View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Mandolin Mondays #373 w/ Special Guest Jess Iaquinto

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by Fireside Collective mandolinist Jesse Iaquinto from Asheville, NC, playing an original tune called "Dazy in the Garden" played on his Duff F5 mandolin.

Jesse Iaquinto is the mandolinist, lead vocalist and founding member of Asheville, North Carolina bluegrass band “Fireside Collective”. Originally classically trained on piano, Iaquinto fell in love ...
  2. Carl Jones and Erynn Marshall Online Classes starts Feb 26, 2023

by , Feb-20-2023 at 10:43am (Carl Jones Mandolin Workshop: Concert Window Jan 6, 1 PM EST)
    Where does a song or tune come from? That is a bit of a mystery which we all discover in different ways. Feel free to join me in my songwriting online classes (starting Feb 26 April 9… 2 - 3 pm Eastern Standard Time) where we will spark each other into songdom and unravel a bit of life’s mysteries along the way. Or you can get some mando insights
    Tuesdays Feb 28 - Apr 4, Mando-mazing! (Carl) 7:30pm-8:30pm EST. Always more to learn and to uncover about new ways to look at things you already ...
  3. Mandolin Mondays #373 w/ Special Guest Scott Liebers

This week on Mandolin Mondays we're joined by mandolin luthier and player Scott Liebers from Minnesota playing an original tune called "Sawdust in the Frying Pan" on his very first octave mandolin build.

Scott became a mandolin player via violin and guitar from an early age. "Mandolin seemed like the logical next step," he says. He was a recording engineer for Minnesota Public Radio for 10 years and spent ...
  4. Jacob do Bandolim's Love at First Sight

Name:  elisa2.jpg
Views: 2863
Size:  46.6 KB

I am very happy to announce that I will be sharing my love for Choro here on the Mandolin Cafe. I will do my best to tell you all a little bit of the history of Choro music, the bandolim, and bandolim players here. It couldn’t be a better day to begin, since we celebrate both Valentine's Day and Jacob do Bandolim's birthday this week!

With that in mind, I thought it would be a good idea to tell you a story about Jacob do Bandolim and his "love ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Guitar ads in Classifieds halted effective immediately

UPDATED FEBRUARY 19: the following supersedes the information posted below. Effective immediately, ALL new guitar ads are being halted. Further, ALL guitar ads will be removed along with the Guitar category from this site will no longer appear effective 5:00 p.m. February 28. Existing Guitar Accessory ads will be moved into the general Accessories category.

Effective immediately, the Mandolin Cafe is discontinuing new/used guitar listings in our Classifieds unless those postings are ...

Updated Feb-19-2023 at 8:46am by Mandolin Cafe

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Mandolin Mondays #371 w/ Special Guest Caleb Edwards

Returning to Mandolin Mondays this week, we're joined by mandolinist Caleb Edwards playing and singing this Elizabeth Cotten classic "Freight Train" on his 2017 Northfield Big Mon Mandolin.

Caleb Christopher Edwards mixes his folksy tenor, ringing melodies, and melodic poetry in a glass to toast as an earthy, American cocktail. Lyrics of hope, doubt, and wonder ground his songs like muddled sugar while his swift, ...

Updated Feb-18-2023 at 11:18am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Mandolin Mondays #370 w/ Special Guest Korey Brodsky

Back on Mandolin Mondays this week, we have Mile Twelve mandolinist Korey Brodsky with us playing a beautiful rendition of "Moonlight in Vermont" by Karl Suessdorf and John Blackburn, performed on Korey's J. Brentrup mandolin.

Korey Brodsky is a Boston-based mandolinist and guitarist. Growing up in Connecticut, he built strong roots in bluegrass music. Since then, his musical explorations have ranged from old time ...