View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. In Praise of Reading... a Book

Amidst a couple hundred orders of Mandolin Cafe ball caps, for which I am grateful--after all, I don't want these living in my house the rest of my life--having an angry minor take out a Facebook presence for the Cafe (unauthorized, against my wish), and people asking whether posting an image on the Cafe is identical to emailing it to someone (answer: No), its been a very long week. I'm reminded there is solace in a good book, and that's where I'm headed.

And this morning I found ...

Updated Mar-15-2009 at 3:07pm by Scott Tichenor

Categories
    General Mandolin Comments
  2. Out of Our Depth

Last Saturday, March 7, 2009, I took a couple of friends to see Eric Skye perform at a house concert in san Francisco. Skye is unique among Jazz guitarists in that he employs flat top guitars rather than archtops or amplified instruments. In fact he endorses Santa Cruz Guitar Company instruments, and plays absolutely amazing Rosewood 00 with East Indian back and sides and a slotted headstock. But I digress.

I met Skye online on another forum, purchased his CDs, and have been ...
    Categories
    Acoustic Adventures
  3. SKYPE lessons with John McGann now available

by , Mar-12-2009 at 12:20pm (Johnny McGann's Random Musical Allsorts)
    SKYPE lessons with John McGann now available!

Skype (free software at http://www.skype.com) lessons available for anyone with a fast internet connection.

Now anyone worldwide has an opportunity to meet face to face with Berklee professor John McGann
    (bio at http://www.johnmcgann.com/bio.html).

Lesson content is usually student driven, based on your interests. This is a wonderful way to address technical issues such as

* right and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Playing 8 String Electric

In terms of technique, playing an 8 string solid body electric is pretty much the same as playing a 4 string solid body electric. Except you don't bend notes.

Having 8 strings makes the tone more mandolinistic and less guitaristic [to invent a couple of words]. So I've been playing material I usually reserve for my Vessel F5, just to hear it come through an amp. And I've added songs to my mandolin repertoire, because I am crazy enough to stomp on some effects boxes too.
  5. New Mandocaster Arrives

I posted a couple of pics here
    And wrote a review here

Both are on the Café Message Board.

Daniel
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. SteelDrivers!

I must tell you that the self titled release from The SteelDrivers, is well worth the grammy nod. Its a Bluegrass album with a dash of Honky tonk. and I must say, its headed for the ages. Every song is a winner. Plus, SteelDrivers put on a great show, and are not to be missed if at all possible!
    My new favorite group, that is for sure....just for their sheer musicality...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. MandoGeek Trivia #2

rekx successfully sussed the maker.
    Anyone for a guess at the model?

Updated Mar-02-2009 at 6:19pm by Daniel Nestlerode

Categories
    Electric Explorations
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FenderMando2.jpg 
Views:	679 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	55641  
  8. head for banjo-lin

I have a bruno banjo lin I need a head for. It's 7in. in dia. and 3/4 inch high. Where can i get one. It has a mounted one on it that is ripped. Can you buy one some where.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. MandoGeek Trivia

Hi folks,
    Hey all you mando-geeks! Can you identify the instrument from this picture?

Updated Mar-01-2009 at 5:59pm by Daniel Nestlerode

Categories
    Electric Explorations
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	closeup1.jpg 
Views:	674 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	55640  
  10. MAS attack!

By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.
    Open, locks,
    Whoever knocks!

Especially if it's the FedEx driver!

(MacBeth Scene 4, Act 1)

More on this in a week. I hope I can stand it!

Daniel
    Categories
    Uncategorized