• Registration Opens for 7th Annual Monroe Mandolin Camp

7th Annual Monroe Mandolin Camp

Monteagle, Tenn. — Registration opens today for the 7th annual Monroe Mandolin Camp, September 16-20, 2020 at the Dubose Conference Center.

The 2020 camp offers classes in all the quintessential bluegrass band instruments with up-close and personal instruction by bluegrass legends, special presentations, new Master Class offerings, daily jamming opportunities and more. On-site accommodations and meals are available.

The Monroe Mandolin Camp began as a tribute to Bill Monroe's music and originally focused solely on mandolin. As part of the overall vision and strategic plan, MMC coordinators Mike Compton and Heidi Herzog have expanded that mission to encompass all of the elements and instruments of bluegrass music, to preserve and pass down the roots of Monroe's singular style to young and new musicians, and to build a community of support and appreciation for his music that will continue to influence bluegrass music going forward.

Early Bird Registration: receive $50 off the full camp price by registering January 1-31!

For 2020, MMC offers over 100 classes in mandolin, fiddle, banjo, bass and guitar taught by today's leading masters as well as past Bluegrass Boys. Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced level classes mean there is something for players of every ability level. New Master Classes this year include Band Dynamics and Harmony Singing. Norman and Nancy Blake will host a round table discussion of bluegrass history. Luthiers Will Kimble, Paul Duff and Lynn Dudenbostel are on-site to discuss the mechanics and art of building and to offer practical help with instruments. Jamming opportunities abound, and life-long connections are made.

Thanks to special fundraisers and generous sponsors, several scholarships are available this year. Visit the camp web site for information about youth, women’s and video scholarship competitions. An apprenticeship for those pursuing a career in teaching bluegrass music is also offered.

Instructors

• Mandolin: Mike Compton, Alan Bibey, Casey Campbell, Sharon Gilchrist, John Keith, Mark Royal, Adam Tanner
    • Banjo: Richard Bailey. Alan O'Bryant
    • Fiddle: Laura Orshaw
    • Guitar: Kathy Kallick
    • Bass: Cary Black
    • Luthiers: Paul Duff, Will Kimble, Lynn Dudenbostel
    • Special Guests: Norman and Nancy Blake
    • Rhythm Hoss and Boss: Raymond Huffmaster, Mississippi Chris Sharp

Additional Information

Comments 8 Comments
      MISTAHCOUGHDROP -
      Well, I might have to get on a plane and get to this! It's a ways from Paris, but hmm.
      Don Grieser -
      I went for the first time last year. I'll be going back every year I can make it. Great teachers and a wonderful group of students. So much fun and so inspiring. There's people from all over the world there. You'd be warmly welcomed by everyone.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      This is an exceptionally well run camp. Yes, the Cafe is a sponsor in saying that, but we are not compensated in any fashion. I'm just on board with what they're doing so happy to help promote the event. Mike and Heidi have made this their life's work and it shows. I keep hearing about all the surprises showing up at The Station Inn when they have their night there. Stars aplenty arriving to either sit in or be in the audience. It's the place to be in the Fall if you're into bluegrass.
      Don Grieser -
      Yes, the instructor performance at the Station Inn before camp was worth going just for that. Ricky Skaggs sat in with the house band for a whole set in 2019. Carolina Blue showed up and played a few and various members sat in also. That was a treat. Mike Bub was running sound. A tremendous kickoff to the best camp I've attended.

Thanks for supporting this, Scott.
      bigskygirl -
      Dang, I have got to find a way to fit this camp in my calendar! It sounds great!
      oliverkollar -
      I'm IN!!! I look forward to meeting some of you there!
      Don Grieser -
      Looking forward to meeting you and picking at Monroe Camp, Oliver! You'll have a great time.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      The in-person camp has been cancelled according to the web site but changed to a virtual online experience, much like so many other events.