• New Music - Mike Marshall Mandocello Solo J.S. Bach Cello Suite #2 BWV 1008

Mike Marshall Mandocello Solo J​.​S. Bach Cello Suite #2 BWV 1008

WUPPERTAL, GERMANY — Mike Marshall has announced the release of Mike Marshall Mandocello Solo J​.​S. Bach Cello Suite #2 BWV 1008, available for purchase on Bandcamp. The release of Suite #2 comes on the heels of last year's release of J.S. Bach Cello Suite #1 BWV 1007, also performed on mandocello.

Listen

From the recording, "Gigue Bach Cello Suite #2 Dm BWV-1008."

Track Listing

• Prelude Bach Suite #2 Dm BWV-1008
    • Allemande Bach Cello Suite #2 Dm BWV-1008
    • Courante Bach Cello Suite #2 Dm BWV-1008
    • Sarabande Bach Cello Suite #2 Dm BWV-1008
    • Minuets I-II Bach Cello Suite #2 Dm BWV-1008
    • Gigue Bach Cello Suite #2 Dm BWV-1008

Additional Information

Comments 5 Comments
      Paul Statman -
      Mondo Music Monstro, Mike Marshall. Always a treat.
      Mandophile -
      Rudy would be so sproud of you! The mandocello was his mandolin sweetheart!
      CHASAX -
      Want to hear Mike Marshall play the Prelude to Suite #6. Casals played it best.
      Mandolin Cafe -
      An insightful and entertaining Q&A interview from the Artistworks blog just posted: Mike Marshall Releases Mike Marshall Mandocello J.S. Bach Cello Suite No. 2, BWV 1008

Attachment 201799
      Jim Imhoff -
      I like what Mike says about "What Bach wanted this music to sound like." Of course we'll never know exactly, but there is plenty of historical literature and period style documentation to guide us. Great music should never be "look what I can do!" it should be "listen to this wonderful music."
      I have heard European scholars argue that American mandolinists play classical music like fiddle tunes. Some of that has to do with arch top vs. bowl back and picking technique, but it also has to do with strongly embedded Euro-centric traditions in classical music. I was trained and initially taught in that tradition, and probably disrespected some great artists from other less "artsy" cultural backgrounds. Masters like Mike Marshall, Chris Thiele, and the Modern Mandolin Quartet are raising the level and notoriety of classical mandolins everywhere, and if there is a fresh non-Euro-academic approach, there is still profound respect for the music as opposed to either the established textbook method or the star quality of the players.
      By the same token, I am disappointed when I hear people at bluegrass festivals complain about Sierra Hull or Chris Thiele playing "that classical crap." Same narrow definition of music and how it should be played.
      Keep them cello sweets comin' Mike.
      jim