View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. 11-20 - Things You Didn't Know About the Mandolin Cafe

Didn't lose you last time? Let's try harder. We had fun in a previous post presenting some tips and tricks to navigate this site more effectively, but let's get a little more involved.

11. Search the Mandolin Cafe from your browser's default search bar, from anywhere on the web.

Proof we wilfully engage in stupid web tricks.

Example: observe the screen shots of Microsoft's Internet Explorer and FireFox below, the two most widely used browsers on the ...

Updated Aug-06-2010 at 11:33am by Scott Tichenor

Categories
    Mandolin Cafe Site Information
  2. 10 Things You Probably Don't Know About The Mandolin Cafe

... and may not care about after reading them all.

1. OK, first, let me get this off my chest. It's..

Mandolin Cafe
    not
    Mandolin Café

The acute accent at the end of Café might look good if you're a French restaurant, but this place is a diner. Customers here put their elbows on the table, belch, wear their ballcaps and wipe their hands on their jeans. Just like I do. Now, I like a fine 6-course, one-seating dinner where the menu is selected ...
  3. RMI oh my!

Sorry for no more camp posts. I started getting pain in my shoulder. I suspect my problem may be a repetitive motion issue from too much heavy typing with an old style keyboard.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 1st Day of Class

Having Gerald as an instructor was as much fun as I thought it would be. We did a lot of work on arpegios in the morning an chord melody basics in the afternoon.

There are a lot of great players here. I listen to the jams and I feel I could play in most of them - that's a big change from my first visit here. I even know I do some things better. I being careful of my shoulder coming off of the RMI problem. I'm keeping this short for the same reason.

Went to the slow ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Instructor Change

At orientation tonight I learned we have an instructor change for mandolin. Gerald Jones is going to teach instead of Nate Lee. Nate is a great player but so is Gerald and Gerald is a much more seasoned veteran player and teacher.

Everybody's favorite vocal teacher Dede Wyland has had another brush with the big C. The prognosis is good but she just finished chemo and the docs said she should not travel. The delightful Chris Sanders is subbing for her.

The irrepressible ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Well that didn't work too well...

Seems I got all busy and forgot to write the report. Well no use crying over spilt milk. I'm back at Camp Bluegrass - 2010.

I brought a Netbook with me to see how it works...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. No Mandolin Cafe interviews for July

We tried. In spite of having five different interviews in the works (with clear communication and requested deadlines), it appears there won't be one in July. You can't do an interview without answers, and you can't expect working musicians and business owners to drop everything to work on your project.

Not the end of the world, and quite frankly, July is just about the slowest time of year for the Mandolin Cafe visitors. For working musicians, it's the busiest time of the year and ...
  8. New Video Posted: Wounded Knee

Howdy to all on Mando-land,
    I have a new video up on my Youtube Channel which I will embed here to save the trouble of clicking a link.

This is the second in the ongoing series of songs being recorded at Fran Guidry's Digital Duck Studios in Walnut Creek, CA.

The Song is called Wounded Knee. It about the massacre of several hundred Lakota Soiux at the hands of the 7th Cavalry in December 1890. The story is told from the first person perspective of a fictional ...

Updated Jan-08-2022 at 5:05pm by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
    Recording Sessions
  9. Six munths aggo I koundn't speel profissional-now I am won

I started building mandolins in July of 2007 without any experience in wood working but with a 30 year old dream of building.

I purchased an F5 copy from a local luthier in 1981 and was able to watch the process as he completed the instrument and from that time on I have, in the back of my mind, wanted to build.

I spent 29 years in the National Guard and of course like most of us worked full time all my life so time was not available to pursue a new hobby. I also played ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. A Little Bender on the Fender

Just dropping a note to say that I gigged last night (Thursday June 17, 2010) as an electric mandolin player for the first time in at least half a year. What a gas! The gig was another of my series of lobby appearances. (Always the bridesmaid/lobby, never the bride/theater.) This one with Señor of Señor Circus. He was Señor I was this Circus last night.

Playing through the tunes, I was flying around moderate tempo rock/pop tunes with the happiest of ease on my 8 string Fender ...