• New Music by John Goodin - Telemann: Menuets for Two Mandolins

John Goodin  -Telemann: Menuets for Two Mandolins

Decorah, IATelemann: Menuets for Two Mandolins is the title of a new self-published recording by John Goodin, released May 1 on Bandcamp.

From the album notes, Goodin writes: According to Steven Zohn in his book Music for a Mixed Taste: Style, Genre, and Meaning in Telemann's Instrumental Works, (Oxford University Press, 2008), the menuets in this collection were first published by the composer in Hamburg in 1728 under the title Sept fois sept et un menuet, and most likely were issued to subscribers in groups of seven throughout the year. The music was intended for the enjoyment of an audience of amateur musicians and, to my ears, the tunes still sound fresh today.

"While only a combined score with melody lines in the treble clef and figured bass has survived, an advertisement from the time suggests that either part may have been available on its own. The 19 arrangements recorded here were created primarily by raising the bass line into the treble clef, creating a part playable by mandolin, violin or any other instrument capable of reaching the G below middle C. I changed the key of a few pieces and took some liberties with the octave placement of notes in the bass lines when I felt it better served the two mandolin sound."

Listen

From the recording, Menuet no. 42.

Track Listing

• Menuet no. 1 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 3 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 14 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 17 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 18 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 19 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 20 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 23 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 24 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 25 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 27 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 30 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 38 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 40 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 42 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 44 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 47 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 49 for Two Mandolins
    • Menuet no. 50 for Two Mandolins

Additional Information

Comments 3 Comments
      John Goodin -
      I should mention that the sheet music for these Menuets has long been freely available from my Mandotopia website. Here's the link to the pdf book containing all 50 Menuets, arranged for two mandolins: http://www.mandotopia.com/Telemann/50duos.pdf

These recent recordings do not match the book note for note. I changed a few notes in the second mandolin part for a few of the pieces to suit my taste as I recorded them. I also changed the key of a couple of the menuets. But, mostly, the recordings are from the book.

I also have a freely available pdf book of the just the melodies of these Menuets. They all sound fine with just the melody. That link is: http://www.mandotopia.com/Telemann/50solo.pdf

John G.
      Brian Ebie -
      John, Thank you for this great recording! The sample sounds great and I appreciate the link to your arrangements.
      Michael Romkey -
      Very nice! Downloading now. Would love to meet you, as a fellow Iowa mandolin enthusiast. Cheers!