View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Mandolin Mondays #242 w/ The Foreign Landers

Here's something a little different this week for Mandolin Mondays. During lockdown, my wife Tabitha and I have been working on some new music together and we just announced the start of a new transatlantic folk duo called The Foreign Landers. Here's the debut of our first single--a song from the great John Hartford--and a music video filmed here in Northern Ireland.

The single is ...
  2. Mandolin Mondays #241 w/ Special Guest Baron Collins-Hill

Perhaps the most well known online mandolin educator around the world, the MandoLessons man himself, Baron Collins-Hill joins us this week on Mandolin Mondays for spin on this classic tune, played on his well-seasoned Ellis A Style mandolin.

Baron grew up playing the mandolin in Maine and graduated from Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts with a degree in music performance and ethnomusicology. Now he teaches and performs ...

Updated Aug-18-2020 at 9:28am by dbmandolin

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Help on a tune

I really like and want to learn to play The Drunken Saylor. It's a beautiful tune. This is not the tune commonly found under that title. Here is a link to the score. I'm having trouble getting it down and could use some help through a video lesson. Any suggestions are most welcome. Thank you.
    Tim

Song music/tabs:
    file:///C:/Users/t100m/Google%20Drive/Family%2012.14.19/Music/2019%20onward/The%20Drunken%20Saylor/drunken_sailor_mandolin_tabs.pdf

Octave ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Mandolin Mondays #240 w/ Special Guest Baptiste Cardineau

Meet Baptiste Cardineau, an impressive, up-and-coming mandolinist based in Montreal, Quebec. He plays and sings with The Red Chair Snappers, and he's a great tune writer to boot. Here's an original tune of Baptiste's played on his sweet Turkey Creek A-Style mandolin.

Baptiste Cardineau is a 21 year old originally from Boulder, Colorado. He now plays mandolin and sings in the Montreal-based bluegrass band the Red Chair Snappers. ...
  5. Mandolin Mondays #239 w/ Special Guest Daniel Coolik

The amazing jazz mandolinist Daniel Coolik of The Revelers stops by Mandolin Mondays this week to share a gorgeous take on this old Tin Pan Alley standard played on his personally modified Kalamazoo electric mandolin.

A consummate musician’s musician, Daniel Coolik, originally from Atlanta, Georgia, swept into the Lafayette, LA scene in 2009 and quickly added his name to many respectable rosters, loaning ...
  6. Mandolin Mondays #238 w/ Special Guest Danilo Brito

Brazilian mandolin and Choro master Danilo Brito, brings us an incredibly special performance of Luperce Miranda's virtuosic composition "Quando me Lembro" played on Danilo's Brazilian made mandolin for this week's Mandolin Mondays.

Danilo Brito is a Brazilian mandolinist and composer whose international recognition lies on his extraordinary musical skills, on his unique ability to inspire emotion and on his outstanding ...
  7. One more

This second one is a cover of Vulfpeck's Lonely Town.

8. A couple new mandolin solo things.

I've been trying to learn how to play upright bass a bit. My technique needs a lot of work but I just finished up working on these two mandolin/clarinet/guitar heavy arrangements.

This first one is a cover from a Larry Goldings record that I wanted to learn the hammond organ for. My good friend John Posey plays a wonderful guitar solo on this one.

9. Mandolin Mondays #237 w/ Special Guest Jacob Matthess

UK mandolinist and master illustrator Jacob Matthess joins us this week on Mandolin Mondays for an impressive take on Andy Irvine with this Irish medley played on Jacob's powerful Krishot F5 Fern built by Eduard Kristufek in 2002.

Jacob grew up in Northern Ireland and the States, but now lives in Glasgow, Scotland while finishing his university degree. He is not only an incredible musician but has become ...
  10. Mandolin Mondays #236 w/ Special Guest Zachary Alvis

Mandolinist with bluegrass gospel group Chosen Road, Zachary Alvis joins us on Mandolin Mondays this week for a classic fiddle tune played on his sweet Aleyas LF-5 built by Lee Chapman.

Zach is a founding member of the band Chosen Road which has been going strong for the past 10 years. Recently, they were nominated for IMEA’s “Album of the Year” and “Gospel Band of the Year” and were also on the ballot ...