View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Mandolin Mondays #260 w/ Special Guest Bobby Osborne

To close another year of Mandolin Mondays videos, we have the incomparable Bobby Osborne with us to share his mandolin version of the Merle Travis number "Goodbye My Bluebell" played on his legendary 1925 Gibson F5 Fern.

Bobby is one of the most accomplished mandolin players alive today! His pioneering work with The Osborne Brothers paved the way for the early generations of bluegrass music. ...
  2. Mandolin Mondays #259 w/ Special Guest Sarah Jarosz

This week on Mandolin Mondays we have a very special guest! Grammy-winning artist Sarah Jarosz is with us to play a beautiful solo rendition of her composition "Peace" on her 1975 black top A-style Nugget mandolin--just one serial number away from Tim O'Brien's.

Sarah is a mandolinist who needs no introduction. Through her stunning solo recordings and her work with power house group I'm With ...
  3. Our New Shop

We are settled in our new place and temporary shop. Bruce is accepting tune ups, repairs, customizations again! We also are accepting MAC Instruments to sell for you (we have two great ones on our website, now).
    The Christmas season isn't usually the time you want to mess with this sort of thing, but I suddenly realized I hadn't posted here yet! If you have any questions or topics don't hesitate to email or give Bruce a call.

Here's hoping you have a very Merry Christmas ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BearTracksinfrontofShop.jpg 
Views:	588 
Size:	542.0 KB 
ID:	190578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldBarnFutureShop.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	615.3 KB 
ID:	190579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temp Shop.jpg 
Views:	612 
Size:	858.9 KB 
ID:	190580  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	View from Shop.jpg 
Views:	571 
Size:	279.6 KB 
ID:	190581  
  4. Mandolin Mondays #258 w/ Special Guest Calum McIlroy

Check out Calum McIlroy from Glasgow, Scotland playing a beautiful piece composed by Hugh Campbell, and played on a lovely 2018 Taran Springwell mandolin, built by Rory Dowling in Fife.

Calum McIlroy is a multi-instrumentalist and singer from Aberdeenshire in the North East of Scotland. He began playing the guitar at a young age and by the time he left school he had discovered a passion for folk music, and a new-found interest ...
  5. Mandolin Mondays #257 w/ Special Guest Emma Borders

This week on Mandolin Mondays, Emma Borders brings us a stunning interpretive performance of the Gigue from Bach's Dm Violin Partita played on her Weber Bridger Octave Mandolin.

At fifteen, Emma is more musically accomplished than most adults, and she performs on a wide range of instruments: mandolin, octave mandolin, classical violin and fiddle. Add to this her soaring vocal prowess, and the artistry ...
  6. Ostrander Instrument Inquiry

Came across this site. Old posts from a few members asking for info on Ostrander mandolin & violins from 1880’s. I am a descendant & have an E. Ostrander 1885 viola. Anyone looking for Ostrander info can contact me here.
    Tags: ostrander
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Need help identifying 1920s Banjolin

So I recently found this old vintage unmarked banjolin on eBay. I’ve been digging everywhere across the internet just to try and figure out who made it, but I can’t find anything concrete. I have managed to find another one on reverb that looks just like it, but it is also a John Doe. However the person who listed the other one seems to think it might be a Favilla Brothers banjolin. I don’t think they’re FAB banjolins. After doing more digging and extensive research, I finally ran across Oscar Schmidt’s ...