• New Music from Andrew Hendryx - Widening Circles

Andrew Hendryx - Widening Circles

Andrew Hendryx has announced the release of Widening Circles, a follow-up to his 2019 sold recording Deep River.

Named after a Rainer Maria Rilka poem, Widening Circles features an all-star cast of musicians including Andrew Altman (Railroad Earth), Bobby Britt (Town Mountain), Darby Wolf (Rubblebucket, Alan Evans), Dave Butler (Guster) and Bill Carbone (Max Creek).

About the recording Hendryx told us, "My musical world was really expanding at the time. I was leaving a band and felt it was time to dig deep and really make something personal. Once I wrote the songs I rented a studio in an old church, gathered a handful of my favorite players and got to work.

"The hardest part was figuring out how I wanted to end the recording so I sat on the masters for a long, long time before it hit me. I had been raised going to the historic Griswold Inn in Essex, CT and attending the Monday night Sea Shanties concerts. I'd always loved how the house band The Jovial Crew ended a raucous evening of drinking and singing with the ballad "Going Home Song." I asked Cliff Haslam and Tim Marth to come sing the melody and Matt Zeiner and Dave Butler and I improvised a soundscape under it.

On the recording, Hendryx uses his Collings MF5, 1924 Gibson F4, Duff F5, Mando Blaster, Steve Ryder EM 5 and Don Alain Signature 5-String.

Listen

From the album, the title track "Widening Circles."

Track Listing

• Deep River Breakdown
    • Widening Circles
    • Shovel
    • 2nd Avenue
    • Things Left Behind
    • Timbro
    • A Storm
    • Going Home Song

Additional Information

Andrew Hendryx
    Comments 14 Comments
      Frankdolin -
      That " Deep River Breakdown is crazy good! I don't know how you managed to include so many instruments, including an organ, in one recording and have it sound good let alone great. Great groove, really interesting.
      ahmandolin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
      That " Deep River Breakdown is crazy good! I don't know how you managed to include so many instruments, including an organ, in one recording and have it sound good let alone great. Great groove, really interesting.
      Thanks!
      I think the gutsy choice was not using guitar on this recording. Andy Falco (Dusters) and Mike Sivilli (Dangermuffin) brought a lot of jamming and energy to my first recording but I think these songs benefited from the open sound and frequencies of mandolin, organ, bass and drums. At least that was the hope.
      Paul Statman -
      Beautiful. Congratulations, and best of luck with the new album, Andrew.
      ahmandolin -
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul Statman View Post
      Thanks, Paul.
      darylcrisp -
      sounds great!
      d
      withfoam -
      This sounds really good! Love your tremolo!
      ahmandolin -
      [QUOTE=withfoam;1823322]This sounds really good! Love your tremolo![/QUOTE
      Thanks. Most likely I was using a Weegen TF 1.4 pick on these tracks or a Dawg.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Statman View Post
      Thanks! Looking forward to playing these tunes live.
      JEStanek -
      Very Nice!

Jamie
      ahmandolin -
      Quote Originally Posted by ahmandolin View Post
      Thanks!
      I think the gutsy choice was not using guitar on this recording. Andy Falco (Dusters) and Mike Sivilli (Dangermuffin) brought a lot of jamming and energy to my first recording but I think these songs benefited from the open sound and frequencies of mandolin, organ, bass and drums. At least that was the hope.
      Totally forgot about the duet A Storm with the amazing guitarist Ben Lee (Baby Coperhead).So much for the no guitar comment.
      AMandolin -
      Andrew, Holy heck. Great job. You nailed it.
      lflngpicker -
      Really wonderful sound and talent!
      ahmandolin -
      Quote Originally Posted by AMandolin View Post
      Thanks for listening!
      ahmandolin -
      Quote Originally Posted by AMandolin View Post
      Thanks! Give the rest of the record a spin if you have a chance.
      ahmandolin -
      Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
      Really wonderful sound and talent!
      Thanks!