• New Music - Happy Valley, by Wyatt Ellis

Wyatt Ellis

Wyatt Ellis has announced a February 2 release of his first solo album entitled Happy Valley, a collection of 12 original and co-written instrumental tunes. On the album, produced by Justin Moses, Wyatt is joined on the recording by a dozen different top flight bluegrass and newgrass mandolin players.

The album, named for a holler near his home in East Tennessee, was recorded at Happy Valley Road, a homestead once owned by Grand Ole Opry member Grandpa Jones and his wife Ramona outside of Nashville.

The tunes, written or co-written when Wyatt was still 12 (now 14), are the work of seasoned professional already playing well beyond his age and who has already received critical acclaim that includes appearances on the Grand Ole Opry.

Listen

From the recording, the track "Grassy Cove," co-written with Sierra Hull.

Intro: Wyatt Ellis: Mandolin (lead), Sierra Hull Mandolin (harmony)
    Wyatt Ellis: Mandolin solo 1
    Deanie Richardson: Fiddle
    Sierra Hull: Mandolin solo 2
    Cory Walker: Banjo
    Wyatt Ellis: Mandolin solo 3
    Outro: Wyatt Ellis: Mandolin (lead), Sierra Hull: Mandolin (harmony)
    Justin Moses: Guitar
    Mike Bub: Bass

Track Listing

• Blue Smoke feat. Marty Stuart
    • Happy Valley feat. Dominick Leslie
    • Grassy Cove feat. Sierra Hull
    • Get Lost feat. Jake Workman
    • Little Pigeon feat. Scott Napier
    • Johnson Mtn Blues feat. David McLaughlin
    • Sandy Gap feat. Mike Compton
    • Goiní to Townsend feat. Alan Bibey
    • Two Rivers feat. Danny Roberts
    • Wildwood feat. Lauren Price Napier
    • Whites Creek feat. Christopher Henry
    • Maryville feat. David Harvey

Additional Information

Comments 3 Comments
      Old Dog Dave -
      I'm excited about the upcoming release of his debut solo album. This young man is a mandolin marvel and it is so refreshing to see so many young artists like Wyatt embracing traditional music while keeping the styles (and lyrics) contemporary. I guess that using "traditional" and "contemporary" in the same sentence is an oxymoron, but the fact is that many of these young folks understand and represent the influence of the greats like Bill Monroe in a contemporary setting. Another great example of this "traditional"/"contemporary" confluence would be the songs of Andrew Marlin. Anyway, great job, Wyatt!!! Us old-timers really appreciate your excellence and commitment to the music!!
      Boom/Chuck-it -
      Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog Dave View Post
      I'm excited about the upcoming release of his debut solo album. This young man is a mandolin marvel and it is so refreshing to see so many young artists like Wyatt embracing traditional music while keeping the styles (and lyrics) contemporary. I guess that using "traditional" and "contemporary" in the same sentence is an oxymoron, but the fact is that many of these young folks understand and represent the influence of the greats like Bill Monroe in a contemporary setting. Another great example of this "traditional"/"contemporary" confluence would be the songs of Andrew Marlin. Anyway, great job, Wyatt!!! Us old-timers really appreciate your excellence and commitment to the music!!
      The future looks bright for Bluegrass!
      Plus, any post that mentions Andrew Marlin deserves some type of reply.
      Cheryl Watson -
      I am in awe of all of these gifted players. I am enjoying following Wyatt's career and believe that we are witnessing who will become one of the greatest mandolin players of all time, developing his skill and musical expression very rapidly. I am looking forward to the release of "Happy Day."