• Gibson Brands, Inc. v. Gibson Brands, Inc. Lawsuit Filed in Federal Court

Gibson v. Gibson

NASHVILLE, TENN. — In a move legal scholars are calling unprecedented, Gibson Brands, Inc. has filed suit against itself in Federal Court for the Middle District of Tennessee for building and selling substandard knock-offs of iconic musical instruments pioneered by Gibson as early as the 1920s but extending into the 1970s and 80s (ie., Gibson Brands, Inc. named as "Accused Infringer").

Contacted for comment about the litigation, a spokesperson for Bates & Bates, LLC of Atlanta, long-time representatives for Gibson Brands, Inc. told us, "It's certainly out of the ordinary and like nothing we've ever been asked to engage in, but we could find no precedent for why a legal challenge cannot go forward. By law we cannot represent both plaintiff and defendant, so the defendant, Gibson Brands, Inc., will have to find separate counsel to represent it. The company is committed to protecting the integrity of its classic designs, and will not allow anyone, including Gibson, to diminish that integrity. We are confident going forward in the fact that we will prevail against ourselves."

"A move like this shows their legal team has been instructed to take the gloves off to halt Gibson Brands, Inc. from profiting on the backs of the the talented luthiers and craftsmen that built 'The Gibson' as a legendary brand in America," said a spokesperson for The Nashville Business Journal.

The Journal continued, "There may be a number of additional reasons for this action. A significant amount of revenue spent on a legal challenge combined with creative accounting maneuvers could result in a larger net loss, reducing state and federal taxes and actually bringing in more revenue than anticipated.

"But if we were placing bets, our money would be on the the sale NFTs (Non-Fungible Tokens) of the legal paperwork, nearly priceless as a groundbreaking new revenue stream. The corporate world is watching and sure to follow their lead.

"There's also the incredible amount of attention such a move will generate, something Gibson Brands, Inc. enjoys, even when the news about them is mostly negative as it has been the past few years."

This story is developing and will be updated.

Additional Information

Comments 25 Comments
      CES -
      😹😹😹
      theinone -
      Appreciate the April Fools joke... but I did go to the link for Gibson site and right off the top - "Olive Drab" as a custom colour? What - no camo sunburst, or is Gibson playing along with the humor of the day.
      sgarrity -
      This one almost got me….
      MikeEdgerton -
      I think I saw this on a television show last night

bbcee -
      I'm embarrassed to say you get me every year. "We are confident going forward in the fact that we will prevail against ourselves." was when I caught a clue.

Thanks for the laugh!
      Sue Rieter -
      That's pretty good. You had me over the (IMHO) ridiculous concept of NFT's.
      journeybear -
      After reading this and verifying its veracity in a few other sources, and learning more about each side's legal arguments, I've found myself torn between the two. Both are presenting compelling opinions. But the more I think about it, I'm fairly confident that, in the end, Gibson will prevail. That is, if the case ever reaches a conclusion after years of litigation.
      MontanaMatt -
      Haha, I forgot what today’s date was….
      Got me, good one!
      Sad that story didn’t seem outlandish!
      Rush Burkhardt -
      Sadly, this would be entirely believable (aside from April 1), knowing both entities (Gibson and the US judicial systems)!
      CES -
      I’m still waiting for the Real Tree camo carbon fiber Bass Pro Shops mandolin…
      j4music -
      No fooling?
      Cheryl Watson -
      Oh, Yeah, I was in the "WHAT??" zone for a moment there because I was busy this morning, not thinking about it being April 1st today, and because it seems lawsuits can be over anything these days, even children trying to sue their parents for having them. Good one!
      journeybear -
      Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
      I’m still waiting for the Real Tree camo carbon fiber Bass Pro Shops mandolin…
      Ah yes - the hunting-fishing-hiking-camping-outdoors model. The one that visually blends into its surroundings. Last I heard (kinda) they're still having problems with the auditory section, getting the sound to blend in so as not to alert the quarry of the player's presence. Turns out it's pretty tricky to do that.
      Louise NM -
      Between Gibson's litigiousness and the willingness of some lawyers to take most anything to court., this is plausible.
      CES -
      Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
      Ah yes - the hunting-fishing-hiking-camping-outdoors model. The one that visually blends into its surroundings. Last I heard (kinda) they're still having problems with the auditory section, getting the sound to blend in so as not to alert the quarry of the player's presence. Turns out it's pretty tricky to do that.
      😹😹😹
      dhergert -
      Got me! Cleverly done, I read the article to my wife thinking it was true, then I remembered what day it is.

Only problem is this may give some legal departments some ideas about monetizing NFT usage online. Shhhhhh, don't talk about it.
      slimt -
      It would not surprize me at all. As funny as it is. Happy April Fools.
      trodgers -
      I hope they make Orville Gibson pay!
      Denny Gies -
      Good on you Scott. Almost, I mean almost, got me too. Thanks.
      JEStanek -
      Always satisfactory. Only the Fakest News is Good Enough!

Jamie