• Breedlove to Outsource Mandolin Production

Manufacturing of Breedlove Mandolins, a part of the Two Old Hippes brand, will be moving overseas the Mandolin Cafe has learned. In a recent announcement Breedlove's mandolin team learned the entire line would be outsourced in the near future.

Breedlove's Cross-Over Series mandolin line has been manufactured overseas for some time. Labelled "Designed in USA, made in China," it is not known at this time but assumed all Breedlove Mandolins will be manufactured at the same facility.

The Mandolin Cafe reached out to Breedlove via email this morning for confirmation on what was an internal announcement but has not yet received a reply.

Two Old Hippies of Bend, Oregon is made up of Bedell Guitars, Breedlove Guitars and Mandolins (purchased 2010) and Weber Instruments (purchased 2012). The company also operates a flagship lifestyle store that opened in Nashville, Tenn. in 2011.

Additional information

Comments 30 Comments
      Seattle -
      I don't think it makes any difference where they are made. The company still designs them, provides the specs, and is still in charge of quality control. There shouldn't be any difference.

If a few workers are laid off for economic reasons (and they may not be) that's no different that any other worker laid off for economic reasons even if it has nothing to do with Chinese labor. Not much is currently manufactured in the U.S. (compared to historic levels). This is just change and we all have to embrace that whether we like it or not.
      multidon -
      No matter where they are produced, unless they change their design elements, one thing that won't change is traditionalists routinely dismissing them as no part of nothin' with them funny looking so called scrolls, head stocks, and f holes.
      Scott Tichenor -
      Breedlove released their official public statement on the matter at 5:00 a.m. today. Here it is.
      MikeEdgerton -
      I own one of their import guitars (Made in Korea if I recall). It's not the same as their domestics builds but it's decent and it was inexpensive and it works for what I use it for. I'm ok with this decision as long as the name doesn't end up on one of these. That's where I draw the line.
      colorado_al -
      Press release makes it sound as though they are discontinuing their current product line-up and replacing it with other designs. Pricing sounds pretty good at MSRP below $1000 for the entire line. I guess we'll just have to see how they sound compared to similarly priced Eastman and Kentucky. I wonder what elements of the Bend OR Breedloves will remain in the Chinese produced models?
      As I said at the top, looks like my 2001 Breedlove Quartz KF just went up in value again.
      Clement Barrera-Ng -
      I also got the same impression that the old line up will be phased out and replaced by a new line up that specifically targets the 'cross over' musician crowd. I guess that's a niche that hasn't been thoroughly targeted in the past and one that Breedlove is going after by leveraging their brand reputation in the guitar world.
      lloving -
      It had to be the plan when 2 Old Hippies acquired/merged with Weber. They have now expanded their price points across what is surely a relatively small market. Look for entry level Webers to be made offshore in the future.
      colorado_al -
      Quote Originally Posted by lloving View Post
      It had to be the plan when 2 Old Hippies acquired/merged with Weber. They have now expanded their price points across what is surely a relatively small market. Look for entry level Webers to be made offshore in the future.
      I'm thinking the same thing. Breedloves will top out at $1000. That leaves a gap between Breedlove and Weber of about $1000. My bet is a $1500 Chinese Weber will make an entrance in a year or so.
      George R. Lane -
      Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
      I'm thinking the same thing. Breedloves will top out at $1000. That leaves a gap between Breedlove and Weber of about $1000. My bet is a $1500 Chinese Weber will make an entrance in a year or so.
      Read post #20 by the man himself, Bruce Weber. It should answer your question.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-Weber-be-next
      Darren Bailey -
      When "local" people lose work it's a factor in our thinking (if indeed this happens to them) but as for quality - I am a fan of Kentucky and Northfield mandolins and they could have been made on the moon for all I care. I think it's a good thing that Americans are so attached and proud of things US made, but as a British person US made is as overseas as China - I just want the best mandolin I can get with my limited funds regardless of whose hands did the cutting. If the move guarantees the future of one of the mandolin producers in what are difficult times for many companies then good luck to them.