• Jethro Burns's Tea For One Rereleased by Acoustic Disc

Jethro Burns Tea For One

PORT TOWNSEND, WASH. — The long out-of-print and hard-to-find Jethro Burns classic Tea for One is available once again for our listening pleasure thanks to David Grisman and Acoustic Disc.

In July, 1980, Grisman produced the unique solo recording of his hero and friend, jazz mandolin pioneer (and humorist) Jethro Burns. The project was recorded in one day at 1750 Arch studios and at a live performance in Berkeley, California and released as an LP on Kaleidoscope Records.

Acoustic Disc is now delighted to make this mandolin classic available in a newly expanded Deluxe Edition, including seven previously unreleased tracks and additional story telling, re-mastered in the sonically superior high-definition (24-bit, 96 khz) format.

Listen

From the recording, the track "Rip-Off."

Track Listing

In the studio:

• Introduction
    • There Is No Greater Love
    • Tea For Two
    • Medley: Somewhere Over the Rainbow/When You Wish Upon a Star
    • Nola
    • Willow Weep For Me
    • Crazy Rhythm
    • Wave
    • Lullaby of Birdland
    • Deep Purple
    • Rip-Off
    • Funiculi Funicula

Live:

• Introduction
    • Deep Purple
    • Sophisticated Lady
    • Wave
    • Rip-Off
    • Mandolin Picker's Epitaph
    • All the Things You Are
    • Willow Weep For Me
    • Crazy Rhythm
    • So Long, It's Been Good To Know You

Additional Information

Jethro Burns - Tea For One
    Comments 13 Comments
      AlanN -
      What a release! Consisting of studio and live tracks, with some previously-unissued tunes, this is so welcome. Back in the day, the hunt was on for the vinyl, cassette copies of the album, anything! Jethro's playing, song selection, banter and wit are unmatched.

Thanks, Dawg!
      Don Stiernberg -
      Wow!
      on Friday I was talking to a class about chord-melody a/k/a "Jethro Style", mentioning recordings that featured ample displays of his pioneering technique. I said "one you gotta get is 'Tea For One', but I'm not sure which format you'll find it in.."
      So here it is Monday and here's the announcement of the re-release! Amazing. My re-tooled statement from the other day now goes like this:

One you gotta get is TEA FOR ONE, just re-released on ACOUSTIC DISC, including un-released tracks, hi-Def audio, and the usual brilliant production from David Grisman.

Thank you Mr. Dawg, Tracy, and Acoustic Disc for bringing this golden masterpiece out in it's entirety.
      mandopops -
      I still have my vinyl copy. For years I was going to dub it to a CD, but I figured Dawg would get it done. So I waited & waited &… Finally, he did, & with bonus trax!
      Thanx, Dawg.
      Viva, Jethro. My 1st teacher & ever grateful.
      Joe B
      Bren -
      Thanks Dawg and Mandolin Cafe!
      Downloading now!

Rip-off was one of the many tunes I didn't understand when I bought Jethro's book in 1980.

I hadn't even heard any Jethro recordings at the time.

I didn't know anything about him really, but I had got a gig in a hybrid jugband run by an old jazzer, and I knew I had to try to learn some of the stuff I could see in the book.

More recently, decades later, I heard Carlo Aonzo's versions of Rip-Off and Reuben Sandwich , began to understand, and pulled out the old book again.
      tjmangum -
      In ordering, what does "CD flac" mean?
      Ray(T) -
      CD Flac. - not entirely sure but FLAC is a lossless compression format unlike MP3 which offers a slightly degraded sound quality.

I assume this recording is only available for download and there isn’t a physical copy on offer? Or is there a CD on which the music is FLAC encoded?
      Tweeetys -
      I am behind time. Which format works with iPhone to listen while driving?
      giannisgrass -
      No physical from Acoustic Disc any more for us old-timers...
      Ray(T) -
      iPhone - MP3

“No physical” - I still have a phobia about paying for something which doesn’t actually exist!
      Drew Egerton -
      Awesome! I recently picked up a used vinyl copy but it will be good to have a nice digital one as well. Acoustic Disc also has the Jethro Legacy download which has like 60 tunes on it, may as well pick them both up while I am at it...
      keith.rogers -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tweeetys View Post
      I am behind time. Which format works with iPhone to listen while driving?
      iTunes can import any of those formats but it will use a lossy encoding (m4a) when it transfers the songs to your iPhone. How lossy depends on your settings.

FWIW, I use 192k for on the iPhone but encode at 320 when ripping another iTunes setting) the odd CD I buy. I know I can’t hear the difference when listening in a car or on earbuds while huffing and puffing on the treadmill - pretty sure I couldn’t hear in 99.9% of cases either.

I’d get flac if you want to burn an audio CD or have some super high-end audio system and are into that sort of thing, but you’d probably know that already if you were! (Flac is compressed to create smaller files than other non-lossy formats but still consumes a lot of space.)
      keith.rogers -
      Quote Originally Posted by giannisgrass View Post
      No physical from Acoustic Disc any more for us old-timers...
      They still have some offerings in CDs, at least they did as of a couple months ago.

And, I recently found a brand new, sealed copy of Tone Poets! (I don't buy CDs much anymore because of the waste, but wanted the booklet for this one.)

Attachment 195057
      Tweeetys -
      Quote Originally Posted by still_fiddlin View Post
      iTunes can import any of those formats but it will use a lossy encoding (m4a) when it transfers the songs to your iPhone. How lossy depends on your settings.

FWIW, I use 192k for on the iPhone but encode at 320 when ripping another iTunes setting) the odd CD I buy. I know I can’t hear the difference when listening in a car or on earbuds while huffing and puffing on the treadmill - pretty sure I couldn’t hear in 99.9% of cases either.

I’d get flac if you want to burn an audio CD or have some super high-end audio system and are into that sort of thing, but you’d probably know that already if you were! (Flac is compressed to create smaller files than other non-lossy formats but still consumes a lot of space.)
      Thank you very much