View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Shipping an Instrument?

I insure my mandolins with a policy from Heritage Insurance, a company that actually *knows* what a mandolin is, and is engaged in the business of insuring instruments like Loars and high-priced violins, guitars and other acoustic instruments along with lesser valued instruments (such as my own).

I once had the unfortunate experience of having to go toe-to-toe with FedEx on a $10K instrument that arrived at it's destination with a crushed in face that required about $700 of work and ...
  2. Our Money Where Our Mouth Is

inline imageWhen you're dining here on bits and bites of mandolin info, we'd like you to know we help make a lot of mandolin activity happen outside of this web site as well.

Last year we announced the Cafe's financial sponsorship of a special evening concert and workshops featuring John Reischman and Butch Waller and John's band The Jaybirds connecting the California Bluegrass Association Music Camp and Father's Day Festival.

3. A review of the Gary Vessel "Monteleone"

Damn.
    I played Gary Vessel's tribute to Monteleone today. It was hard to put down.

Visuals:
    The maple back has a great looking tiger stripe figure to it, and Gary bookmatched the grain so that the stripes climb from the end pin to the neck joint.

The two piece cedar top is equally beautiful with a straight grain and a pumpkin color.

Gary just used clear lacquer to finish the mandolin, preserving the beauty of the woods. He says it would ...
    Categories
    Acoustic Adventures
  4. Collecting instruments & MAS

I have been a blogger for some years already, mandolincafe member since the late 90s and because I do love to play mandos from time to time I comment on mando related subjects at festivalpo, so now I decided to write something it intrigues myself at this new feature of the mandolincafe...
    For many years I have been playing small plectrum instruments plus some woodwinds... and along the way I have been trading , ...

Updated Apr-21-2009 at 1:17pm by lucho (addition)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Question on pick hand position

As a beginning player, is it considered proper pick hand position to lightly rest the heel of the pick hand on or slightly behind the bridge? Does this deaden the sound any? I have a difficult time keeping position relative to the strings unless I contact the bridge lightly. Many thanks.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Music choice drops bluegrass channel

[i]as of april 15th the mc has dropped both the bluegrass and americana[/venues]. I know i spent a lot of time watching the bluegrass channel as i got to hear all bg from the old to the latest releases. I senta blog to mc, but if any of you who will be missing these channels, i suggest that it will take a lot of complaints to get the bg back. So if you're a listener,,get that complaint to them asap!! It's musicchoice.com/channellineup
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Farnum Family at Silver Dollar City!!!

I'm new to this blogging thing, but here goes.

The Farnum Family is going to be performing at Silver Dollar City next month for the Bluegrass & BBQ festival,
    For the Silver Dollar City's Third Annual National Single Mic Championship http://festivals.bransonsilverdollar...?id=10&pid=191 on May 16th & 17th, and the KSMU Youth in Bluegrass Band Contest http://festivals.bransonsilverdollar...n/?id=10&pid=7 on may 23rd & 24th, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. From the beginning

As I type this, I have not been playing mandolin for a week.

I started playing acoustic guitar in 1990. I am self taught and have always been a casual, recreational player, lending myself mainly to strumming and singing. There was a brief period in university (about 1 year) when I went without a guitar because I sold it for money to buy food.

My first guitar was an entry level Washburn, and after the break, I picked up a ###### Texarkana from a pawn shop. I made ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 11.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	55643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 14.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	55644  
  9. Catching Up

Just to catch you up...

I did see the insanely good Andy Statman that Sunday afternoon (3/23/09). He is, in a word, amazing. Go see him. Buy his CD. You haven't lived right until you've heard him roll through chromatic versions of "Rawhide," "Turkey in the Straw," and "Back Up & Push" that were surely making Big Mon squirm uncomfortably in his grave. Indeed, the old cabin home on the hill itself might have been creaking in musical discomfort ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Oh Well..........

Take my work for it, sittin' off the interstate in Portageville, Mo on Easter Sunday with a crack in the block running from below the cylinder head to as far as you can see is no way to save up to buy a new mando.

600hp Cat Rebuild=$18,000

Very Nice Mandolin=$18,000

Maybe it's time to retire.
    Categories
    Uncategorized