl Jones and Erynn Marshall - Online Classes Return Sept 2023

by , Sep-04-2023 at 5:41pm (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    Hello to all string ticklers out there,
    Just like you I am always trying to improve my playing and one common denominator we all have is using and selecting a pick.
    Nowadays there are so many choices it's hard to choose. Does the pick make that much difference?
    I will say I have tried many picks through the years and do like the sound and tone of some of the more expensive ones. That being said, I have seen a great player produce an equally amazing sound with a plectrum he ...
  3. Mandolin Mondays #400!

Wow, another huge milestone for Mandolin Mondays--400 consecutive weeks! In celebration, I'm so excited to be with you all this week to play a little music with this 1923 Gibson A model snakehead mandolin that I recently acquired. Been loving the way that Bach's music sounds on this thing, so I thought I'd share my take on the beautiful Prelude from Cello Suite No. 1.

Can't thank you all enough for watching these 8 years! ...
  4. Mandolin Mondays #399 w/ Special Guest Ward Dhoore

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by Belgian multi-instrumentalist Ward Dhoore playing an absolutely beautiful original composition called "Bobby" on his Shippey Axe Octave Mandolin.

Born in Sint-Lievens-Houtem in the Flemish part of Belgium Ward Dhoore grew up in a musical family. Early on he started touring all over Europe, the UK, the US, and Canada with his two brothers Koen & ...
  5. Mandolin Mondays #398 w/ The Appalachian Mandolin Trio

Returning to Mandolin Mondays this week, we're joined by The Appalachian Mandolin Trio Featuring Owen Parker playing an original composition called "Seventh Tune" off of their brand new album that's out today. Mandolins used on the recording include a Kimble A, Dearstone F-5, Ellis F5 Reserve, Derrington Gibson Master Model (formally owned by Hershel Sizemore).

The Appalachian Mandolin Trio has announced an August ...
  6. String differences?

Greetings, I have used D’Addario EJ74 strings on my Eastman f style mandolin for years. I’m wondering how other strings differ in tone and playability. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Mandolin Mondays #397 w/ Special Guest The Mountain Grass Unit

This week on Mandolin Mondays, we're joined by The Mountain Grass Unit bluegrass band featuring mandolinist Drury Anderson playing an original tune called "Boundary Waters" on his Gibson mandolin.

The Mountain Grass Unit consists of three Birmingham pickers, Drury Anderson (mandolin and vocals), Luke Black (acoustic guitar and banjo), and Sam Wilson (upright bass). The Mountain Grass Unit has ...
  8. Mandolin Mondays #396 w/ Special Guests The Cody Sisters

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by Megan and Maddie of the Colorado acoustic band The Cody Sisters. This is an original composition composed for Mandolin Mondays and played on a Collings mandolin and Fletcher Brock octave mandolin.

The Cody Sisters Band is the very heart of contemporary acoustic music in Colorado, the United States and UK. Their propulsive instrumental solos and warm harmonies combine to grip the ...

Updated Aug-07-2023 at 10:45am by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Mandolin Mondays #395 w/ Special Guest Tony Williamson

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by renowned mandolinist Tony Williamson playing a rendition of the swing standard "Moonglow" on his July 9th 1923 Lloyd Loar Gibson F5 mandolin.

2018 North Carolina Heritage Award recipient Tony Williamson is a visionary musician, composer, musical instrument expert, teacher and mentor. He has played stringed instruments, most famously mandolin, for six decades and has ...
  10. Poetry from the past

I am posting here a poem I wrote (cobbled together) maybe 8 or nine years ago, when in the middle of the pick price rants.

I post it because I spent a bunch of time trying to find it, and for the future I know it will always be here.

A young mandolinner named Dave,
    Found a flat rock in a cave,
    It was too bulky and thick
    To make a good pick,
    But think of the money he'd save!

Categories
    Uncategorized