View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Television and Radio commercials!!

Hello everyone!
    Recently Chris sat in with local band Hillbilly Highway in order to record a song for Race horse track Emerald Downs to use as an advertisement!
    It is currently airing on local television and radio, so keep your eyes and ears peeled!
    The song is "Break My Stride"
    You can visit: http://www.emeralddowns.com/?cat=6&id=1807&type=news and hear all 4 versions!
    www.​myspace.​com/​tangograss Facebook, search: Chris Luquette
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Song for Annika - My Best Gig... Ever

There are musical events that are meaningful, gigs that are prestigious and build a musical resume, or those that are just plain fun that you'll remember the rest of your life. Then there's that moment that is an entirely different level and one that many musicians might not ever have the opportunity to experience. I recently experienced the latter.

A Song for Annika started out when ...
  3. Progress

...but not on the tune front.

I've assumed some more responsibilities at work, and have taken up a hobby small business (to fund MAS of course!), and have been picking somewhat intermittently as a result over the past month and a half. I've returned with more dedication in recent days, and my newly set up mandolin has been playing so nicely that I realized today I wasn't thinking about how much better a thinner neck would be. I was just enjoying the tunes.
    Categories
    Song projects
  4. April 1 Changes to Classifieds

A few additional changes to the Classifieds effective 1 that has been referenced many places and times on the site.

1) We will do away with the distinction between "New" and "Used" instruments. This has become meaningless in our opinion. New instruments come directly from builders or retailers, and it's their responsibility to identify themselves as such. The vast majority of these are used so a separate category is not warranted.

2) Trades can occur between different ...
  5. mandolin volume without amplification

Does anyone out there have any ideas,on how to increase volume, on an Eastman 505 without amplification?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Left Hand Movement Conservation

I found many of the posts in a recent message board thread on this topic to be very helpful and have created a document containing many of them for easier reference. It's attached as a pdf file. Thanks to everyone who shared their tips!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Left Hand Movement Conservation.pdf  
  7. I'm with Sam on this one...

Here's our leading candidate for the silliest below-the-belt comment we've seen on the web in some time.

"Due to recent issues involving filming schedules, and a high risk assessment of civil disorder at the venue caused by some fans of Sam Bush who are upset that he removed himself from the line-up, The Bluegrass Hotel concert & festival is being re-scheduled for a fall 2009 concert to coincide with the broadcast of the film on PBS Television and the release of a DVD and Coffee Table
  8. The Jams Before the Show

Friday #1
    This is a regular Friday afternoon thing. John and Ken come over and we just play. The line up is mandolin (we all three play it), guitar (Ken and I play it (John used to --claims a '68 Gibson SG in a closet somewhere that he has not touched in more than 10 years --what a tease!)) and fiddle (John plays it).

John loves Texas Swing, Ragtime tunes, and old timey tunes. So I've been learning things like "Pig Ankle Rag," "Chinese Breakdown," and ...

Updated Mar-22-2009 at 9:12pm by Daniel Nestlerode

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. An Embarrassment of Riches

Lots of music this weekend!

• Friday Lunch Jam starts around 1pm and we go until a little after 2.
    • Zero Visibility String Band practice tonight from 7:30 to 10 or so...
    • Señor (of Señor Circus) is holding an electric jam on Sat afternoon
    • Saturday from 3 to 5 is the new regular jam at Ingram & Braun here in Modesto CA

• Andy Statman is performing on Sunday afternoon at Congregation Beth Shalom here in Modesto as well!

A mandolirius ...
    Categories
    Acoustic Adventures
  10. "Get in the van. Pray to God."

So after a gentle evening of acoustic ear-ticklings with Clifton at the Cellar Door in Downers Grove, we retired to "the basement" to gather our effects to begin the (soon to be epic) saga of THE BIG RED TRICYCLE!
    Our gear was packed and loaded in an unusually haphazard manner... (Folkstringer being a neurotic tetris-packing yet somehow spacially challenged coalition that we are) we piled into our VERY recently acquired Ford Club Wagon CHATEAU... whew, that sure sounds fancy! and ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized