View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Buying and Selling Used Mandos

I don't usually post this often but we have a lot going on with the new website, or it could be today's eclipse...it got down to 66 degrees!

You may have noticed that we are introducing a new service called Mandolin Authority Certification, or MAC, for short.

You can send in your mandolin family instrument to be checked out, tuned up, and evaluated. Bruce has worked on many different brands of instruments and we welcome them all (not just for Webers in other words : ...
  2. Mandolin Mondays #86 w/ Special Guest Tim Connell

This week Tim Connell joins us on Mandolin Mondays for some George Harrison and a hot beverage--a stellar solo arrangement played on Tim's Arrow G-Model mandolin.

Tim Connell is one of the shining mandolin gems of the West Coast. Amazingly prolific, diverse, and adroit, Tim traverses between bluegrass, Celtic, swing, choro, classical, and pop music with ease. His ongoing projects with Rio Con Brio, Stumptown Swing, and Eric Skye ...
  3. New Website

Montana Lutherie's website went live- take a look when you get a chance:
    www.montanalutherie.com

Still have a few parts and accessories to add but the platform is there!
  4. Mandolin Mondays #85 w/ Special Guest Don Stiernberg

This week, the man, the myth, the legend, Don Stiernberg proffers a delightful chord melody on this old jazz standard with his incomparable 2-point Nugget mandolin.

We all know and love Don--protege of the tremendous Jethro Burns, leader of the new generation of jazz mandolinists, Chicago Cubs fan, and an all around wonderful person. The wealth and depth of his recorded jazz mandolin work is bar none. His most recent album, ...
  5. My Mandolin in my Band

This is one of my bands were I playing mandolin.

[YOUTUBE=RHzhjegvtfM][/YOUTUBE]
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Help! Im trying to figure out what I have for a mandolin!

I recently aquired an old resonator Mandolin from my father that he was gifted from a friend. I have been trying to figure out the make of it ever since. It does not have a name on it or a serial number. It looks like a regal harmony resonator but the two letters on the headstock I can see end in La. Here are a few picturesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10192.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	428.9 KB 
ID:	159980
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Mandolin Mondays #84 w/ Special Guest Adam Roszkiewicz

Mandolin Mondays #84: Front Country mandolinist Adam Roszkiewicz ("Roscoe") joins us this week on Mandolin Mondays for a solo rendition of an original tune.

In addition to his work with Front Country, Roscoe's music runs deep in the classical mandolin world. You may know him as the most recent mandocello player in the Grammy-nominated ensemble the Modern Mandolin Quartet--or from his work in Mike Marshall's classical ...
  8. I Love My Mandolin But...

No reason to not to love it completely...
    Many players who have sent their instrument in for tweaking, a refret, (or more) say they are so happy their irritant is taken care of. Contact Bruce and talk it over.

My 1990 Gibson A5-L has been with me since new, and for those 27 years I liked it (once it opened up, anyway), but never loved it. Until Bruce got ahold of it, that is.

The problem was the uncomfortably sharp V-profile of the neck. Other luthiers told me
  9. Mandolin Mondays #83 /// "Tennessee Waltz"

What key do you play the "TN Waltz" in? How about all of them!

You can now get a tab/notation transcription for this video, and all of my other personal solo Mandolin Mondays arrangements on my Patreon site here: https://www.patreon.com/davidbenedictmandolin

Happy Picking!

David
  10. Big Sciota

After hearing that Bill Collings passed away a few weeks ago I decided I wanted to put together an arrangement of a more traditional tune.

Anyway here's my arrangement - I hope you enjoy!