• William Lawson Wins Monroe Mandolin Camp Video Scholarship Competition

William Lawson wins the 2020 MonManCamp Mandolin Video Scholarship Competition
    William Lawson Wins Monroe Mandolin Camp Video Scholarship Competition

NASHVILLE, TENN. — William Lawson, a 12 year-old homeschooled 6th grader from Webb, Iowa has been named the winner of the 7th Annual Monroe Mandolin Camp Mandolin Video Scholarship Competition. The winning submission was the instrumental "Pocahontas." William will receive a full tuition scholarship to attend the September 16-20 camp.

Lawson told us: "This camp means a lot to me. I'm interested in learning about the style of Bill Monroe's music because he is truly an American Legend. I feel like I have gotten a lot of support in my music from the great people I met at MonManCamp last year. They have really encouraged me to play better and to keep growing musically. I have stayed in contact with many of my new friends throughout the year &mdashp; it's not just a camp — it's a community. The teachers at MonManCamp are the best in music today. My goals for attending camp are to work on my timing, improve my singing, make new friends, encourage other players, learn more Monroe tunes, and tremolo."

The competition was open to players of all ages and playing levels and submissions were received over a two week period. This year's judging panel included Lauren Price of the Price Sisters, Timmy Jones of Carolina Blue, Lynn Dudenbostel of Dudenbostel Stringed Instruments, Casey Campbell of many bands including Ricky Skaggs, Vickie Vaughn Band, Del McCoury Band, and John Keith with Melvin Goins of the Goins Brothers. The Video Scholarship Competitions are made available by our generous sponsors including Carter Vintage Guitars, Gilchrist Mandolin & Guitars, The Violin Shop, Gruhn Guitars, and Dudenbostel Stringed Instruments. Banjo, fiddle, and guitar scholarship competitions starting in March and April respectively.

About the Monroe Mandolin Camp

The Monroe Mandolin Camp is a multi-discipline bluegrass music camp that preserves, promotes, and educates traditional bluegrass enthusiasts on the music of Bill Monroe. Over the past seven years, the camp has expanded its mission to encompass all of the elements and instruments of bluegrass music, to preserve and pass down the roots of Bill Monroe's and his Bluegrass Boys singular styles to young and new musicians, and to build a community of support and appreciation for his music that will continue to influence bluegrass music going forward.

Comments 4 Comments
      Don Grieser -
      Congratulations William! Great playing! I remember you from MonCamp last year. Looking forward to seeing at MonCamp again this year.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Indeed, nice playing, William.

I have an idea William is soon to leave the rest of us in the dust!
      Mark Seale -
      Nicely done!
      oliverkollar -
      Fantastic!!!!

Congratulations William!