• KR Strings Introduces the Mandolindo

Introducing the "Mandolindo," a new sound from KR Strings.

The MandoLindo

KAILUA, HAWAII — Luthier Kilin Reece, the founder of KR Strings and creator of the Pono line of octave mandolins and ukuleles has introduced his latest creation, the Mandolindo, a four-stringed guitar bodied instrument with a mandolin scale that will have a list price in the neighborhood of $2K depending on tonewoods and sunburst or natural finish.

The brand is slated to launch in June with retail representation in the U.S. to include Elderly Instruments, The Mandolin Store, Denver Folklore Center and Dusty Strings. A web site for the new line is currently in the works.

About the new design, Reece told us: "As difficult as the last year has been, I know many of us under isolation and with a bit more time on our hands have finally gotten around to ideas that have been percolating for years. The design of this instrument has been kicking around in the back of my mind for a few decades. Finally working over the last year with my violin making partner Yam Uri Raz we got it off of the drawing board and into our hands and we are excited to share it with the Mandolin Cafe community!

"We are going to be offering our Mandolindo in Spruce with either Rosewood or Mahogany back and sides (Curly Maple back and sides with Italian Spruce custom shop models featuring carved tops with F-holes are in the works… ), 13.875” scale, radiused fingerboard, linear graduated tops with X bracing, premium ebony and bone appointments and a (familiar on the belly feeling) arched Mandolin back radius. These will be landing at most of my favorite dealers showrooms by mid-summer 2021."

Additional Information

Comments 37 Comments
      mrmando -
      Never seen Tiny Moore with a Mandocaster, but this looks like a cool axe regardless.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Here's the first one in retail. Kilin told me a few are filtering out but not sure how many. It's at Denver Folklore Center/

https://www.denverfolklore.com/shop/...-x54162775.htm

Attachment 193230
      Randi Gormley -
      My first thought is it would be a natural crossover for guitar players who want to dip a foot in mandolin but not have to concentrate on mandolin technique. it gives them a place to play with string bending and finger-picking, depending on how tightly it's strung. an interesting concept and I'd think better than restringing a uke for easing beginners into the instrument. It'll be interesting to see whether it'll replace something already out there or find its own niche.
      Andyesquire -
      Very intrigued. And I think this instrument definitely could be great in a gypsy jazz context. 2 questions for the cafe hive mind.

1. Why no truss rod in the neck?

2. How would one add a pickup to a Mandolindo?
      KR Strings -
      Quote Originally Posted by Andyesquire View Post
      Very intrigued. And I think this instrument definitely could be great in a gypsy jazz context. 2 questions for the cafe hive mind.

1. Why no truss rod in the neck?

2. How would one add a pickup to a Mandolindo?
      Aloha Andy,

Thanks for your feedback, I totally agree this would be a great gypsy jazz instrument. The ability to bend notes makes it really fun. To answer your questions, 1. These will have a double acting truss rod accessible through the sound hole with an allen wrench. 2. Any standard under saddle pickup will work, and adding a internal transducer such as a K&K is also no problem.

Thanks and feel free to get in touch at krstrings@gmail.com if you want to take a test drive, these will be arriving in June!

Best, -Kilin Reece

-"Less is Four."
      Mandolin Cafe -
      The one at Denver Folklore sold the first hour it was on there.
      KR Strings -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
      The one at Denver Folklore sold the first hour it was on there.
      Elderly and Mandolin Store will be posting prototypes soon! Going fast....

Thanks!
      KR Strings -
      Here is Justin Branum of https://masterfiddle.com/ tearing it up Western Swing style on the new Mandolindo!

https://youtu.be/fUhstUAsrNg

For more information please visit www.krstrings.com!

Aloha! -Kilin Reece
      Jerchap2 -
      I am not sure I understand the difference between a Mandolindo and a baritone Uke strung in fifths, GDAE...
      Jim Garber -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jerchap2 View Post
      I am not sure I understand the difference between a Mandolindo and a baritone Uke strung in fifths, GDAE...
      mandolin scale length, four strings. Baritone Uke has a much longer scale, usually 19”.
      John Kelly -
      Quote Originally Posted by KR Strings View Post
      Here is Justin Branum of https://masterfiddle.com/ tearing it up Western Swing style on the new Mandolindo!

https://youtu.be/fUhstUAsrNg

For more information please visit www.krstrings.com!
      Aloha! -Kilin Reece
      Great sound from that instrument! That recording by Justin reminds me very much of the early recordings Les Paul was making when he was experimenting with his multi-tracking on guitar.
      Jerchap2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
      mandolin scale length, four strings. Baritone Uke has a much longer scale, usually 19”.
      OK, then a soprano or concert uke. I am just not understanding how this instrument is different from a comparable scale length ukulele with four strings tuned to GDAE. They certainly look the same. There must be some difference that I am not understanding.

- - - Updated - - -

The baritone uke could be an octave version.
      Jim Garber -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jerchap2 View Post
      OK, then a soprano or concert uke. I am just not understanding how this instrument is different from a comparable scale length ukulele with four strings tuned to GDAE. They certainly look the same. There must be some difference that I am not understanding.

- - - Updated - - -

The baritone uke could be an octave version.
      Uses mandolin (metal) strings so will sound different from a uke even tuned to GDAE. Nothing wrong with ukes and this may not be earth-shattering but it is somewhat different from what is out there. If you prefer the uke tuned to mandolin that is fine.
      Jerchap2 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
      Uses mandolin (metal) strings so will sound different from a uke even tuned to GDAE. Nothing wrong with ukes and this may not be earth-shattering but it is somewhat different from what is out there. If you prefer the uke tuned to mandolin that is fine.
      Thanks, that is helpful.
      Tom Haywood -
      NFI. Just very impressed. Recently, I went to a picking party that was mostly all acoustic, outside, sitting in a circle, with about a dozen very good players from the ATL area. A wide variety of music styles was played. I noticed right away that the lady who usually plays violin was playing a different instrument, and she was playing beautiful sounding melodies on her breaks for every song no matter the style. She appeared to play softly, but her melodies could be heard clearly over several Martin guitars, 2 basses, a mandolin, an octave mandolin, a banjo, a flute, etc. The sound was very distinctive - not like a ukulele and not like a mandolin. Come to find out it was a mandolindo.
      Bill McCall -
      Interesting that the website has only a description of each model but no specifications. It would be useful to have the basic dimensions listed. Most other luthier sites have copious amounts of information regarding the specifications.
      Melt_in_the_Sun -
      Elderly has the info you're looking for:
      https://www.elderly.com/products/kr-...39820931498175