• Guess the Mandolin Dawg is Playing, Win $100 Gift Certificate to Acoustic Disc

Win $100 gift certificate to Acoustic Disc by identify what mandolins David Grisman plays on his new recording.
    Dawg Trio Plays Tunes & Sings Songs

Starting Tuesday, Nov. 5, 7:30 a.m. Central visitors to the Mandolin Cafe will have the opportunity to stream all of David Grisman's mandolin solos from the new recording David Grisman's Dawg Trio Plays Tunes & Sings Songs, and decide which mandolin he plays on each cut through a web form submission similar to the Cafe's previous Giveaways.

The individual that guesses all tracks correctly or comes closest will win a $100 gift certificate to Acoustic Disc. In the case of a tie in correct guesses a random drawing will select a single winner. The giveaway ends 7:30 a.m. Nov. 19 at 7:30 a.m. with correct answers provided for all to see in the comments section of this article.

No purchase is necessary and the contest is open to all visitors of the Mandolin Cafe.

Dawg Trio Plays Tunes & Sings Songs is a collaboration between David Grisman, multi-instrumentalist, singer and songwriter Danny Barnes and Samson Grisman on bass.

Their debut recording features nine brand new Dawg compositions and three original songs by Barnes, recorded live in Grisman's Dawg Studios. This unique ensemble displays an incredibly wide range of styles, from swing to bluegrass and old time to Dawg.

Track Listing

• Intro
    • Spud Boy
    • Old Timey Art
    • Little Bitty Town
    • Dawg On A String
    • Big Blue
    • No End Of Love
    • Blue Dawg
    • Lobster Rolls
    • Money Moves Up
    • Funky Plunky
    • Zaydeh's Waltz
    • Super Grits
    • Razzle Dazzle
    • It's A Long Long Way to The Top

Listen

From the recording, the track "Razzle Dazzle."

Additional Information

Comments 21 Comments
      William Smith -
      Great but I hope with David we get a list to choose from as I know he has a herd of great mandolins! Sounds like one of those Italian G mandolins I can't pronounce on "Razzle Dazzle"
      Dagger Gordon -
      It's great to hear him still playing so well, and so unmistakenly Dawg.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Three mandolins were used on the recording. Next to each streaming track there'll be the list of the three and you can select which one it is prior to submission.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Registration is now open!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/giveaway/
      Drew Egerton -
      very cool idea, thanks Dawg and the Cafe!
      Put in my guesses, but I have to say it was very difficult to choose on some of them. Some I felt confident, but they all sound great!
      Gunnar -
      Would it be possible to at the end tell us what we guessed on each tune compared to the real answer? I'd love to see that info as an educational curiosity
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
      Would it be possible to at the end tell us what we guessed on each tune compared to the real answer? I'd love to see that info as an educational curiosity
      Within reason, sure, I'd be happy to. If 200 people asked I'd probably balk but I don't think that will happen. Probably best to contact me using the Contact form at the bottom of every Cafe page if you do so. I work better through email than PM. I don't think a lot of people are going to enter this just because it is actually a lot of effort to listen to them all.
      Drew Streip -
      Quote Originally Posted by Drew Egerton View Post
      very cool idea, thanks Dawg and the Cafe!
      Put in my guesses, but I have to say it was very difficult to choose on some of them. Some I felt confident, but they all sound great!
      I used an astute combo of careful listening, comparing against known recordings (Tone Poems) and blatant guesses. I'm thinking I got 3/10 on purpose and maybe a few more by accident.
      Don Grieser -
      I think I got the tracks with the oval. Telling the difference between Crusher and the Fern might as well have been a coin flip.
      Gunnar -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
      Within reason, sure, I'd be happy to. If 200 people asked I'd probably balk but I don't think that will happen. Probably best to contact me using the Contact form at the bottom of every Cafe page if you do so. I work better through email than PM. I don't think a lot of people are going to enter this just because it is actually a lot of effort to listen to them all.
      Ok thanks, should I email you now or when the winner is announced?
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
      Ok thanks, should I email you now or when the winner is announced?
      I don't have the answers, I'm not going to ask David for them before the contest ends, and if I did I wouldn't be giving them out in advance of the end the contest. Make sense? I hand out answers to anyone I'd be having a lot of unhappy campers. No good deed goes unpunished on the internet.
      Gunnar -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
      I don't have the answers, I'm not going to ask David for them before the contest ends, and if I did I wouldn't be giving them out in advance of the end the contest. Make sense? I hand out answers to anyone I'd be having a lot of unhappy campers. No good deed goes unpunished on the internet.
      Ah yes. I shall email you promptly when the contest ends (unless I forget...)
      Mandolin Cafe -
      The guessing is over. Here are the answers straight from the Dawg's mouth:

Spud Boy - Fern
      Old Timey Art - Fern
      Little Bitty Town - Gilchrist
      Dawg On A String - Gilchrist
      Big Blue - Fern
      No End of Love - Fern
      Blue Dawg - Fern
      Lobster Rolls - Fern
      Money Moves Up - Gilchrist
      Funky Plunky - Gilchrist
      Zeydah’s Waltz - Crusher
      Super Grits - Gilchrist
      Razzle Dazzle - Fern
      It’s A Long, Long Way - Fern

I'm tied up this morning but will try to get a winner announced before noon Central Time.
      Simon DS -
      That seems like the order that I dreamed about, can someone still win the competition if the results were part of a dream?
      -just to make it fair?
      What sort of reality are we talking about here?
      Drew Egerton -
      wow, only Crusher on one tune ok... I might have gotten a few right but not many.
      grassrootphilosopher -
      I was soooooo incredibly wrong... except the Gilchrist tracks (which were easy).

I honed my ears on the Acoustic Disc records as to how DG sounds on either Loar or Fern (and also on his Giacomel, that sounds entirely different). But I never would have guessed that the distinction between Loar and Fern would really be a coin flip.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      This is turning into an interesting sorting problem but I've only worked about 5 minutes on it. I can say with certainly that not a single person got them all correct. In fact, only 4 out of the total 118 entries guessed the first first songs correctly, not surprising.
      Gunnar -
      Well, I got them mostly wrong. I guessed a few Ferns right and a couple of Gils, but all by random chance
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Drum roll...

We have a winner. The average score was between 5 or 6 correct guesses out of 14 songs. A number of folks got 7, three got 8. I was really impressed when someone got 9, but Kurt Gisclair was the clear winner guessing 10 out of 14 correct. Well done!

In case anyone wonders, no one missed them all but at least 4 folks got only 1 correct.

This was a very difficult test, probably too difficult to be a contest of sorts but no one got hurt! Anyone that wants to know their answers to compare is welcome to contact us using the Contact form at the bottom of any page on the entire Cafe. Thanks for playing.
      CarlM -
      This was a very difficult test, probably too difficult to be a contest of sorts but no one got hurt!
      It was a great contest and a lot of fun. Many thanks to you and to David.