• 1st Annual Southwest Mandolin Camp Announced

Southwest Mandolin Camp Staff

Kingston, N.M. — Desert Nights Acoustic Music Camps has announced the opening of registration for the 1st Annual Southwest Mandolin Camp for November 1-3 at the historic Black Range Lodge.

Camp director Steve Smith (mandolin, octave mandolin), Marla Fibish (Celtic mandolin), Tim May (Old-time mandolin) and Jordan Ramsey (Mandolin) will welcome players of all levels from beginner to pro for a fun-filled learning experience to expand mandolin horizons.

Topics and styles covered will include bluegrass, Celtic, old-time, cross-picking, swing and jazz. Classes are "hands on" including special demonstrations and lectures. Open evening jams, faculty performances and outstanding hospitality by the historic Black Range Lodge on the eastern border of the Gila Wilderness make the camp an exciting learning experience for mandolin enthusiasts of all levels.

Camp tuition is $335.

Camp Director Steve Smith told us, "After organizing a number of camps over the years and attending many more as an instructor I'm really proud and excited to host this first annual Southwest Mandolin Camp! I'm equally excited to partner with three friends, each a brilliant mandolin player and instructor, uniquely qualified, to make this happen. The unparalleled beauty of the Gila National Forest and the historic Black Range Lodge where we'll host the camp makes this a unique destination few other camps in the U.S. can boast. Plus, easy access from El Paso and Albuquerque make the camp accessible to anyone in the U.S. and beyond!"

About Historic Black Range Lodge

Nestled in the foothills of the Gila National Forest, the historic Black Range Lodge is a step into the old West with original brick construction dating to the 1880s when the Lodge housed miners and cavalry. Its massive stone walls and log-beamed ceilings were built during the 1930s. The Lodge offers easy access to its wild, natural beauty. A short walk in the clean air takes you along a creek, into the shade of tall Ponderosa pines.

Centrally located in southwestern New Mexico, Kingston is an easy day trip to Spaceport America, Elephant Butte and Caballo Lakes, the hot springs of Truth or Consequences, White Sands, Las Cruces and old Mesilla.

Historic Black Range Lodge
    Historic Black Range Lodge

Additional Information

Comments 1 Comment
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Steve Smith just told me that Tom Ellis will be in attendance at this year's camp. Guessing, though I didn't confirm, that he will be on hand to assist in some set-up work possibly and hopefully have a few new creations along from both the Ellis and Pava line.