• New Music from Acoustic Disc - The Tony Rice Unit Live at the Birchmere

The Tony Rice Unit Live at the Birchmere

PORT TOWNSEND, WASH. — Acoustic Disc has announced the release of The Tony Rice Unit Live at the Birchmere in download format.

On October 13, 1987 the legendary master of acoustic guitar, Tony Rice, played two inspired sets with his band at the Birchmere, one of the country's premiere intimate music venues. His band, the Tony Rice Unit, included his younger brother, Wyatt Rice on guitar, mandolinist and vocalist extraordinaire Jimmy Gaudreau on mandolin, bassist Mark Schatz and a special guest, fiddler Jon Glik who joined the group for five tunes. The amazing music that night was recorded by celebrated sound engineer, Bill Wolf.

Both shows are included here in their entirety, featuring Tony and his group playing and singing many of the classic tunes that he made his own. In producer David Grisman's words, "This collection features Tony in his prime, playing live and playing great! This band was on fire that night. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do."

Listen

From the recording, "Age."

Track Listing

SET 1

• Intro / Cold on the Shoulder
    • Girl from the North Country
    • The Gold Rush
    • Ginseng Sullivan
    • Band Intros
    • Wyatt's Original
    • Sixteen Miles
    • More Pretty Girls Than One
    • My Favorite Things
    • Early Morning Rain
    • New Camptown Races
    • There Ain't Nobody Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone
    • Fare Thee Well
    • Nine Pound Hammer (partial)

SET 2

• Intro / Little Sadie
    • Orphan Annie
    • Song for a Winter's Night
    • The Likes of Me
    • John Hardy
    • Leather Britches
    • This Morning at Nine
    • Footprints in the Snow
    • Daybreak in Dixie
    • Ten Degrees and Getting Colder
    • Me and My Guitar (partial)

Additional Information

Comments 7 Comments
      Mandolin Cafe -
      This entire recording is nothing short of jaw dropping. Rice is enough, but Jimmy on mandolin is just smoking everything. What an amazing collection of music. Wow...
      Perry -
      Gonna have to get this. Sample track sounds amazing. Tony was the best.
      doc holiday -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
      This entire recording is nothing short of jaw dropping. Rice is enough, but Jimmy on mandolin is just smoking everything. What an amazing collection of music. Wow...
      I always wondered why Mandolin Cafe, or David Benedict (maybe) or Fretboard Journal didn't do a recorded interview with Jimmy Gaudreau ?
      danielpatrick -
      Hold that thought!
      mingusb1 -
      For those in the know would Wyatt have done any guitar lead at all during these sets? Just wondering.
      MandoRock65 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mingusb1 View Post
      For those in the know would Wyatt have done any guitar lead at all during these sets? Just wondering.
      On his original tune (Wyatt's original), I'm sure he plays lead. It sounds like he's playing lead on several other cuts also.
      bbcee -
      Look forward to that interview Daniel!

I recently discovered Jimmy’s music, and apart from the other stellar talents on this record, gonna have to buy it just for him being on it.