View RSS Feed

Most Popular Blogs

1. Mandolin Mondays w/ Special Guest Nathan Livers

Mandolinist for Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper Nathan Livers joins us on Mandolin Mondays for a killer cross-tuned version of this old-time classic. Hear that Vessel mandolin sing!

Originally from Louisville, Kentucky, Nathan Livers now makes his home in Charlestown, Indiana. He has played in such bands as The ‘Get Down’ Bluegrass Boys, Charlie Lawson & Oak Hill, Gary Brewer & the Kentucky Ramblers, Tony Holt ...
  2. Mandolin Mondays w/ Special Guest Greg Pauza

This week on #mandolinmondays, check out Greg Pauza of the Tenderbellies play this brooding original composition on this self-made, custom electric mandolin.

Greg is a Burlington-based mandolinist. He plays with The Tenderbellies--a string band that seamlessly blends Americana, bluegrass, new grass, jazz and rock to create a performance suitable for any audience. Additionally, he is known for his collaborations with other ...
  3. Mandolin Mondays #256 w/ Special Guest Dylan McCarthy

This week on Mandolin Mondays we've got 2019 RockGrass Mandolin Champ Dylan McCarthy from Lyons, Colorado with us to play a beautiful original tune played on his amazing 2019 San Juan F5 #70.

With nearly 20 years experience playing and performing, Dylan's musical background is deep and diverse. He hit a turning point at 18 with his decision to attend Berklee College of Music in Boston, MA in 2012 ...

Updated Dec-06-2020 at 11:15pm by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Mandolin Mondays #265 w/ Special Guest Dagger Gordon

All the way from the Scottish Highlands, Dagger Gordon joins us this week on Mandolin Mondays to play a lovely tune on his powerful 10 string Sobell mandolin.

From the town of Invergordon, about an hour north of Loch Ness, Dagger Gordon is perhaps the main torchbearer for traditional Scottish music on our instrument. He is not only a perceptive and rooted player, but he is also a great mandolin educator. Dagger is the author ...
  5. Mandolin Mondays #346 /// "Shady Grove"

This new Octolindo octave mandolin from KR Strings has helped bring some new life to a bunch of old tunes I play like this classic bluegrass number "Shady Grove." Hope you folks enjoy!

For folks interested, I'm playing with the tuning GDAD down tuned a half step and capoed up one fret--a trick I've picked up from some tenor banjo players who do this for a slightly smaller scale length and tonal nuance.

Updated Aug-22-2022 at 7:25am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Musical Instruments and CITES

Importing, Exporting or Travelling with Musical Instruments: What you need to know about CITES regulations

Musical instruments frequently contain parts made from endangered or threatened species of plants and animals. Some of the most common examples include:

Elephant Ivory: Used for nuts and saddles on guitars, tuning pegs, bowed instrument and bagpipe fittings and also for inlays. This is an Appendix I species in which all international trade is strictly controlled. ...
  7. Mandolin Mondays #45 - Waltzing Matilda

Excited to introduce you guys to my new friend from Apitius Mandolins based in Ontario, Canada. So happy to be on Oliver Apitius's artist team! My new Vanguard F5 Model is only a few weeks old and it already sounds so open and responsive. Putting it through the paces with my pseudo-fingerstyle guitar arrangement of this Australian classic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	064_David.jpg 
Views:	885 
Size:	461.0 KB 
ID:	151006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	067_David.jpg 
Views:	921 
Size:	477.4 KB 
ID:	151007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	074_David.jpg 
Views:	901 
Size:	344.2 KB 
ID:	151008 ...

Updated Jun-01-2020 at 4:46am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Mandolin Mondays #111 w/ Special Guest Kym Warner

This week on Mandolin Mondays, Kym Warner mandolinist of The Green Cards and Robert Earl Keen stops by for a stellar medley played on his 2004 Engelmann top Collings MT2-V.

Originally from Australia, Kym Warner has left a large mark on the worldwide bluegrass scene with his immaculate playing and prolific work. Tough most well known for his work with the progressive bluegrass band The Green Cards, Kym has toured extensively ...
  9. Mandolin Mondays #331 w/ Special Guest Tom Wright

This week on Mandolin Mondays we have 10 string mandolin player Tom Wright with us, carving up a fun medley of "Big Yellow Taxi" and "La Bamba" on his Thomas Buchanan mandolin.

Tom grew up in Washington, D.C. listening to classical music and studying violin. The creative explosion of the sixties caught his ear and he learned guitar and the songs of the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, James Brown, Frank Zappa, and ...
  10. Mandolin Mondays #69 w/ Special Guest Tristan Scroggins

Tristan Scroggins is with us this week for a solo mandolin rendition of a Bela Fleck tune on his power house Stellings S-5 mandolin.

Based in the mid-west, Tristan is one of the leading young, creative voices on the mandolin today. He plays full time with the prolific Jeff Scroggins & Colorado band—they have been called one of the hardest working bluegrass bands on the scene. And when he’s not too busy touring, Tristan ...