• Double Stops and Modes for Mandolin

Double Stops and Modes for Mandolin

Petaluma, Calif. — Chris Carney has announced the release of his self-published instructional book Double Stops and Modes for Mandolin, available exclusively for purchase from his web site.

Asked about the concept behind the book Carney told us, "The idea was given to me by a student that wanted to learn more about double stops. I wasn't able to locate what I wanted and felt that maybe there wasn't a book like this.

"I wanted to offer a reference for mandolin players (and fiddlers, although you don't usually see tab in fiddle music) to use for learning the positions of the double stops on the fretboard (fingerboard). There's nothing quite like that sound. No exercises or soloing ideas are included in the book. That's up to you and your teacher."

"These techniques are great tools for improvisation, reading or learning written music, and all around instrumental skill."

Contents

• Double stops in C
    • Double stops in G
    • Double stops in D
    • Double stops in A
    • Double stops in E
    • Double stops in B
    • Double stops in F#
    • Double stops in F
    • Double stops in Bb
    • Double stops in Eb
    • Modes (Ionian, Mixolydian, Dorian, Aeolian) in C
    • Modes (Ionian, Mixolydian, Dorian, Aeolian) in G
    • Modes (Ionian, Mixolydian, Dorian, Aeolian) in D
    • Modes (Ionian, Mixolydian, Dorian, Aeolian) in A
    • Modes (Ionian, Mixolydian, Dorian, Aeolian) in E
    • Modes (Ionian, Mixolydian, Dorian, Aeolian) in B
    • Modes (Ionian, Mixolydian, Dorian, Aeolian) in F#
    • Modes (Ionian, Mixolydian, Dorian, Aeolian) in F
    • Modes (Ionian, Mixolydian, Dorian, Aeolian) in Bb
    • Modes (Ionian, Mixolydian, Dorian, Aeolian) in Eb
    • Harmonic Minor Scales C, G, D, A
    • Harmonic Minor Scales B, F#, F, Bb
    • Harmonic Minor Scales E, Eb

Additional Information

Comments 1 Comment
      DougC -
      Some of the best material out there is made by non-professionals. Chris does have a degree in music but it seems that he wanted to write down this double stop stuff, which is useful in all kinds of music. And he did the world a favor!
      (I wrote out one double stop chord progression in C major and was just starting on modal 'double stops'. So he saved me a ton of work.) Thanks Chris.

His website is really basic and you need to click on the underlined link to see pictures of the book pages. It works very well with Pay Pal however. ($16) I bought the book quite easily.