View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Reader survey

What would you all like to read in a mandolin blog?

Equipment
    • Electric?
    • Acoustic?

Experiences
    • Jamming?
    • Performing?
    • Recording?

Players
    • Mandolin only?
    • Guitar too?

Builders
    • Amateur?
    • Professional?

Reviews
    • Instruments?
    • Strings?
    • Accessories?
    • Recordings?

I'm looking for inspiration. I can ...

Updated Nov-14-2009 at 1:57pm by Daniel Nestlerode

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. My Ten Favorite All Time Albums

This is a little rainy day blogging...

Whether I'm playing my iPod in the Chiropractor's office, using the CD player in the car, or listening at home, all of these albums (collections of songs) remain in heavy rotation.

Interestingly, to me at least, these are not at all mando-centric. In fact, only Butch B gets a nod as recording artist. Looks like I'll need to examine these albums against the context of my mandolin playing and see where that takes me. Maybe this ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Downs and Ups

Went into the studio for most of the day on October 9. In retrospect it feels like a waste of $150.00. But Things improved a little more than a week later...

I arrived at the studio on Friday hopeful of getting at least two songs in the can under the watchful eye of a professional engineer using some good mics. But I ended up with two lousy tracks I don't feel I can use.

The problems stemmed from lack of preparation and equipment failure. I figured I could walk ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Supporting Kansas Public Radio's Folk and Acoustic Music!

Kansas Public Radio has launched their fall membership drive and I'll be lending a hand for KPR's longtime support of acoustic music including bluegrass, folk, celtic, old-time and more. And yes, much of that music is mandolin rich in content.

If you listen to public radio and appreciate what it offers, please consider making a pledge when I'm on the air encouraging your fellow KPR listeners to become KPR members.

Tune into KPR's Trail Mix on Sunday, October 18 from ...
  5. Software That Predicts The Hits. That's Just Wrong!

A software program may have picked the next hit song coming from your radio, and you may have no choice in the matter.

Before we discuss further, let's get one thing straight: I neither listen to, have much interest in, nor play music that will ever qualify as "hit" material. If you happen to, power to you.

Then why does this broadcast about software that predicts "hits" that appeared on NPR a few days ago boil my blood? Maybe it's because it takes something that I ...
  6. Little Known But Useful Message Board Features

A lot of useful features found on the Cafe's message board are simple never used.

How can well tell? Because many of these features share a common web address, and what each user sees is dependent upon their member login. We simply search the usage of those web addresses and we quickly see those that are rarely accessed. To be fair though, a lot of people may have no use for these, but unless they know, they certainly will never make use of them.

We thought it would ...
  7. one more try to post an mp3

8. Why won't sound file's post?

This is annoying.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Another test

10. Test