View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Farnum Family at Silver Dollar City!!!

I'm new to this blogging thing, but here goes.

The Farnum Family is going to be performing at Silver Dollar City next month for the Bluegrass & BBQ festival,
    For the Silver Dollar City's Third Annual National Single Mic Championship http://festivals.bransonsilverdollar...?id=10&pid=191 on May 16th & 17th, and the KSMU Youth in Bluegrass Band Contest http://festivals.bransonsilverdollar...n/?id=10&pid=7 on may 23rd & 24th, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. From the beginning

As I type this, I have not been playing mandolin for a week.

I started playing acoustic guitar in 1990. I am self taught and have always been a casual, recreational player, lending myself mainly to strumming and singing. There was a brief period in university (about 1 year) when I went without a guitar because I sold it for money to buy food.

My first guitar was an entry level Washburn, and after the break, I picked up a ###### Texarkana from a pawn shop. I made ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 11.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	55643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 14.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	55644  
  3. Catching Up

Just to catch you up...

I did see the insanely good Andy Statman that Sunday afternoon (3/23/09). He is, in a word, amazing. Go see him. Buy his CD. You haven't lived right until you've heard him roll through chromatic versions of "Rawhide," "Turkey in the Straw," and "Back Up & Push" that were surely making Big Mon squirm uncomfortably in his grave. Indeed, the old cabin home on the hill itself might have been creaking in musical discomfort ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Oh Well..........

Take my work for it, sittin' off the interstate in Portageville, Mo on Easter Sunday with a crack in the block running from below the cylinder head to as far as you can see is no way to save up to buy a new mando.

600hp Cat Rebuild=$18,000

Very Nice Mandolin=$18,000

Maybe it's time to retire.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Sucked Into the Swirling Vortex of Facebook

Yea, I'm hip. It's true. I'm on Facebook, baby. I knew it'd eventually happen. Confronted with the fact that my daughter is on there along with every friend she has (and those she will never meet), plus her sixth-grade teachers, her old piano teacher that lives 10 hours away, and about anyone else in her life. Time for a guy that is in love with a Unix command line with a black background and white text (don't start with me vim users. I'm not color coding and I mean it) to start receiving life-changing ...

Updated Apr-12-2009 at 11:13am by Scott Tichenor

Categories
    General Mandolin Comments
  6. Television and Radio commercials!!

Hello everyone!
    Recently Chris sat in with local band Hillbilly Highway in order to record a song for Race horse track Emerald Downs to use as an advertisement!
    It is currently airing on local television and radio, so keep your eyes and ears peeled!
    The song is "Break My Stride"
    You can visit: http://www.emeralddowns.com/?cat=6&id=1807&type=news and hear all 4 versions!
    www.​myspace.​com/​tangograss Facebook, search: Chris Luquette
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Song for Annika - My Best Gig... Ever

There are musical events that are meaningful, gigs that are prestigious and build a musical resume, or those that are just plain fun that you'll remember the rest of your life. Then there's that moment that is an entirely different level and one that many musicians might not ever have the opportunity to experience. I recently experienced the latter.

A Song for Annika started out when ...
  8. Progress

...but not on the tune front.

I've assumed some more responsibilities at work, and have taken up a hobby small business (to fund MAS of course!), and have been picking somewhat intermittently as a result over the past month and a half. I've returned with more dedication in recent days, and my newly set up mandolin has been playing so nicely that I realized today I wasn't thinking about how much better a thinner neck would be. I was just enjoying the tunes.
    Categories
    Song projects
  9. April 1 Changes to Classifieds

A few additional changes to the Classifieds effective 1 that has been referenced many places and times on the site.

1) We will do away with the distinction between "New" and "Used" instruments. This has become meaningless in our opinion. New instruments come directly from builders or retailers, and it's their responsibility to identify themselves as such. The vast majority of these are used so a separate category is not warranted.

2) Trades can occur between different ...
  10. mandolin volume without amplification

Does anyone out there have any ideas,on how to increase volume, on an Eastman 505 without amplification?
    Categories
    Uncategorized