View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Little Known But Useful Message Board Features

A lot of useful features found on the Cafe's message board are simple never used.

How can well tell? Because many of these features share a common web address, and what each user sees is dependent upon their member login. We simply search the usage of those web addresses and we quickly see those that are rarely accessed. To be fair though, a lot of people may have no use for these, but unless they know, they certainly will never make use of them.

We thought it would ...
  2. one more try to post an mp3

3. Why won't sound file's post?

This is annoying.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Another test

5. Test

6. Fun Group Project

Over on the guitar discussion board I moderate, http://santacruzguitarplayers.com, I started a group project. I supplied the basic tracks of a song (percussion, guitar, voice) I had written and demo'd with GarageBand on my Mac. I asked the folks on the board if they might contribute some lead instrument ideas.

I was having difficulty getting a lead instrument track down on a demo for a song I had written, called "Big Valley." The idea arose from realizing I could ask ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Some to thank

I'm sittin' in Big Springs, NE with only a pinch of Internet signal strength. Everything loads soooo slow, like dial-up. It gives one time to think as the process unwinds.

There are four Cafe members, I know I'll leave out a bunch, that I'd like to thank for one reason or another:

1: Mike Edgerton. I've learned the hard way that I am a very poor judgment of quality and price of old beater mandolins. I can e-mail Mike and get his opinion of a particular instrument. ...

Updated Sep-17-2009 at 6:54pm by gregjones (fumble fingers, I type like I play!!!)

Categories
    Ramblings
  8. Remembering Bill Monroe

Doyle Lawson was recently quoted saying, "I'm hearing Bill Monroe's name mentioned less and less these days, and I don't want to see that happen. He's the reason I play bluegrass and I wanted to do something to put Bill's name back out front."

The quote came in regard to a marvelous cut entitled Monroe's Mandolin from Lawson's new Lonely Street recording, and a fine cut it is.

Is Bill Monroe fading from our collective memories?

We hope not, so as we approach ...

Updated Jan-04-2010 at 11:03am by Scott Tichenor

Categories
    Mandolin Cafe Site Information
  9. Northern Departure!!

Hello All,

I've got a new project making headwaves across the Puget Sound region and beyond! The groups name is: Northern Departure. ds

The band in comprised of members: Derek Gray - Bass/Vox. Austin McGregor - Banjo/Vox. Nick Dumas - Mandolin/Fiddle/L Vox. Chris Luquette - Guitar/Mandolin/Vox

You can find Northern Departure on Facebook, search Fan Pages. MySpace: WWW.MYSPACE.COM/NORTHERNDEPARTURE

Here is a recent ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. A Strawberry Music Festival Mandolin Preview

The Strawberry Music Festival held at Camp Mather, near Yosemite National Park in California, runs for 4 days around both Memorial Day and Labor Day. Thursday (9/4/09) marks the beginning of the Strawberry's fall festival.

This fall festival line up is an exciting one for me. It's heavy, as usual, on roots music featuring a lot of folks I've never heard --or even heard of! So I'll be soaking up new (to me) music almost all weekend.

But the mandolin players, as far ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized