• Critically Acclaimed Dawg Jazz / Dawg Grass Re-Released by Acoustic Disc

Dawg Jazz / Dawg Grass

PORT TOWNSEND, WA. — Acoustic Disc has announced the long-awaited digital release of David Grisman's Dawg Jazz / Dawg Grass, the critically acclaimed 1983 Warner Brothers LP, out of print for over three decades.

This Deluxe Edition of classic studio performances features David with Tony Rice and Martin Taylor on guitars, Darol Anger on fiddle, Mike Marshall on mandolin, guitar and fiddle, dobro virtuoso Jerry Douglas with Rob Wasserman on bass. This unique project also features two very special guests — the master of bluegrass banjo, Earl Scruggs, pickin' Dawg's only banjo composition, "Dawggy Mountain Breakdown" (the National Public Radio show Car Talk theme) and jazz violin titan, Stephane Grappelli playing David's tribute to him, "Steppin’ with Stephane." To top it all off, the title track, "Dawg Jazz" features the Tonight Show Big Band!

This new Deluxe Edition also features seven previously unissued bonus tracks and is available in the sonically superior Hi-Definition format.

Of special interest to mandolin aficionados are three takes of "Wayfaring Stranger" featuring Dawg playing Lloyd Loar's unique 10-string mando-viola, pictured below.

Listen

From Dawg Jazz, the title track of the same name.

From Dawg Grass, a sample of "Dawggy Mountain Breakdown."

Track Listing - Dawg Jazz

• Dawg Jazz
    • Steppin’ with Stephane
    • Fumble Bee
    • In a Sentimental Mood
    • Dawg Jazz alternate mix (bonus track)
    • Steppin’ with Stephane alternate (bonus track)
    • In a Sentimental Mood alternate (bonus track)

Track Listing - Dawg Grass

• 14 Miles to Barstow
    • Swamp Dawg
    • Dawggy Mountain Breakdown
    • Wayfaring Stranger
    • Happy Birthday Bill Monroe
    • Dawg Grass
    • Wayfaring Stranger alternate 1 (bonus track)
    • Opus 38 previously unissued (bonus track)
    • Swamp Dawg alternate (bonus track)
    • Wayfaring Stranger alternate 2 (bonus track)

Additional Information

David Grisman with Lloyd Loar's unique 10-string mando-viola
    David Grisman with Lloyd Loar's unique 10-string mando-viola
    Comments 7 Comments
      Glassweb -
      One of David's best releases... and the cuts with Grappelli are sublime! Get it!
      lowtone2 -
      Finally! This album introduced me to many things, including the mandolin itself, and all those marvelous musicians. Still a favorite.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      Fond memories of the "Dawg Jazz" track. It was the opening riff on a late night progressive acoustic music show on Kansas Public Radio that ran for years, starting Sunday nights at 10:00 p.m. It's a killer piece of music.
      AlanN -
      Immediately purchased the HD-FLAC release. This LP was my intro to Martin Taylor. So good.
      Mando Mafia -
      I remember seeing Grisman’s Quartet(Dawg, Darol, Mike and Rob) at the Trafalmadore Cafe in Buffalo when they were touring this album. When they played ‘Dawg Jazz’ the band imitated the horns of the Tonight Show band by bringing the headstocks of their instruments to their lips as though they were blowing them. Hilarious! They played two separate shows back to back, and we only had tickets for the first show. After that show was over, Mike Marshall was having a drink at the bar and I got to talking with him & he invited me and my then wife to stay for the second show. Nice!

There was a DVD of that band playing live in Toronto as part of that tour…anybody else seen that?

Pete
      Glassweb -
      Yes! In fact the DVD of this amazing show can be purchased on a web site named after a certain river in South America...
      Drew Egerton -
      found an old used copy on vinyl a while back but definitely getting these HD versions, very cool!