• C.J. Lewandowski Talks Early Gibson Fern History - Part 2

CJ Lewandowski is back again, to tell us the story behind his Gibson F5 #85202. The set-up and prep work included 2 luthiers, parts from several community members, and even a visit to a chiropractor! You can hear all the particulars he's gone through to get this great piece of history ship-shape and stage-ready. In the latter half of the video you can hear the results for yourself as he plays some licks on this barking bluegrass cannon that has been nicknamed "The Hulk."

Dan BeimbornAbout the author: Dan Beimborn is the host of the Mandolin Archive and Chief Linux mommy for the Mandolin Cafe's dedicated web server. He also plays Irish and American music on all sorts of vintage Gibson mandolins, a modern F5, a resonator tenor guitar, a 1909 Gibson F-4 Torch and Wire, and a Sobell bouzouki. Sometimes known to stay on a canal barge close to London, he also calls a village near Norwich, England home. He shares a house with his wife, son, and dog Henry. Weekdays see him working on highly technical Linux solutions for a multi-national hedge fund.

Additional Information

Comments 14 Comments
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Thanks for another great, informational video, C.J. and Dan!
      William Smith -
      Great talk/demo CJ. I knew you'd be extremely thrilled to get that beauty! I'm happy I could help by pointing her your way. Enjoy, as I know you will. I can't wait to hear it in your band setting and maybe I'll be able to strum a chord or two on her someday. Happy Picking.
      Darryl Wolfe -
      nice
      sgarrity -
      What a cool story and a killer sounding F5!
      Phil Goodson -
      Very cool story.

Anyone have the link to the first 'McClanahan Mandolin Chronicles' page? (mentioned in the video)
      I can't seem to find it.
      Don Grieser -
      Cool story. Great detective work on the truss rod. Enjoy that fine mandolin.
      Mandolin Architect -
      Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
      Cool story. Great detective work on the truss rod. Enjoy that fine mandolin.
      Hey Don, thank you for asking about Mandolin Chronicles. I'm editing all of the footage on CJs mandolin now and will be uploading the full length version on YouTube real soon. You can see my work o CJs Fern though on my Facebook page. Under my name Jonathan McClanahan.
      Timbofood -
      I just looked at the video on the “Fern” at Elderly, “WOW!” If I was looking, I make a trip over there right now!
      William Smith -
      Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
      I just looked at the video on the “Fern” at Elderly, “WOW!” If I was looking, I make a trip over there right now!
      Yes that Fern is special! it has an FON# like some of the early 1925's I think so that's an early outstanding sounding example!
      imstrider -
      Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
      Very cool story.

Anyone have the link to the first 'McClanahan Mandolin Chronicles' page? (mentioned in the video)
      I can't seem to find it.
      Here is what I found after a bit of searching...
      https://www.youtube.com/user/jonboymcclanahan1/videos
      johnhgayjr -
      Love the mando and your playing - nice...

John Gay
      Memphis
      Tim W -
      Thanks for the mention CJ! Can't wait to get my mits on that thing.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Noting the anniversary of this feature.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Noting the anniversary of this feature.