• New Music from Acoustic Oasis - Mike Mullins 8-String Sketches

Mike Mullins 8-String Sketches

PORT TOWNSEND, WASH. — David Grisman's Acoustic Oasis has announced the release of 8-String Sketches by Mike Mullins in a download format only.

The new recording is a collection of solo mandolin arrangements from around the world and across time by California mandolinist Mike Mullins. Represented are familiar and lesser-known tunes from Ireland, Scotland, England, Canada, Early California, America, Russia, and Sweden, with a few contemporary offerings sprinkled in. An expressive and highly listenable project inspired by the performances of great solo mandolin artists past and present.

Listen

From the recording, "Three Tunes by Turlough O'Carolan."

Track Listing

• Three Tunes by Turlough O’Carolan
    • Tears In Heaven
    • Contra Dance Set
    • Beneath the Skye the Water is Wide
    • Early California Dances
    • Hey There Delilah
    • Hallelujah
    • For All We Know
    • Russian Interference
    • Caroline’s Vals (Waltz)

Additional Information

Comments 7 Comments
      Mike Mullins -
      Hey all! Mike Mullins here, and I feel honored to have "8-String Sketches" mentioned in Mandolin Cafe! I'd like to submit a small correction. I was not the producer of the Global Mandolin column for Mandolin Magazine, although that would be a nice credential! If you are interested in reading my bio, you can find it here: http://mikemullinsmusic.com/ Thanks much to everyone in the Mandolin Cafe community!
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Aw, sorry about that. Someone actually told me it was one and the same. Guess there are two guys with the same name playing a broad range of music. I'll remove that from the article.
      Mike Mullins -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
      Aw, sorry about that. Someone actually told me it was one and the same. Guess there are two guys with the same name playing a broad range of music. I'll remove that from the article.
      Interesting. I must be his evil twin! Thanks much!
      Isaac Casas -
      It sounds very very beautiful, Mike. I'm definitely going to check your album out. And I like very much how you mix pick and fingers technique with your right hand (you are, right?).

Thanks for sharing it.

Isaac
      Mike Mullins -
      Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Casas View Post
      It sounds very very beautiful, Mike. I'm definitely going to check your album out. And I like very much how you mix pick and fingers technique with your right hand (you are, right?).

Thanks for sharing it.
      Isaac
      Hi Issac! Thanks for the kind words and I'm so glad you enjoyed! Yes, it's the same "hybrid" technique I use on guitar, combining the pick with the middle finger. I used to be a fingerstyle guitar player, and when I switched over to flatpicking, I wanted to be able to retain a bit of fingerstyle facility. Many guitar players do this, but I think it works equally well on mandolin. Whether I add the second finger (or not) depends on the effect I'm trying to achieve or the demands of the tune I'm playing. Not all tunes on the project rely on hybrid picking but a bit of it creeps into most of them. I hope you enjoy the rest of the record!
      Paul Statman -
      Congratulations, Mike! This looks and sounds great. Beautiful work. Thank you.
      Mike Mullins -
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul Statman View Post
      Congratulations, Mike! This looks and sounds great. Beautiful work. Thank you.
      Thank you Paul! Much appreciated!