View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. SteelDrivers!

I must tell you that the self titled release from The SteelDrivers, is well worth the grammy nod. Its a Bluegrass album with a dash of Honky tonk. and I must say, its headed for the ages. Every song is a winner. Plus, SteelDrivers put on a great show, and are not to be missed if at all possible!
    My new favorite group, that is for sure....just for their sheer musicality...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. MandoGeek Trivia #2

rekx successfully sussed the maker.
    Anyone for a guess at the model?

Updated Mar-02-2009 at 6:19pm by Daniel Nestlerode

Categories
    Electric Explorations
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FenderMando2.jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	55641  
  3. head for banjo-lin

I have a bruno banjo lin I need a head for. It's 7in. in dia. and 3/4 inch high. Where can i get one. It has a mounted one on it that is ripped. Can you buy one some where.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. MandoGeek Trivia

Hi folks,
    Hey all you mando-geeks! Can you identify the instrument from this picture?

Updated Mar-01-2009 at 5:59pm by Daniel Nestlerode

Categories
    Electric Explorations
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	closeup1.jpg 
Views:	666 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	55640  
  5. MAS attack!

By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes.
    Open, locks,
    Whoever knocks!

Especially if it's the FedEx driver!

(MacBeth Scene 4, Act 1)

More on this in a week. I hope I can stand it!

Daniel
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Getting Attention (redux)

So last night I posted after getting home from the gig. It was late and my thoughts were a little less connected than usual, though they were fresh.

More about the second set...
    Lots of material in Em and D. I am very comfortable in those keys on the mandola, which is essentially what the Mando(la)bird is. It's the same as playing in Bm and A on a mandolin. If you can play a lead part to "Bury Me Beneath the Willow" on a mandolin, then you can play in D on a mandola. ...
    Categories
    Gigging
  7. CMM Quarterly Magazine Features Instrument Builders

We received an email from Mark Boucher who is with the magazine CMM Quarterly. CMM's current issue deals with musical instrument building, and in this special issue, our readers will recognize some familiar names:

Dave Smith, Smith Creek Mandolins
    Greg Deering, Deering Banjos
    Jeffery Elliott, Elliott Guitars
    Greg Byers, Byers Guitars
    Jonathan Hiller, interesting article on composite graphics vs. wood
    JEM magazine, article about Luis and Clark composite ...

Updated Feb-22-2009 at 9:32pm by Scott Tichenor

Categories
    General Mandolin Comments
  8. Getting Attention

So Scott's figured out how to get comments on his blog: Post pics of a Mandolin Cafe baseball/golf cap.

On the gigging front...
    Tonight was just a duo gig. I backed up my buddy Tim, a singer/songwriter. Mandolin all night long for me. I mostly played my beloved Vessel F5, but the Mando(la)bird came out too.

It is pretty amazing how much people dig the Mandobird. Though, really, what's not to like? It's small, sparkly gold, and I make some pretty cool ...
    Categories
    Gigging
  9. Mandolin Cafe Ball Cap

Received our first sample of a ball cap we're having made for the Cafe. We like it. Will order a few to give away to some friends and possibly some to sell as well. Web address will be on the back.

10. Classifieds Bulging? Or Not? Part II

Hate to say we told ya so, but we told ya so.

Right on cue, the observation that the Classifieds had gone wild (we LOVED that title!) once again resurfaced. Nothing against the person that made the observation, and this is not about picking on them.

Get over it.

Its about this same conversation that gets repeated over and over and over .

Around the time that discussion was started there was a high of about 410 ads in the Classifieds. ...